Hello (:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello (:

I joined this site because I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with my eyes, and thought maybe this could give me guidance. I've struggled with my eyes for about a year. They started out just being red with no other symptoms. I brought it up to my eye doctor while getting a vision exam, and she said it looked like I had Blepharitis. She gave me some samples of Ocusoft to try. It didn't help at all. It seems that even if my eyelids are completely clean, they are still red. Not bloodshot, but definitely veinly and not pretty looking. Lately my eyes have also gotten a little itchy and sometimes burn, but those symptoms aren't very severe. My eyes are simply red, all the time. It's worst in the mornings, and gets a bit better during the day, then worse again at night when my eyes get tired. Sometimes, they will look good in the lighting at home, then when I get to the flourescent lighting at school, they look terrible. When I brought it up to my regular doctor recently, he said they looked a bit dry and gave me a brand of eye drops to buy. Again, nothing. I'm thinking I might have ocular rosacea, but I just don't know!

I've tried pretty much everything. Eyedrops, warm compresses, cold compresses, rice baggies. Nothing has really improved it.

I'm going to try and see an actual eye doctor soon, but I was just wondering what you guys think might be wrong.

Thanks.

Sounds like occular rosacea to me. That's what I have, especially when you mention the burning. This is how my symptoms began, very subtle like. I didn't know that meant dry eye. Also, my eyes watered terribly for the first few hours I was up then they would settle down. They were always red and puffy in the morning so I would use a drop of visine.

Sounds like you have caught everything very early - that's good. I would continue with the compresses to keep the oil glands producing. Without the oil, you get burning. The red veins could be from your eyes starving for moisture. At least, that's what my doctor said. Without a good oil supply, the tears don't stay on the eye long enough or spread even enough to do the job. They may also be running off the eye or evaporating off to quickly.

I think its a good idea to see an eye doctor soon as well, but be careful. In my quest to help my eyes, I was thrown drops that actually made things worse. Many with occular rosacea have allergies to the preservatives in the OTC drops and the drops that the doctors use for their exams. You could have allergies as well. There are many excellent posts here about allergies and dry eye. Many swear by the drops sold here in the dry eye shop, especially dwelle. I have not tried it yet as it has been out of stock. It will be available again soon.

Best wishes, and you have found a great place to start your search. I'm sure you will find answers to your questions here and support as well.

Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

thanks for the advice!

Comment

Finding a Dr. who is going to take your condtion seeriously and is going to work with you to find what works for you is the best thing you can do for yourself. So many Dr.s seem to think drops will make everying ok, for some this works, for many others it doesn't. have a look in the "plug a Dr' section for more info.

Watch your diet and your lifestyle, see if there is anything that triggers your eyes or your facial skin to fluch such as spicy food, alcohol etc. Also, make sure you start taking high doeses of Omega 3 oils, most people on this site take them for there eyes.

There are some great tips on this site, just keep looking and asking and i'm sure, given time, things will settle down for you.

Bernadette

Comment

Originally posted by xxsarahxx View Post
          I joined this site because I have absolutely no idea what is wrong with my eyes, and thought maybe this could give me guidance. I've struggled with my eyes for about a year. They started out just being red with no other symptoms. I brought it up to my eye doctor while getting a vision exam, and she said it looked like I had Blepharitis. She gave me some samples of Ocusoft to try. It didn't help at all. It seems that even if my eyelids are completely clean, they are still red. Not bloodshot, but definitely veinly and not pretty looking. Lately my eyes have also gotten a little itchy and sometimes burn, but those symptoms aren't very severe. My eyes are simply red, all the time. It's worst in the mornings, and gets a bit better during the day, then worse again at night when my eyes get tired. Sometimes, they will look good in the lighting at home, then when I get to the flourescent lighting at school, they look terrible. When I brought it up to my regular doctor recently, he said they looked a bit dry and gave me a brand of eye drops to buy. Again, nothing. I'm thinking I might have ocular rosacea, but I just don't know!

I've tried pretty much everything. Eyedrops, warm compresses, cold compresses, rice baggies. Nothing has really improved it.

I'm going to try and see an actual eye doctor soon, but I was just wondering what you guys think might be wrong.

Thanks.
          Hi,Your symptoms sound very similar to mine but I have been diagnosed with meibomitis.I started in November 2008 with just the red eyes and irritation.Now after 8 months of many different drops(which i severely reacted to and doxycline)I am way worse than when I started.I don't know about occular rosacea for you,but they say no for me.I wish you luck and hope you find a good doc!!

Comment

Working...
          X