My eye saga

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My eye saga

I've been having irritation, mostly localized in the outer margin of my right eye, for 21 years.

It started in college when I popped a contact lens in my right eye. I felt immediate irritation in the corner of my eye. I took the lens out, and didn't wear it again for a few weeks, but which time the discomfort vanished. But then I started wearing lenses again, the discomfort returned, and even though I haven't worn lenses for years, never went away.

To make a long story relatively short, since then the discomfort has been better and worse, but never went away entirely, except for a brief two-week period a few years ago.

I have been diagnosed with dry eye in both eyes (actually left eye worse), and I also have terrible eye allergies: if I don't change my pillow case to a fresh one, laundered in hot water every night, I wake up with awful discomfort in the right eye margin. I also must put a warm compress on my eye every night, and then clean my lids with a lid cleaner. If not, the discomfort is really bad when I wake up. My wife also tells me that my eyes don't completely shut at night. And I've had conjunctivitis, which apparently did some damage to the eyes. A doc at Johns Hopkins is convinced that I have subclinical thyroid disease.

So I have multiple symptoms. Right now, I'm using Visine Pure Tears as needed, Restasis 2-4 times a day, Pataday once a day, warm compresses/lid scrub, fish oil, and an anti-allergy pillow cover plus fresh pillow cases every night.

This all controls my symptoms enough that it's more of a constant irritant than something that truly interferes with my life, but it would be very nice to get rid of the constant irritant.

One thing I haven't tried is taping my right eye shut every night, I tend to get up 2-4 times at night, so I'm reluctant. I also rarely use nighttime lubricant gels, these seem to irritate my eye sometimes.

Any tips would be appreciated. Oh, and I live in the D.C. area, any local resources?

Hi Daniel,

Welcome to DEZ! I am sorry to hear about your DE troubles.

You mentioned wanting to tape your lids at night, but haven't due to the inconvenience. Have you thought about trying Tranquileyes? They help to keep your eyes closed as well as keep the environment around your eyes nice and humid. It is more inconvenient in terms of having to clean the pads and stuff, but I wake up several times a night and I find it no trouble to put them on and take them off.

You can find more info at the Dry Eye Shop here.

Good luck!

Comment

Tranquil Eyes

I actually own it, but only used it once. I'm concerned that even if it helps the dry eye, given my allergies to dust et al it will actually make things worse. Given that I have to use a sterile pillow case every night, wouldn't the tranquil eyes pads be the equivalent of putting non-sterilized pillow case directly on my eyes?

Comment

Originally posted by danielbeez View Post
        I actually own it, but only used it once. I'm concerned that even if it helps the dry eye, given my allergies to dust et al it will actually make things worse. Given that I have to use a sterile pillow case every night, wouldn't the tranquil eyes pads be the equivalent of putting non-sterilized pillow case directly on my eyes?
        You're probably right if you're eyes are that sensitive to your pillows. Try Glad "Press and Seal" either on your eyes first or over the goggles. I would imagine that would keep the allergens away somewhat. You could put a new piece on everyday anyways.

Daren

Comment

Working...
        X