Red burning eyes? allergies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red burning eyes? allergies?

my eyes have been getting red for quite sometime. When i wake up, its worse> When i workout, its worse. When i am in an airplane it gets worse. They are starting to burn alot more now. I am using restasis for 2 months now with really no help. I have to use allergy red eye drops to get red out. Could that be making it burn worse? Some days are better. IF i get in my car after waking up, they get red inside? Could this be allergy related. I know allergy eyes are associated with itching, etc...but when i stay at different hotel, my eyes are SO MUCH redder every morning. Dust mite allergy. I did test positive for a bunch of allergies but didnt know at the time if that was cause becasue it was the time i was allergic to everything? Eye doc said that my eyes are dry as hell but nothing ever really helps. I am using refresh celluvis with restasis, could this cause my eyes to burn somemore???

I am also sensitive to face products, gels, etc...so possibly putting these on cause redness of the eyes. I am only 28/m and healthy so dry eyes are hard to believe. doctor said he didnt know why they were dry, just dry eyes? Going to doctor in louisville in a month to hopefully help me out with everything....Hate getting up with red eyes and putting drops in everday. Feeling the burn etc...

Also if i drink a few beers or in a bar, they get red as well? Thinking could be allergy related. All happened when i was staying in a dorm room and also was suffering from burning face at times which still happens alot?
    Just didnt know about allergies or reaction i might be having to something?

Hi Shane,

It's likely you have ocular rosacea. All of the instances you mention are classic triggers for it. Do a board search and also look below at the heading for OR.

Comment

DONT have ocular rosacea. Been to 4 different docs. None say i have it. Most say dry eyes but never give reason as to why i have dry eyes. But been to dermatologist as well about rosacea. say i dont have it! SO i guess i dont. Will see though.

Comment

Are you going to see the Dr.'s that many people on this site have gone to see?

bernadette

Comment

Dr. Foulks seems to be in your part of the world.

If possible it is a good idea to see a tried and tested Dr.

Bernadette

Comment

yeah i am going to see him. However, i think i am allergic to frangrances, perfumes, cosmetics, etc...hair gels, etc..I think this might be drying my eyes out and irritating them. I am not really sure but could this be possible/

Comment

Anti redness drops usually have rebound effects - the redness will be worse when you are not using them Plus, they generally cause dry eye. Stop using them.

The anti redness drops may also be working against the Restasis.

You may have allergies that irritate your eyes. There are prescription drops such as Patanol and Pataday, that help.

However - you may have an eye infection. Please see an opthalmologist or optometrist and get checked!

Comment

Same Problem

Shane,

I am also a 28 year old male and have had the exact same symptoms for the past three years. It has been very frustrating. I am going to be moving soon, so I will be looking for a new doctor and hopefully make some progress!

Comment

I have similiar symptoms and am very hypersensitive to fragrances, makeup, etc as you had mentioned. I have been to doctors, doctors, and more doctors, with no diagnosis except dry eye!

I hope Dr. Faulks is able to help you... based upon postings on this board, he should be able to get you manageable.

Comment

have you looked into allergist? Maybe shots would help. That is my next step. If this doesnt work, who knows what my problem is. I might be allergic to something in the air. Mine gets worse at airports, airplanes, etc...when fan is on andblowing. I sleep with a fan on so that might be my issue. Not giving my eyes a chance to get back to normal???Should i get humidifier?

Comment

Hi,

I've got the excact same symptoms. Red eyes, no infections, no bacterias, just red. I don't know if they are dry though, two eyedoctors visited, and none have tested me for it. (Can you feel it if they're dry?)

When it first started out I used some clear eyes once in a while (whilst drinking in particular). Obviously the alcohol is widening the blood veins, so this is a major problem for me. I should quit drinking I hear you say. Anyway the use of such drops caused some rebound effect after each time of use, but it usually cleared within 24 hours.

Nowadays, after a period of great distress my eyes are now almost constantly red, they itch and burn in the morning, so I have a hard time making it to work before 10. If I get less than 7 hours of sleep I have to work from home for obvious reasons.

No eyedrops have proven helpful to me, my eyes react in a bad way to any foreign element.

I've tried a lot. Omega3, tranquileyes, non preservative eyedrops. Nothing really helps. The visible blood vessels seems to be there for life.

Can you update us if allergy shots works for you? My next step is to test for allergies.

Br Øyvind

Comment

Working...
                      X