Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dry eyes for 3 Years. Aqueous Diffiency.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry eyes for 3 Years. Aqueous Diffiency.

I've had dry eyes for 3 years. And for 3 years, I began slowly isolating myself. My family thinks I need to see a psychologist because I don't go out and because I'm buying things like a HEPA vacuum cleaners, trying to remove mold from my bathroom, buying dust mite covers and cleaning the vents. I I hate it and I just want normal eyes before I actually go to medical school. I hate wearing glasses and I can't wear contacts. Family doesn't care that I have dry eyes. To them my eyes are normal, but to me I look like I"m on drugs. Under certain light, they look sorta normal. In pictures they look almost normal. But in real life, they look horrible! People always ask me if I'm tired or have been up late studying. I've been to several doctors and they all give me the same solutions. None of which were effective. My current regime under this one doctor who claims to be a dry eye expert advised me to use lid scrubs, 3 capsules of fishoil, and hot compresses two times a day. My blood work shows that I'm allergic to, amoung other things, dust mites and indoor mold. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I hate being so blind and looking like I'm on drugs! One of my doctors said I have aqueous deficiency dry eyes. Artificial tears doesn't seem to help. One thing that did help for 1 month, was when I started to change my diet, added alot of fruits, and veggies, took vitamin b complex, took a multivitamin, started running for 16 minuites 3-4 times a week, and rising my eyes in water for the first two weeks each night. I started wearing contacts again and my eyes never went back to normal.

Hi azngi16!
    You're at the right place if you have dry eye!! I am a long time member and also live in Michigan. I have dry eyes because of Lasik surgery and Sjogrens Syndrome.

The routine you describe actually sounds like most of the information posted about the care of dry eyes. Dr. Latkany who posts on this board has a book on Dry Eye. It is full of straight talk and good information. You can also find most of the information on this board.

Just wondering since you're aqueous deficient in tears, have you been tested for Sjogrens Syndrome? Do you have any other symptoms ie. dry mouth, throat? Restasis, punctal plugs and artificial tears are the basic things we look to for help. Another thing is Tranquileyes for wearing at night. It's available here or at the "eeyeco.com" site.

Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by azngi16@hotmail.com View Post
      I've had dry eyes for 3 years. And for 3 years, I began slowly isolating myself. My family thinks I need to see a psychologist because I don't go out and because I'm buying things like a HEPA vacuum cleaners, trying to remove mold from my bathroom, buying dust mite covers and cleaning the vents. I I hate it and I just want normal eyes before I actually go to medical school. I hate wearing glasses and I can't wear contacts. Family doesn't care that I have dry eyes. To them my eyes are normal, but to me I look like I"m on drugs. Under certain light, they look sorta normal. In pictures they look almost normal. But in real life, they look horrible! People always ask me if I'm tired or have been up late studying. I've been to several doctors and they all give me the same solutions. None of which were effective. My current regime under this one doctor who claims to be a dry eye expert advised me to use lid scrubs, 3 capsules of fishoil, and hot compresses two times a day. My blood work shows that I'm allergic to, amoung other things, dust mites and indoor mold. I don't know what's wrong with me, but I hate being so blind and looking like I'm on drugs! One of my doctors said I have aqueous deficiency dry eyes. Artificial tears doesn't seem to help. One thing that did help for 1 month, was when I started to change my diet, added alot of fruits, and veggies, took vitamin b complex, took a multivitamin, started running for 16 minuites 3-4 times a week, and rising my eyes in water for the first two weeks each night. I started wearing contacts again and my eyes never went back to normal.
      If you've been suffering for three years and all the doc has you doing is scrubs, fish oil, and compresses - I'd say go get a second opinion.

I can relate to the idea of isolating yourself. I'm definitely less social than I one was. Anytime I have a "good" day, I run out and try to make up for lost weeks... which inevitably wears me out and puts me back down.

Good for you for still pursuing medical school. Become an ophthalmologist!

FYI - I'm a Michigan native myself. West side! Not sure where Redford is.

Comment

Dry eyes for three years

HI Lucy
        I have been suffering with my eyes for more years than I can remember.
        Originally diagnosed as Hay Fever. Prescibed Becanase for the nose, sodium crom for the eyes plus oral anti histamine. Years later and having stopped most of the medications I retuned to my GP who diagnosed DES. After two years on visco tears I was offered other drops like celluvisc and raptil , which left a very disgusting taste in my mouth. One year later I returned to my GP who reffered me to my local hosptal. The consultant there was very good and prescibed me yet again celluvisc for the day and lacrilube at night.
        Six months later I return to the Hospial for my check up and had temporary punctal plus inserted. This gave relief for one week, then back to normal, itchy, irritable, tired, sore, gritty, sensitive I go back next month for check up. Plus I must be the only person who has broken his leg through DES.
        My condition urges me to walk around with my eyes closed at times of greatest iritability and of course it would happen, I fell over my sons bicycle, which was lying on the ground, tripped, fell badly and broke my leg.
        I,ve tried the HEPA filter vacuum, anti dust mite covers etc.
        When you live in a house where your son and daughter sprays deoderant everywhere, your wife sprays gell into her her and uses a hot hairdryer to shape it, a cat and a dog, there just is no hope. You can complain until the cows come home but to no avail.
        I must admit there might be light at the end of the tunnel. Every now and again my eyes feel great for three to four days at a time. I dont know why this happens. Perhaps it is food thing . I re-trace my steps and see if i,ve done anything diiferent or the kids used a different deoderant. I,ve noticed my condition is worse if I eat very salty or sugary processed food, chocolate and alcahol .

Regards

Nigel c from the UK

Comment

I have celluvisc, but apart from some relief in the mornings, after I've unwelded my eyes, I don't think it does any good. I am OK during the day, apart from being unable to wear make up anymore, and a bit sore and watery, but definitely have a problem after about 7pm, when my eyes don't move about within their sockets properly, and the lids open and close very slowly. I can't bear the light, and during trying to get to sleep, they stick together, which is just horrible. Does anybody else only get symptoms in the evenings? I can so sympathise with just walking around with your eyes shut, because to be honest it's the only way I can tolerate it. I also just sleep for about an hour. I used to think I was getting the dry eye because I was tired, but it's the other way round. When I get particularly bad eyes, I just want to sleep, even if just for an hour, and it seems to relieve it a bit. What's this thing in the hoover?

Comment

Working...
          X