New to dry eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to dry eye

Hi. I was just diagnosed a couple of months ago with dry eye combined with blepharitis and MGD. What drove me to the doctor was debilitating light sensitivity. I've been on Restasis for a month, Azasite for two weeks and doxycycline for three weeks. I use lid scrubs, warm compresses and artificial tears. What started out as two hour episodes of extreme light sensitivity has now increased to daily episodes that last seven or eight hours, usually starting about noon. When it hits, work is nearly impossible and driving is dangerous. Being outside is terribly painful. I work in an office environment, on a computer. My co-workers are patient, but anyone is going to get tired of someone not pulling their weight. I ride share to work, but there are many occasions when I have to drive. I usually accomplish this feat by using only one eye at a time, the open eye red and tearing. My last hope is the punctal plugs my ophthalmologist will insert on Monday. Do these help right away? I'm very discouraged and my husband is discussing disability, which sounds crazy to me. What insurance company would pay for disability on the basis of dry eyes? I want my life back.

I am having a hard time at work as well. Like you, I work on a computer all day. I never dreamed that the dry eye would go on for so long. I assumed that after a month or two, I would be back to normal. At first, everyone at work, including my boss, was very understanding, now everyone is suggesting that I learn to deal with or Accept it. Well, it is very difficult to deal with the excessive pain. In regards to disability, I often wonder too. I have a great education, job, staff, etc. and often find that this disease is very dehabilitating enough to make me want to stay home too.

I had temporary plugs put in on Friday. It was amazing to feel tears again. However, I personally, am having trouble with mucus. Yet, many, many others have been very successful with the plugs. I would recommend trying the plugs, since I felt immediate relief. If you don't like them, they can be removed.

I was telling someone today about my theory on my new life. Never complained about kids, husband, have a great job, loved life. I didn't wake up one day and decide I hated my life, Dry Eye just happened. Thus, my new life.

I hope all goes well with you. Remember, you are not alone in this.

Comment

Welcome! Light sensitivity was one of the first symptoms of my DES. It is a constant problem for me and one made even worse with the onset of a cataract. Night driving is tough. I found some night vision goggles that are like sunglasses. You can get them to clip over glasses, wear over glasses, or as a regular sunglasses. They have an amber color to them. They really help cut the glare. I have been known to wear them at work when the glare is particularly bothersome. Getting your inflammation under control will help with the light sensitivity, but until then, try looking at your world through amber color glasses! Here is a link to the site where I purchased mine. No, I am not affiliated with the company! It is just one example. Just google night glare goggles. http://www.polarizedoptics.com/
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

New to dry eyes

Thank you, everyone, for your kind words. I know before this happened to me I would never have considered DES to be a serious condition. Most people think, use some eye drops and you'll be fine. If it were only that simple. I didn't realize how this condition can practically stop your life in it's tracks. It can keep you from working and leave you nearly house-bound.

I wear glasses, yet I can walk across a room and feel the air hitting my eyes. I know that's not normal. At work I've had all the fluorescents removed from above my desks to reduce glare.

How do you explain this condition to others in such a way that they appreciate the severity and the life impact this condition can have? I had a hard time communicating this to my latest ophthalmologist because I didn't want to drive there with full blown symptoms - it's dangerous.

I'll check out the clip-on goggles. Thanks for the tip!

Maggie

Comment

Working...
        X