Cautiously Hopefull

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cautiously Hopefull

Hello everyone. I have been suffering from dry eyes for just over a year and have now decided it's time to get a proper diagnosis from an opthamologist (not my family doc or the optometrist -- who both pretty much told me "you're getting old; get used to it".)

When all this started, I too went the route of using OTC drops every 5 or 10 minutes until out of desparation I called an opthamologist office and whoever answered the phone immediately warned me about overuse of preservative drops. That was during my first major "attack", and once I stopped using the drops, my problems immediately went away. I began steadfastly using Liposic gel at night and taking omega-3 supplements and my problems were intermittent and manageable for the last year or so.

Until about 4 weeks ago (coincidentally; the beginning of fall season), when things really flared up again. This time, I'm seeing more "veins" in the white of my eye, with the sensation that there is something in my eye everytime my eyeball strays over to that area. I started to feel that the warm compresses (which I was doing at least a couple times a day) were making it worse and have switched to cold ones now, which seem to making the veiny spots clear up. Nothing has ever seemed unusual about my eyelid margins -- the inner corner of my eyes are often itchy. I started using Dwelle a few days ago, and can report that it definitely makes it more bearable.

I also have purchased a pair of moisture goggles from the shop and am trying to get used to them for night-use. I'm making a point of at least napping with them a few times a day and it's coming along.

It's a great comfort to come to this site and know I am not alone. I've had such low moments over the past month and am really trying to keep a positive attitude. It's just that I've never had an episode that lasted this long and the thought of being in this much discomfort indefinitely is sometimes overwhelmingly depressing.

I am so thankful for this site and look forward to some answers once I see the opthamologist. I suspect the cause of my problem is peri-menopausal but we'll see.

Have a good day everyone

Debbi

Hi Debbi

When my dry eye started, the internet was not around and I recall going to the library to try and research what I could from medical encyclopaedias ! It was a lonely and painful pursuit as you can imagine. Lots of black & white images of the eye and text in `medical speak'. Nothing for the layperson of course. We have come a long way since then but there's still some way to go.

Like you - I have had the comments about age - which I suspect might be aimed at women more than men but perhaps I am wrong. (No offence intended at anyone).

Those making the comments about `getting used to it....' I assume have `got used to it' themselves to be able to give out this advice? The good thing about this community is that we all know what it's like and we are at different points of the journey.

Take care now

Comment

welcome Debbi, but sorry you've got to he here in the first place, if you know what I mean.

At least you're among people who know an awful lot about the condition, and between us we have a lot of experience.

I think in your case it's important to try and establish the cause of your dry eyes...is meibomian gland dysfunction involved, for instance? or occular rosacea?

the more you know about the causative factors, the more you can do to help yourself.

keep reading, and see you around. 'scuse the pun
      Last edited by eva b; 14-Sep-2008, 09:58. Reason: senior moment - not paying attention

Comment

Working...
      X