Strict regular dry eye care AND eventual dry eye improvement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Strict regular dry eye care AND eventual dry eye improvement

Do any of you have experience or knowledge and opinions in this subject?

I seem to have seen postings on here about dry eye sufferers (post Lasik dry eye sufferers) who after a few years on treatment/dry eye maintenance regimens, of various types, who have eventually made major gains, for example.. in the form of dry eye test readings/number readings, schirner's, etc..and also overall anecdotally "recovering" for the most part?
    Does this make sense?
    Have any of you heard some of these stories as well? (I cannot remember exactly where I have seen all evidence of this, but I am trying to learn more about this syndrome).

My question is: If properly and vigorously treated on a regular basis, can these irritated, inflamed, and malfunctioning tear producing glands in our eyes eventually, after being properly hydrated and protected overtime, nurtured and taken care of, does it make sense that these can and do everntually start FUNCTIONING better?
    Is this the idea?
    Other than just treating the overall symptoms?

I have been lazy about eye prtection and barely ever wear a mask now, and I also forget to take my omega-3's most of the time! My eyes bother me about half of the time now, and it sucks.

Also, I am thinking about giving up on this Restasis-lotemax thing again, since it seems my eyes are worse since being on Restasis, albeit I've only given it two-three weeks, but it just seems like my eyes are always irritated now since being on restasis. So I don't know.
    ALSO, I DON'T KNOW IF ANYONE ELSE HAS READ ABOUT RESTASIS IN WIKEPEDIA BUT IT STATES THAT UNDER CLINICAL TRIALS ONLY ABOUT 15% OF USERS EXPERIENCE IMPROVEMENT WITH RESTASIS. WHAT A SHAM I THINK NOW!

So I may just need to go back to STRICT dry eye care and see if I cant find resolve once and for all with some disciplined regimen of sorts, with hopefully an eventual recovery and a normal life.

Thank you for reading my post, and for any and all comments. I respect and value all of you and your stories, and you all add a great deal to this site and forum. Thank you all. ~ Benjamin

I sure hope so......I go in waves of feeling so very down and depressed about my stupid decision to have lasik. I just pray and hope that yes -- things will get better.

I went to a natropathic student clinic last year, and the woman treating me said that her dad had lasik, at the same place, same doctor, and it took him 2 years to "recover" from the dry eyes. So I take hope in that! And from some of the stories here. It's a miserable way to live, that's for sure - and I paid for it!!! It's such a hard thing to reconcile.....

So yes, let's hope for now!

Comment

I am thinking about trying the same startegy with otc drops, soaks and lid cleansing as I am not thrilled with what I read about restasis. I am going to seek some advice in this direction and think it starts with a doctor providing a comlete diagnosis and explanation

Comment

Do a search on my posts. Yes, all of my dry eye issues are not completely resolved, but I feel I cope very well with the condition. The BIGGEST part of this in my opinion is letting go of the negative feelings associated with the fact we did this to ourselves. BELIEVE ME I know it takes time and is a process that we have to go through to grieve the choice we made and the loss it has incurred.

But this is so negative and the emotional wrenching we do to ourselves brings on guilt, depression, anxiety, all the bad emotions that keep us from coping and moving on with what we have now. It takes time but try positive talk to help you overcome those feelings. Tell yourself it's not your fault (it's not!) you trusted someone who was an authority on this surgery who told you all would be well. Statistics said all would be in your favor. Like me you probably only ever heard about the postitive, miraculous outcomes from this surgery. You had no way of knowing. You rolled the dice and took the chance and came out on the losing end. That sucks but you must not blame yourself and move on to the coping stage.

Yes, things can/do improve with time especially for the lasik patients. Healing and time are on our side. Will you ever be as you were pre-surgery? Maybe, who knows. In the meantime learn to implement all you can from this site to improve your day to day life. That is what I have done and although not perfect I am certainly the better for it.

Here is what I do to help me cope and have a good life:
        1. Goggles, in the car when air is on, at home on the computer or while reading. Sure I look silly but this helps me continue on with my life and I choose to do it. I have several pairs, expensive and cheap, and keep them all over the place.

2. Sleep with Genteal gel at night and re-lube as necessary if I wake up.

3. Hot compresses with Rebecca's rice baggie in the dry eye shop. 2x a day and more if I'm having a bad eye day.

4. 2 x day genteal moderate dry eye drop if I need them.

5. Punctal Plugs

6. Regular plano glasses at my office if the air is on and my eyes are irritated. Really helps better than nothing. I also wear them at the mall and big stores too.

Do I wish I never did this? Heck yeah!!! Will I let it control and ruin my life?? Heck no!!

I too have my sad moments but those come much less often now. Just research and inform yourself and find a good doctor you feel is looking out for your best interest and not just trying to brush you off.

Good Luck!
        LL

Comment

don't give up on the Restasis just yet

One more bit of advice - I felt really awful when I first started Restasis and in fact, got worse after the first 3 weeks. Not only did it make my eyes sting intensely immediately after putting the drops in, but my Sjogren's got a lot worse as well. But after 3 months, the stinging has lessened considerably and I think the drops have helped the overall health of my eyes. Other friends in my local Sjogren's support groups say that their opthamologist's say even if you don't notice a huge difference, the restasis is still protecting your eyes. It can take 6 months before you have optimum results from the Restasis I would advise you to hang in there and see if you can get anything out of it. I believe you have the rates of success backwards by the way. According to my Restasis literature (that comes with the packages), it's a much higher rate of success.
          Just my 2 cents worth, hope you find some relief soon!
          Erika

Comment

My doctor also implied that the results were higher as well. I have been on for just over three months, and I feel it is finally working. I do have more tears. It also helps with the inflammation and redness for me. I am very pleased with it. I used to have terrible burning or menthol sensation to my eyes, and this has stopped. I believe the restasis first restored my tear film and then started making more tears. It definitely took a while. I would give it a good three to six months.

I still wear my goggles a good portion of the day. I never go outside without them, but I now wear them less and less indoors.

I still have little to no oil, but I am far more comfortable then I was 3 months ago.

I do one warm compress in the morning, run the hot shower over my eyes at night, and then go to bed with a cold fitted eye mask at night after I put the restasis in. I do not do much of that massage stuff as I have never seen any oil, and I do not want to add to my inflammation.

Melissa
            pianolady

Comment

Working...
            X