Left eye dry and uncomfortable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Left eye dry and uncomfortable

In general I'm a healthy 41 year old woman, but about a year ago I woke up with my left eye very, very red. I went to my primary care doctor, she said it was probably conjunctivitis, and gave me an antibiotic eyedrop. After a day or so of that it was better.

However, I think I would have been better off just letting it heal on it's own, because every since then, my left eye has been dry and uncomfortable. Sometimes it's better, sometimes it's worse, but right now, for instance, my left eye is just uncomfortable, I always feel like I need to blink, or keep that eye closed, especially when I'm reading or working on the computer.

My questions, if anyone would be so kind as to offer some opinions:

1. Is it possible that the antibiotic (whatever is commonly given for conjunctivitis) caused this dry eye? It sure seems likely, given the circumstances.

2. Given this type of dry eye, what are the best treatments?

3. How do you best find a good opthamologist? I'm in the Seattle area.

Thanks very much for your advice!

Hi and Welcome,

I don't know for sure that the drops caused your dry eye. There are so many resaons for dry eye, and so many people still at a loss to explain why they have dry eye. Having said that I think I remember someone posting that their DE was caused by an antibiotic drop.

Dry eye isn't a condition in itself, its a symptom of a condition. The two types of dry eye are either a lack of tears, or a poor quality tear being produced causing them to evaporate too quickly. The treatment is a little diferent for both. There are tests for both of these. The trick is to find a good Dr. A big problem with DE sufferers is to find a Dr. who will helo you along the way.

Look in the "plug a Dr." section for a Dr. if you don't get a response.

Good luck and keep well,

Bernadette
    Last edited by bernmee; 16-Apr-2009, 22:33. Reason: More info

Comment

Working...
    X