Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lots of problems and lots of questions

Hello all, I'm Jennifer.

I've had a number of issues over the last couple of years, but the solutions are always temporary.

Aside from bacterial infections, I've had multiple problems caused by my dry eyes. About a year ago I couldn't figure out why my vision was so blurry, so I made an appointment and found out the blurriness was due to my eyes being so dry and was put on lotemax, told to wear glasses and put in artificial tears 6x a day, and that cleared it up. But only temporarily. Since then my vision has wavered depending on the level of dryness and have dealt almost constantly with scratchiness and redness. My doc did give me a prescrition for Restasis, but I lost the paper and never went back for a new one (dumb move on my part).

Most recently I was told I had a chronic allergic reaction (my right eye would get really red, light sensitive, scratchy, and hurt to the touch if I accidentally rubbed it). I'm currently on Falcon eyedrops for that 3x a day. At the same appointment I was told my eyes are very dry and I should wear my glasses and put in artificial tears at least once an hour every hour I'm awake, and swtich to a contact solution without a preservative.

My biggest problem right now is that, unlike most people, my vision is much better when I wear my contacts. I've been wearing my glasses for a week and my vision is so bad in them (despite that they are less than a year old and my prescription has not changed) that I'm afraid to drive and am having a lot of trouble doing my job. I wear Acuvue Oasys lenses at my doc's recommendation.

I'm wondering: How has Restasis worked for others? And is there a reason I see better in my contacts rather than my glasses? And is it possible for me to wear contacts without risking serious levels of dryness?

Hi, Jennifer. Welcome to DEZ!

I can't comment on your contacts-related questions as I have no experience with them (I have never been able to wear them). But I have been on Restasis for about 2 years, and it has really helped me. It can take a couple of months to start working, so, if you decide to try it, stick with it and give it a chance. I think it is definitely worth trying in your case.

It also sounds to me like you are getting good advice from your doctor. Using non-preserved eye drops and contacts solutions sounds like a great recommendation to me, and it also sounds like your switch to Oasys contacts was a good move, as they are possibly doing what they are advertised to do: holding more moisture on your eye.

It sounds like you do have dry eye, and the fact that other things have relieved your symptoms in the past should give you hope that you can get to a more comfortable place with this.

I'd encourage you to follow your doctor's advice and also become fanatical about keeping everything associated with your eyes as sterile as possible (given the bacterial infections you've had), e.g. don't touch/rub your eyes if you haven't washed your hands, don't "cheat" with your contacts and wear them longer than you're supposed to, etc.

I'm confident that you can find a routine that works for you. Then, the key is to stick with it, long-term!

Teri

Comment

I hope I can get to a good point, too.

I'm really hoping Restasis will work for me, because as it is I have constant vision problems, regardless of how often I put in eyedrops or wear glasses.

I go back this afternoon, so I'm hoping relief is on its way!

Comment

Working...
      X