Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New member from NY

Hi everyone.
    I found this site yesterday when I was researching SmartPlugs and I am glad! I am in my mid 20s and suffer terrible dry eyes from Sjogrens. It has gotten drastically worse in the past few years and I suffer from inflammations quite frequently due to the dryness. I use a lid wash daily and use warm compresses at night.
    I am still debating on the SmartPlug, my ophtalmologist recommends the Medennium SmartPlug, but I've read mixed reviews and with my inflammation history I am not sure..
    Hopefully I will find some useful tips on how to deal with this condition here.

Hi

Hello and welcome. I sent you a PM but figured I would also reply to this thread. The board has a lot of helpful advice and I am sure others will be along quickly to welcome you as well. You may also want to check sjogrens world which is a helpful website as well.

K
    If life is a bowl of cherries, then why I am I stuck in the pits!

Comment

Welcome.

I used to be a fan of the SmartPlug (in fact I had some many years ago) but I'm not anymore, after reading study after study about complications and hearing from patients with permanently damaged lids. At this point I just have an 'attitude problem' about placing any durable materials in the canalicula. When they're good, they're very good, but when they're bad, look out because the complications can be very very serious.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I would not get SmartPlugs.. here is why...

Originally posted by jabusu View Post
        Hi everyone.
        I found this site yesterday when I was researching SmartPlugs and I am glad! I am in my mid 20s and suffer terrible dry eyes from Sjogrens. It has gotten drastically worse in the past few years and I suffer from inflammations quite frequently due to the dryness. I use a lid wash daily and use warm compresses at night.
        I am still debating on the SmartPlug, my ophtalmologist recommends the Medennium SmartPlug, but I've read mixed reviews and with my inflammation history I am not sure..
        Hopefully I will find some useful tips on how to deal with this condition here.
        My right one got infected last year.... the guy (Dr.) that put them in couldn't even figure out what was wrong. It took me three months to find a Doc that knew what they were doing and by that time it ruined my eyesight in that eye. My left plug got infected just four weeks ago. Now that I am rid of those onward to a new option, I just can't seem to find one
        So no I wouldn't get SmartPlugs if I were you.
        I wish I had never gotten them.
        Last edited by Missie; 28-May-2009, 11:34.

Comment

Working...
        X