Dry eye induced from DCR surgery on a possible Sjogren's sufferer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eye induced from DCR surgery on a possible Sjogren's sufferer

Hello there, from Australia here. 37yr old male. Apparently I had dry eyes and didn't know it. I had no symptoms of dryness other than some blood shot sclera when using computer late at night. I never needed to use drops. However my left eye started to water, it got progressively worse and I was diagnosed with "nasolacrimal duct obstruction" via a saline syringe test. I was given no indication as to what caused it at all....and was recommended to have surgery....that's where the real trouble began. I had a very bad year in 2007 including a major relationship breakup and pets dying. The last thing I needed was for a surgical procedure go wrong to add to the list of Yr 2007 tragedies. But it happened.
    I had a Dacryocystorhinostomy (DCR) in September 2007 (an operation to create an artificial tear duct to allow drainage of tears). It caused multiple complications including dry eye symptoms in that one eye. I began a descent into hell. Severe depression set in (compounded by the fact there were less invasive procedures available that I wasn't told about). Counselling didn't help at all and after four months of no improvement, I had no choice - had to go on anti-depressants. That was a merri-go round ride of trial and error, side effects, etc. One particular anti-depressant put me in hospital. Then I took matters into my own hands and researched anti-depressants. I found one that sounded promising and asked my doctor to put me on it. The result was a swift improvement in my depression and absolutely no side effects. This proves we have to take responsibility for our own health these days.
    I have a heart felt compassion for all the LASIK surgery dry eye victims. Have any of you SUED your Lasik therapist? I am considering suing and will begin a thread on this topic and explain my situation in more detail there.
    I'm using Bion Tears every 20 minutes, Thera Tears every two hours (half a vial on each eye), swapping between Visco Tears & Genteal Gel, sometimes Poly Visc ointment at night (yes I heard ointments can make DES worse). I also occasionally use Lacriserts (they give me a break from the nuisance of constant eye drop application). I've recently found an eye lid scrub in the morning very useful. So picking up ideas along the way.
    I may have Sjogren's Syndrome as indicated by a marvelous eye doctor I found - so looking into therapy for that too.
    I really look forward to communicating with you all.

Welcome

Dear DCRdryeye,

Your story sounds so familiar-- dry eye for whatever reason, doctors who don't "get it," rigorous research to correct the problem on your own time. You are to be commended for all of your efforts and for researching on your own. This part of your post is inspiring: "Then I took matters into my own hands and researched anti-depressants. I found one that sounded promising and asked my doctor to put me on it. The result was a swift improvement in my depression and absolutely no side effects. This proves we have to take responsibility for our own health these days."

Your case sounds like one where Dr. Holly's drops might work. You may want to check with your doctor, since it sounds like he / she is responsive to things that you discover and want to try. It sounds like you are trying too many drops, however. Drugstore drops, which I tried for two years before I had such serious problems that I was seeing the doctor about it, made things worse for me. Seriously, I get more relief from dabbing a damp washcloth across closed eyelids than I get from even preservative-free drops.

Tranquileyes might help, too.

I cannot speak to DCR, but I would not be surprised if someone here could. We have lots of incidental experts here, and I mean that in a bitter-sweet way-- that many of us are not in the health field but learn a lot about our health because of problems that we wish we did not have.

Take care,
    Liz

Comment

Working...
    X