intro, my situation, eyeaches, lasik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• intro, my situation, eyeaches, lasik

Looking for someone with similar symptoms and, of course, any solutions or suggestions. I used to have terrible pain wearing contacts which drove me to Lasik. The surgery was succesful, but now there are new problems. The symptoms are sore, irritated eyes and headaches localized behind the eye. These symptoms generally appear in one eye at a time. These complications are seriously compromising my life, e.g. unable to work, as many of you are sufferiung from as well as i can tell from posts on this forum.

Lasik can cause rapid fluctuations in your vision. Although 6 months after the surgery my vision had settled near 20/20, by 18 months power in one eye dropped and I acquired corrective lenses. My doctor hypothesized that the change in relative eye strength led to one eye working harder than another during detail work (looking at something at a fixed distance, book, TV, computer, etc) and then headaches.

Now it's been almost 3 years since the surgery and I recently got a second pair of corrective lenses. They helped for a while, but then I notice they same problems, fatigue soreness, headaches. Again, the symptoms are generally a result of detail work.

Now my doctor says my eyes are dry and I have just been prescribed Restasis. However, my symptoms nearly vanish if I can get through the day without looking at a book, TV screen, or computer (hard in my profession). So am not sure if it is even dry eyes, anyone with similar symptoms?

thank you

follow up

Well the increasing pain and inability to use one eye (the only way i can work is to keep my one tired eye shut) sent me back to my doctor. My prescription hasn't changed and besides some inflamation, he didn't find anything. I guess this is a good thing, although it doesn't suggest any remedies. He advised I stop using restasis now after using it for 6 weeks (to avoid possible harm, e.g. allergic reactions). Considering my symptoms existed before i was put on restasis, i am not expecting much progress from this decision.

again i'll ask if anyone has suggestions for relief.. my eyes don't often feel dry, but it feels like somethings pressing on it all the time - one eye. the other one is feels great.

Comment

You wrote:

"My doctor hypothesized that the change in relative eye strength led to one eye working harder than another during detail work (looking at something at a fixed distance, book, TV, computer, etc) and then headaches."

This sounds like an intelligent assessment of focusing strain---which can give you headaches and eyeaches. Have you asked for mild reading glasses ("plus" power)--to help with nearwork like reading and computer?

You may want to ask your eye doctor about some vision training exercises to help your brain learn to use both eyes together. There are even eye charts, diagrams, and a "Brock String" exercise that you can do on your own. You will then have a better understanding of what is happening with your vision fluctuations from day to day. This is a form of self-education---work with a distance chart about 10 ft. away, and also with a chart meant for reading. Cover each eye alternately and compare how clearly you see. From my own experience, I've found this gives me more information about what's really going on---more than I get than when I have my vision checked by the doctor.

I wonder if you have some irregular astigmatism as a result of the Lasik. That can be very tiring and straining. Sounds like the dryness might get better, if you could just get your eyes working together in a balanced matter. A great part of "seeing" is what happens in your brain, and Lasik can really confuse that, since it changes everything. Add to that the physiological trauma to the tissues, and you end up with a situation where you've got the re-train the eyes and brain in addition to healing.

Calli

Let us know how you're doing with the new corrective lenses.

Comment

Have you considered punctal plugs? I have found that these were the most effective for me and really cut my use of eye drops. When they fell out I would develop localized headaches behind my eye. Incedentally, Restasis did work for me although it took about 4 mos., I noticed more tears, not alot but a slight improvement. Hope it levels out for you.

Comment

I'm having similar problems.

I feel like I'm having similar problems. I had lasik Dec. 12, 2008 and six weeks out my eyes have a stinging feeling. The pain is most annoying when I try to read or work on the computer but I also do have pain when I sleep (enough to that it is seriously limiting the amount of sleep I get each night). I do still have a slight astigmatism in the left eye, the right eye seems to be a lot more painful then the left. The right eye seems like it wants to stay wide open, while the left seems to be a little more relaxed. Not sure if the astigmatism could be responsible for my night pain, probably more related to the dry eye.

Anyways, I hope we both can find some answers and solutions, I will try and post any good news that I have.

Comment

Originally posted by elshrew View Post
            Looking for someone with similar symptoms and, of course, any solutions or suggestions. I used to have terrible pain wearing contacts which drove me to Lasik. The surgery was succesful, but now there are new problems. The symptoms are sore, irritated eyes and headaches localized behind the eye. These symptoms generally appear in one eye at a time. These complications are seriously compromising my life, e.g. unable to work, as many of you are sufferiung from as well as i can tell from posts on this forum.

Lasik can cause rapid fluctuations in your vision. Although 6 months after the surgery my vision had settled near 20/20, by 18 months power in one eye dropped and I acquired corrective lenses. My doctor hypothesized that the change in relative eye strength led to one eye working harder than another during detail work (looking at something at a fixed distance, book, TV, computer, etc) and then headaches.

Now it's been almost 3 years since the surgery and I recently got a second pair of corrective lenses. They helped for a while, but then I notice they same problems, fatigue soreness, headaches. Again, the symptoms are generally a result of detail work.

Now my doctor says my eyes are dry and I have just been prescribed Restasis. However, my symptoms nearly vanish if I can get through the day without looking at a book, TV screen, or computer (hard in my profession). So am not sure if it is even dry eyes, anyone with similar symptoms?

thank you
            WOW! My symptoms are extremely similar as far as tv, book, or computer. It is definately dry eyes as I thought it was something called CVS at first which is the straining of the eye, but it is the dry eyes (trust me). The one thing that is going to almost seemingly cure you while watching tv, computer, etc. is going to be goggles (either swimming goggles or glasses like wiley x). I would try and buy a pair of cheap swimming goggles with a good seal and try it out at home to see if it works.

Comment

hey thanks everyone for all the discussion. I have been dropping drops like a monsoon in my eyes - taking a preventative approach (because by the time they feel dry they already are dry). This has helped a bit along with various exercises and good screen practice (distance, orientation, contrast, breaks, etc.).

Calli - I believe my mild astigmatism is a regular astigmatism because I have the prescription for it in my glasses. According to wikipedia, an irregular astigmatism cannot be corrected for with standard lenses. However, it's reasonable to me to that an irregular astigmatism (caused by corneal scarring) could result from lasik. Any chance I may have been misdiagnosed?

Regardless, I have suggested the idea of plus-power glasses to my doctor who has agreed (seems like it should be the other way round?) I'll let you know how these work out!

Comment

Hi,

If your problems comes from string could it also be that you are not blinking enough, and therefor your eyes dry out. If so trying using googles of soem sort when you read. You can download a "blink" from this site that blinks every ten seconds, reminding you to blink.

Also get hold of some omega 3 oils and strt taking these for eye health. I think its safe to say that most people here take them.

Of course it could be a something else but I thought I woulkd add this as simple thing to try.

Good luck,

bernadette

Comment

for anyone considering similar strategies, I am sad to report that the plus power glasses did not solve my problem. My latest strategy is to used a patch over the sore eye, which lessens some of the pain and irritation.

Comment

Has your doctor ever tested you for convergence insufficiency? Sometimes when glasses are taken away and LASIK is performed, a patient can suffer this problem. Check it out:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/con...ciency/AN01656

There are exercises that can be done should you be diagnosed. Also, prism lenses can be prescribed. It was believed that I had CI post-LASIK, but my condition was extremely mild. Eye exercises are very effective for this.
                    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Thank you sherlock dianat! I asked my doctor to do a convergence insufficiency test and my convergence is actually pretty bad.

In addition to the site you suggested, here's another for anyone interested:
                      http://www.eye-exercises-for-good-vi...fficiency.html

My eyes are often so sore it seems odd to work them even more with exercises, but, I will try it over the next couple weeks. It feels good to have hope.

Comment

I have been trying the convergence insufficiency exercises and found that I have no trouble maintaining nonblurry binocular focus on objects at any distance (up to about 2in from my nose). I questioned another doctor who told me this is above average, that I don't have convergence insufficiency. However, this is a doctor who believes eye exercises (pencil pushups) are ineffective. Jeez. ok, well I am still looking for a solution.

I would like to see a doctor who can help me, however, I have put off making any appointments because I'm afraid I will only be throwing money away. My current doctor has run the standard tests and concludes that I am healthy. I have read elsewhere on this site that others have also had their symptoms undermined and ignored by doctors. I think it would be great if I had I chance to explain my history and symptoms to a doctor beforehand, and then if he or she had a confident strategy we could set up the visit. I suppose this is unpractical and unrealistic.

I see there are some recommendations available through the DEZ home page but can anyone recommend a doctor in southwest Virginia, New Jersey, or Northern Colorado?
                        Last edited by elshrew; 30-Mar-2009, 18:26.

Comment

Working...
                        X