Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another newbie - Photo inside...

Hi!

It's great to of found this place! Like many of said, I had just assumed I was the only one with this. I'm 26 in New Zealand, but have had a problem with red eyes since I was about 15.

It seems to come and go, like I might have it bad for a week or more, then be fine for a little bit. It seems to depend what they're like in the morning (why is it that sleeping always sets them off or not?). It's almost never bad in both eyes, usually just the same one for a long while, and often worst on only one side of the eye ball. I was wondering if other people find that too?

I got an allergy test done once and almost everything they tested for came out as having some sort of reaction :/ But I know it tends to be worse when we light the fire here, or I watch a movie with the lights off.

Also like a lot of people here it seems, I over used Naphcon-A eye drops, not knowing there were long term effects I've completely stopped using it now, but it's hard sometimes, especially since I work in a retail store so I'm always around people

Thanks for reading! Hugs 4 everyone!!

Hello TailsNZ and welcome! I think with long term care for your red eyes, they can get better. I abused eyedrops for about 5 to 10 years (Prefrin, Visine for Red Eye, etc.) with BAK preservative and boy were my eyes red for a long time. I still have my times, but much much less. If you start researching within this website, you will find all sorts of good ideas! Best wishes! Judy

Comment

Thanks Judy!!

My old GP had no idea what was wrong with my eyes, so I'm very keen to research around here and join in yeah. I saw Viva Eye Drops were recommended because they don't have any preservative in them.

Just to check though, does that mean there's no long term damage if I do use them? Even knowing that I'd only feel safe using them occasionally, but I'm very nervous about putting anything in my eye now.

Comment

Hi TailsNZ, I'm pretty leary of most eyedrops myself that state 'they remove the redeye'. This is my personal opinion, but I think you may want to try eyedrops for moisturizing purposes versus to remove the red and they might actually end up removing the red due to helping alleviate the dryness. You should probably see eye dr. to check for MGD or blepharitis. If you don't have the $, you could try using warm compresses at night on your eyes for 5 to 10 minutes (NOT HOT, just warm ) and see if things improve over time. If so, your meimobian glands are probably clogged and the warmth will unclog them over time. If you do this and then your eyes feel much better, then it is working. I use Refresh Plus eyedrops a bunch, but there are many others available. Sounds like you have some reading to do. Kind of hard when your eyes are red and dry, but you might come up with a plan that helps! Dr. Latkany's book is excellent also. Good luck! Judy

Comment

Sounds good, and you're certainly right about a lot of reading to do.

I've made an appointment with an eye doctor next Tuesday *keeps all my fingers and toes crossed that goes well* and I bought Systane a month or two ago after seeing someone here recommend it. I didn't notice any change with them, but I should of tried using them every day / several times a day probably? It's also got a preservative in it.

Most of what has me worried is they've haven't been this bad for so long for many many years. I was trying to think what might of caused it and I found a 2nd bottle of Naphcon-A I hadn't threw out, an older one. I wonder if I used that by mistake I know it says to not use them after 4 weeks after opening, but could it be really bad if I had?

Comment

Hi Tails!

You definitely need to see a doctor! Your eyes look very painful and possibly infected. No, I can't tell for sure and no one else can on the internet either. Judy is right about the warm compresses and artificial tears. BAK is certainly a no-no, but upon seeing an eye doc, they'll tell you how to help heal your eyes. IF THEY ARE OF NO HELP...Find another doctor who can help you.

Great support here on DEZ!! I hope your eyes feel better real soon. Lucy
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Thanks

I just looked at the ingredients list of Systane and thankfully that's different. There's enough stuff in there though :/ Huge list, lol.

Yeah hopefully this place helps, there doesn't seem to be a lot of eye doctors in this city.

Comment

Worth a drive

It's worth a drive to another city to get this diagnosed and under control. The skin around your eyes looks very dry and irritated too. If you can't see an eye doctor in the town you live in, consider a drive to another town.

Billye

Comment

I analyzed your eye photo

[QUOTE=TailsNZ;31910]Hi!

Hi I'm an ophthalmologist in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. I looked at your photo. I noticed that you have acne rosacea. This is very common in fair skinned people. You also seem to have an episcleritis in the left eye. Both of these conditions are common to dry eye patients. I do not recommend using naphcon for long term treatment. Amils steroid for short term anti inflammatory treatment followed by meibomian gland expressions done on a monthly basis s your best treatment choice.

Comment

Meibomian Glands from mt new website

This is a short synopsis of the meibomian gland and expression treatment from my new website. Evenly spaced along the margins of all four of our lids are 140 tiny pores or openings. These are the openings of the meibomian glands. These glandular openings are frequently occluded due to allergy, sun damage, blepharitis, eyelid droop, poor lid contact to eye surface, roseacea, psoriasis and seborrhea. This problem gets overlooked in the vast majority of eye examinations. Each meibomian gland secretes a viscous, oily sebum or secretion. Beyond its well known quality of stabilizing the tear film to make our eyes feel comfortable it also has both antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. I have found it to be a natural barrier to ocular surface infection and was surprised to learn how potent an anti-inflammatory it is. Immediately following expressions most of my patients feel the instantaneous relief of dry eye irritation and on looking in a mirror notice the dramatic loss of redness. Practically every patient gets an improvement in overall visual acuity because this gland secretion maintains a smoother and therefore clearer cornea (the clear window of the eye). Less pain, less redness, better vision, healthier corneal surface and no side effects, the perfect medicine resides in each of us. The pharmaceutical companies have nothing even close.

Comment

Meibomian Glands from my new website

This is a short synopsis of the meibomian gland and expression treatment from my new website. Evenly spaced along the margins of all four of our lids are 140 tiny pores or openings. These are the openings of the meibomian glands. These glandular openings are frequently occluded due to allergy, sun damage, blepharitis, eyelid droop, poor lid contact to eye surface, roseacea, psoriasis and seborrhea. This problem gets overlooked in the vast majority of eye examinations. Each meibomian gland secretes a viscous, oily sebum or secretion. Beyond its well known quality of stabilizing the tear film to make our eyes feel comfortable it also has both antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties. I have found it to be a natural barrier to ocular surface infection and was surprised to learn how potent an anti-inflammatory it is. Immediately following expressions most of my patients feel the instantaneous relief of dry eye irritation and on looking in a mirror notice the dramatic loss of redness. Practically every patient gets an improvement in overall visual acuity because this gland secretion maintains a smoother and therefore clearer cornea (the clear window of the eye). Less pain, less redness, better vision, healthier corneal surface and no side effects, the perfect medicine resides in each of us. The pharmaceutical companies have nothing even close.

Comment

episcleritis

Whats the difference between episcleritis and conjuctivitis?
                        Occupation - Optimistologist

Comment

Originally posted by GILWITEYE View Post
                          This is a short synopsis of the meibomian gland and expression treatment from my new website.
                          What is your web site address?

C

Comment

My eyes have looked like yours - so your not alone - I would say you have an inflammed eye - need to start on a steroid - I was hooked on Clear Eyes for 20 yrs - so I know the drill - I can tell you I have been off them for 14 months and my eyes are ok - I do have bad days like everyone - but for the most part you will get better -

Comment

Back from the doctors

Wow, lots of replies!

Back from the doctors now, he said I have something which he wrote down the name to, but now looking at it, I can't figure out how to spell it. But it must be episcleritis, just with the strangest "p" I've ever seen :P

Anyways, apparently there's nothing that can stop it happening again and again, but steroids can help calm it down. He gave me a prescription for 3 months worth of Maxidex 0.1% eye drops. It contains Dexamethasone 1mg/mL and Benzalkonium chloride 0.1% mg/mL as preservative. If that means anything?

He said for 4 drops in my left eye a day, 2 in the right, then slowly reduce the number of drops to 0 over 4 weeks. And not to keep using steroids for over 6 weeks at a time.

So steroids match what GILWITEYE and Tim said. The meibomian gland expressions sounds fantastic, I'm with calli66, what's your website address? Thanks for that!

It's so good to finally know what this is, and to have people here to talk with and to know it'll get a bit better Apparently the difference between it and conjuctivitis is there's no discharge or tearing.

Comment

Working...
                              X