nervous newbie!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nervous newbie!

Hi. I was diagnosed with dry eyes about a month ago. But I believe this has been brewing for quite some time. I am 24. Two years ago, I had a corneal abrasion. I was sick with a virus and fell asleep with my contacts in for 2 hrs. Woke up, pulled out my contacts, and in my left eye--abrasion! Periodically since then, I have had times at night where I wake up with pain in one of my eyes (left or right), have to flush it out with solution and put some bacitracin ointment (that I had leftover from when I got a sty during college).

These occurences at night had been becoming more frequent in the last six months or so. Then, two months ago, I had my breaking point. I opened a new liquid eyeliner, and when I put it on my eyelids, immediately had an irritating reaction. Washed it off, and waited about half an hour before putting my contacts in. That was the last day my eyes have seen contacts in two months.

The next day, I had pain in my left eye, and being outside in any kind of wind was horrendous. I went to Ophthamologist #1, who diagnosed me with dry eyes and gave me over-the-counter drops to put in 4 times/day and some ointment for at night. Two days later, I was still in pain, so I went to Opthamologist #2. He said I had an infection and gave me Tobradex drops. A few days later, at the hinting of a friend, I saw an optometrist, and she told me I had dry eyes. She wanted to put me on Restasis, minocycline, prescription fish oil, and artificial tears. But I got scared because the pharmacy told me she could not prescribe the fish oil and minocycline, and the "optometrist" title had me concerned. So I stuck with the Tobradex. Noticed my eyes seemed less irritated, but the day after I returned to Opthamologist #2, who gave me a clean bill of health and told me to go back to contacts, I started having problems. My eyelids were stuck together and awful in the morning. Enter Opthamogists #3 and #4: one told me my contacts (that I hadn't worn for 3 weeks) could be sucking the moisture out of my eyes, the other told me I had GPC (giant papillary conjunctivitis), which was causing dry eyes, and wanted to put me back on Tobradex!

Finally, I saw #5, who told me I have dry eyes, not GPC. He gave me a prescription for Restasis, FML drops (for 4 weeks, which I am now finished with), ointment at night, and artificial tears. I have noticed some improvement. My eyes are still very dry in the morning, but I can open them, and then put drops in them immediately. I have also been using the fish oil for the last four weeks. I have suffered with acne since I was 10 years old, and he seems to think this is playing into my dry eyes...

Any advice for me? I am getting married in two weeks, and I just want some healthy eyes for my wedding! I wonder if my stress is affecting my eyes. Any advice or comforting words would be so greatly appreciated. I am so glad I found this forum.

Hi Andrea,
    You certainly have had a rough time and gone through a bunch of docs, which isn't at all unusual. Usual kind of stuff for us.

I want to leave my comment about optometrists probably being best at treating dry eye. This is not absolute, of course. Many ophthalmologists are too busy doing lasik surgery, other high tech procedures which bring in big cash bucks to spend more than a few minutes on dry eye patients. If you can find any doc you're comfortable with (MD or OD) and they will work with you, and listen to you, you are liable to make progress. It might be slow, but that's how this dry eye stuff works. Others will come along with good info for you. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Originally posted by andreapandrea3 View Post
      I have noticed some improvement. My eyes are still very dry in the morning, but I can open them, and then put drops in them immediately.... I have suffered with acne since I was 10 years old, and he seems to think this is playing into my dry eyes...

Any advice for me? I am getting married in two weeks, and I just want some healthy eyes for my wedding! I wonder if my stress is affecting my eyes. Any advice or comforting words would be so greatly appreciated. I am so glad I found this forum.
      Couple of quick thoughts

1) Ask your doctor about rosacea and meibomian gland dysfunction (also read up on them in the dry eye encyclopedia and the forum)

2) BABY YOUR EYES at night - get some physical protection on them, and if the ointment does not seem to cut it, try alternatives like gel.

3) BABY YOUR EYES day and night before your wedding... I'd keep as much protection around them as possible... wrap sunglasses during the day, good mask or goggle etc at night... warm compresses... no drops that seem to irritate, etc.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Definitely wear goggles.

If you wear these as often as possible for the next two weeks, I bet you will see a big difference.

They have been a life saver for me.

Best wishes,
        Melissa
        pianolady

Comment

Hi, Andrea.

In addition to the good advice you are getting from others, you may want to consider asking your doctor to see if you are having recurrent corneal erosions. The cornea sticking to the eyelid is the clue that made me consider that possibility. If that is the case, then it will take at least eight weeks to heal, according to all of the ophthalmologists who have worked with me to correct my problem.

--Liz

Comment

Thank you

Thank you all so much for your insight! I have an appt with an optometrist (I think you are right, Lucy, it's more about finding someone who will care and try to help you than someone with the MD at the end of their name) who was very sympathetic and determined that we could make this better the last time I saw her.
            I am definitely thinking MGD and/or blepharitis is playing into this. My eyelids were very red and irritated, although they slowly seem to be improving. Also, my lower lashes on my left eye seem to mat together. And I notice all of my lashes are greasy with white flecks on the ends of them throughout the day.

Does anyone have a gel that they prefer to use at night? That ointment is just soooo awful.

Comment

I'm glad that you are getting some answers!

I like Genteal Gel at night.

--Liz

Comment

Genteal gel...lots of people on this site use it.

Don't forget to take your Omega 3 oils and try to watch what you eat in terms of junk food and alcohol, esp. coming up to your wedding.

Good luck with that and welcome to the site.

B.

Comment

Some Answers!

Well, I have seen two optometrists. Both have been very helpful and have told me that I have posterior blepharitis and MGD. I think this fits (which helps to ease my stress/anxiety). I am continuing minocycline (100mg), doing warm compresses & lid scrubs, taking restasis, and as always--taking that fish/flaxseed oil.

Up until two months ago, I was wearing not only plenty of eye makeup, but also contacts 15-16hrs/day. I think the day I put on the horribly awful eyeliner, and the subsequent lack-of-treatment that I received really started a full-on inflamatory situation here. I am wondering if this will improve to the point where I will be able to a) wear contacts at least some of the time, b) wear eye makeup or c) do both, but a lot less, and maintain those warm compresses.

Does anyone have any experience with this improving to such a degree? I know this is a chronic condition, but I am hoping that I will be able to get it under control and able to feel normal again. I would love to hear from anyone who has had success with treating this.

Comment

Working...
                  X