Help, Im new to site - speak to me!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help, Im new to site - speak to me!?

I'm so trying to talk to anybody about this. I am new to this site and am having great difficulty in navigating my way round, and nobody seems to want to talk to me. I have suffered from dry eye for 1.5 years, and nothing seems to help. I don't smoke, am 44, am not in the menopause, I take luteine and flaxseed oil capsules. After about 7pm, I cannot function properly, and my eyes don't even move properly, and open and close very slowly. The only thing I can do for relief is sleep, but as you can imagine it's not great for the social or family life. I cannot drive after this time, as I have blurred vision, and when I wake up in the morning,I have to physically open my eyes as they are welded shut! It would be just nice if somebody would tell me they suffer any of the above. I don't have a funny story to tell, as at the moment I don't find any of it very funny, in fact it's really getting me down. I have got the plugs in aswell, but they don't seem to make any difference. Please, somebody speak to me

Originally posted by SallyP View Post
    I'm so trying to talk to anybody about this. I am new to this site and am having great difficulty in navigating my way round, and nobody seems to want to talk to me. I have suffered from dry eye for 1.5 years, and nothing seems to help. I don't smoke, am 44, am not in the menopause, I take luteine and flaxseed oil capsules. After about 7pm, I cannot function properly, and my eyes don't even move properly, and open and close very slowly. The only thing I can do for relief is sleep, but as you can imagine it's not great for the social or family life. I cannot drive after this time, as I have blurred vision, and when I wake up in the morning,I have to physically open my eyes as they are welded shut! It would be just nice if somebody would tell me they suffer any of the above. I don't have a funny story to tell, as at the moment I don't find any of it very funny, in fact it's really getting me down. I have got the plugs in aswell, but they don't seem to make any difference. Please, somebody speak to me
    Hey Sally. I'll talk to you. Was there a cause of your dry eye? What doctors have you seen? Have you received a diagnosis? What's your daily regimen?

Comment

Thank you! The diagnosis is "dry eye", no idea what caused it, started with conjunctivitis, and the rest, as they say, is history! I have celluvisc drops, and punctum plugs in, but nothng seems to help

In the morning, I have to open my eyes with my fingers as they are welded together. I put a hot compress on them, which is quite comforting, then I put drops in. I have to put 4 lots of drops in during the day. Then.........at about 7pm, my eyes move very heavily and slowly, and I often get blurred vision. I often just have to sleep for about an hour, and they are then slightly better. That is my very boring hisory. I'm not sure where you're from, but it's 10pm here in the UK, and I'm struggling to see now, so am going to come off the computer now, but thank you so very much for your very kind reply. What is your story anyway?

Comment

Sally

Sorry to hear about your condition and the fact that you are feeling a little isolated at the moment.

Are you having specific problems navigating the site and if so, I can help you with that.

We are all volunteers around here and sometimes a post is overlooked inadvertently as we generally only respond to posts that we can relate to.

Unfortunately, I don't think I have the problems you are experiencing, sounds to me like you could benefit from some drops beside the bed that you put in of a morning before you open your eyes.

It you have any specific questions, fire away, let's see what the other forum member may be able to offer.

Regards

Ian

Comment

Thank you! The diagnosis is "dry eye", no idea what caused it, started with conjunctivitis, and the rest, as they say, is history! I have celluvisc drops, and punctum plugs in, but nothng seems to help

In the morning, I have to open my eyes with my fingers as they are welded together. I put a hot compress on them, which is quite comforting, then I put drops in. I have to put 4 lots of drops in during the day. Then.........at about 7pm, my eyes move very heavily and slowly, and I often get blurred vision. I often just have to sleep for about an hour, and they are then slightly better. That is my very boring hisory. I'm not sure where you're from, but it's 10pm here in the UK, and I'm struggling to see now, so am going to come off the computer now, but thank you so very much for your very kind reply. What is your story anyway?
          Sorry to hear about your struggles. I'm near Washington, DC. While I don't have the same condition as you (mine appears to be LASIK-induced dry eye, meibomian gland dysfunction), I can clearly relate.

Please, if you can navigate the NHS , go to the doctor often and do not rest until you are given a diagnosis and a treatment plan.

I'd also recommend nighttime ointment like Genteal Gel and moisture goggles like TranquilEyes since your dryness is so bad in the morning. These things helped me before I even had a diagnosis or went on any medication.

Cheers!

Comment

hi Sally,
            welcome to the site!
            How long have you been suffering so much?All the 1,5 years long or just in the recent times?
            Did you find a good eye doctor?

Comment

Thank you so much. I was chatting to you earlier I think regarding your good days and bad days, but am not that good at navigating my way around the site yet and not entirely sure what I'm doing, so bear with me. I have unfortunately been suffering for the last 18 months, and am just not sure what caused it, just happened after I'd had conjunctivitis. I have been seeing a consultant at hospital regularly, and have had every blood test available, but nothing wrong, and actually they've said there's nothing physically wrong with my eyes, which is good, and was told that my eyes look very healthy, and not typical of somebody with dry eye, but all the symptoms are that of dry eye, so not that helpful really! I did have an overactive thyroid and had most of it removed 5 years ago, but the consultant said that was unlikely to cause it, but I'm not convinced. Trying to deal with it but quite depressing really.

Comment

Im not convinced either sally P, if theres one thing that a certainty with dry eye- is that it can be caused by many things! even people saying they had a route canal and that fixed there dry eye!

Thyroid probs is definitely a cause i wouldnt rule out if i was you.
                I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Hi Sally,
                  I know some people use a humidifier in their livingroom/bedroom and also were wrap aroung sunglasses or goggles possibly for watching T.V. Not very attractive but if it makes you a bit more comfortable, it's worth it. I am a 55 year old female and just got dry eye for (as far as I know) no reason whatsoever. You could also use PRESERVATIVE FREE eye drops as often as you want throught the day and gel at night. There's loads to choose from. Opening your eyes slowly in the morning is common. Put in eye drops right away and if there is anyone around who can bring you a cup of tea in bed, then that's a bonus! Haha you're probably a housewife like me.
                  Best wishes

Comment

That so made me smile

Ah, that so made me laugh out loud, thank you so much - the thought of me with dark glasses on watching TV of an evening - and what my 14 year old daughter would have to say when her friends came over! Anything's worth a try.

I use preservative free drops already, but to be honest, apart from the morning, when it does just seem to ease that horrible feeling, I don't think they do that much. I would have all my teeth taken out actually if it made my eyes better, but then it probably wouldn't, and I'd have dark glasses and gums!! I know I appear to be making light of it, but I think i have to or I'd go mad. Mine started after a bout of reoccurring conjunctivitis, but I'm told that would be the effect of dry eye, but I was fine before. You look very glamorous, do you still manage to wear eye make up? Apart from special occasions, I don't really bother any more, as it seems to aggrevate the condition, and not practical with putting drops in.

Thank you again for making me smile today

Comment

Oh, and as for the cup of tea, two hopes!

Comment

Sally - You need to get yourself some glamorous shades!

I've had problems with my eyes for so long now that people are used to seeing me wear them. I have prescription lenses so they are practical as well as a neat cover up if I'm feeling very below par.

Eye make up is possible - providing you find the right product. My eyelashes used to be thick and black - but some of the lashes on the left eye now lack pigment and they grow in all angles. I try and retain order by heating an eyelash curler with a hairdryer and then perhaps applying a bit of mascara if I look too much like a blank page.

My mascara is by Jane Iredale. It's a bit pricey but it's OK for sensitive eyes.

Comment

Thank you, but I really don't think shades are an option, particularly at work!!! but will definitely be wearing outside in the summer, as the sun/heat definitely makes my eyes worse, as does central heating. My daughter moans if I'm going out in the evening, as we cannot have the heating on until I've gone out, which does seem to help a bit, but not great in winter.

I would be happy to try any eye make up that doesn't instantly make my eyes sore, however expensive, and will look that one up. Thank you again.

Comment

Sally

I wear my shades at work if I need to. My eyes are so bad that my employer has granted `minor adjustments' - under the DDA (Disability Discrimination Act) - so shades are definitely not an issue! (I work at a university and the students are brilliant - very understanding - and I can enjoy a bit of their banter if the subject of eyes come up).

Central heating is a `no-no' for me also - to the point that I even have to choose hotel accommodation with this in mind. And as for a car journey on a cold day...passengers have to endure a white knuckle ride.

Living in the North, our winters can be pretty grim. No gas fires though - we burn wood and wear lots of clothes. That way, my eyes have a chance of being comfortable, albeit relatively.

Comment

Work problems

I wondered where I stood at work actually. I work for the local council, and we are having brand new offices being built currently. We are in temporary offices at the moment, which are just for my department, and are quite small so I can pretty much adjust lighting, aircon, heating to suit me, as my immediate colleagues are sympathetic to a degree. The lights are in blocks, and I've taken the bulbs out of the ones effecting me, as I couldn't stand it, but when we move, it will be one long open plan office, and I don't see how they can cater for the needs of everybody, and I definitely can't tolerate air conditioning, very bright lights immediately above me or hot air (other than that coming out of my collegues mouths!!). I'm dreading it, as I don't think people understand the severity of how I feel of an evening, and how much these factors can effect me, and just think I'm being fussy!!

Comment

Working...
                              X