Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greetings from San Diego

Hi All,

I was so happy to find this board. I had lasik (May 2009) and wasn't prepared or told about the horrendous dry eye issues that would follow. I had SEVERE dry eye after the surgery, but now I'd say I'm more at the 'dry eye' stage.

Although my vision is crystal clear with little to no halos, starbusrts etc., I'm a little surprised that this type of service is offered when so many people experience this dreaded dry eye. When I researched lasik, I never came across dry eye issues, but I wanted to be free of glasses so badly, that I suppose I didn't look very far.

Friends and colleagues that have had lasik never told me about the post dry eye issues. They loved lasik and would never go back to glasses. I never asked the doctor about it .. and was also never informed.

I am doing ok. Work is a struggle as it's an enclosed, air-conditioned building where I can't control the temp. I have a humidifier going at my cubicle all day .. seem to help a little.

At home I'm fairly good as I can control the house temp, but also have a humidifier and I turn that one if I'm my eyes feel uncomfortable.

As far as wind goes, a light breeze is fine, but a windy day will kill me. I highly recommend 7-Eye (by Panoptx) sun glasses. I have the churada model and I like the rubber eye insert vs. the velvet one. Only problem is that when the eye cup is in, it limits your peripheral vision.

Anyway, enough rambling ... looking forward to sharing tips, tricks on how to recover or just deal with - ugh - dry eyes.

Monica.

PS: I would never, ever recommend lasik to anyone.

Hi Monica,

Good old Lasik. It's still around, isn't it? Too bad. My eyes were ruined almost 10 years ago from Lasik. Some of us old timers have been around this board and other boards hollering about the problems with Lasik and other refractive surgeries. Hopefully, some have seen the warnings, others not.

You are very new at this lasik stuff and time is on your side. You already have the goggles and that is the first big step. Some people who have painful eyes afterward are feeling much better at 6 months and probably most at one year. Some really high myopes and those with additional problems take longer.

You can find out so much good info on this board! Keep up the good work on "babying your eyes" and you should be feeling better soon. Don't forget to see your doc when you feel the need. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The lasik doctors just wants the money. They tell you, you will not go blind and it is safe... (what about dry eyes?)

My doctor told me most patient do not have dry eyes after a week. Yeasterday when i looked at the clinics website where i had my surgery, they now write that most people have dry eyes for 3 mounths but some could have dry eyes for a year. The doctor also said to a journalist that some people have dry eyes for 2 years. Ok???

I think that you will feel a lot better in August. My eyes was a lot better after 3 mounths maybe not like before but a lot better.

Comment

Working...
      X