Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lasik dry eye

Hi
    My name is Ed. I had LASIK surgery in March 2007 at the age of 50. I had worn glasses all my life and felt that the procedure had advanced to the point where I felt safe doing it. I was now financally able and thought I would do it for my 50th birthday present. Several younger people at work had it done and were excited about the result. Well, i have struggled with my vision ever since. I think the correction was proper because there are moments when my vision is perfectly clear. My eyes have felt dry since the surgery. When i wake in the mornings I can hardly open my eyes. Drops do not seem to help and sometimes feel worse a short time later. My vision is so bad in the morning that I cannot focus. my vsion got somewhat better about a year after surgery but now has reverted back to where it was shortly after surgey. I need reading glasses for close up and was more than willing to accept this. About 3 weeks ago I got a twitch in my right eye that would not go away. Then it felt like I had something in my eye for a couple of days. then my eye started to weep alot and in the mornings was filled with white mucous. I noticed that my near vision was going away and my upper lid was swollen.. I went to the Doc and he said i had a sty and put me on antibiotic gel and warm compresses. the swelling went down in my upper lid and the twitch stopped. now when i wake in the morning I cannot focus near or far in that eye. after about 8 hrs my distance vision returns but never the near. Doc says I am getting older and am losing near vision , but it seems very sudden and too much of a coincidence to me. My eye also aches like a toothache. I have read some of the other posts and feel the same . I cannot believe that I did this to myself. I had perfect vision with my glasses and had never needed an eye drop in my life. Any suggestions ???

Hey, Ed.

I had lasik in 2007 as well, however dry eye didn't appear for a couple years. I think it's attributable to severals things, not just the surgery. Anyway, you can't blame yourself for the surgery. I'm a numbers guy and have determined that dry eye is almost all due to bad luck. Millions get lasik, however there are only 240 people on this site who blame lasik for dry eye.

That said, I've learned that dry eye is a puzzle w/ differing treatments having different effects on everyone. You simply need to find a doc you like who specializes in dry eye. Then, it's trial and error until you find a method of keeping the symptoms under control. It's very doable...just requires lots of patience.

Hang in there, Ed.

Dave

Comment

You need to find out what is causing your DE. Are you not making enough tears or are the tears lacking oils. The treaments are not the same.

Also, do you have a good Dr. A common complaint is that Lasik surgeons don't seem to be willing/able to treat their post op patients. Though having said that for many people finding a good Dr. can be a challenge. Is your Dr. testing your tears and telling you your results?

Its tough dealing with the feeling that you were misled, hence the reason why there is now so many groups trying to put pressure onthe FDA to tighten up the "consent" procedure. It's an industry rules by profit, not the patients interest. How were we to know this before the procedure. You are not alone in your feelings. In fact most post op Lasik patients feel very passionate about it. The best thing you can do is to take control of your treatment, and when you get better join one of these groups to get the word out.

Bernadette

Bernadette

Comment

Working...
      X