Hello from Arkansas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello from Arkansas

This is not my first post but my third. Anywho -- I've had blocked MGD for over 2 months now. One weekend my eyes, in particularly my right eye, started twitching like crazy. Then they started watering off and on during the day. I don't have that crusty matted stuff on my eyes like I've read alot of people have. I do have rosacea and have had for about 5 years. I'm 54. My eye dr. (who I'm not crazy about) said I have blocked mg's. Everything I've learned about it I've learned from this site and the internet. When I had my dermatology appt. (a new one due to a move) I asked if I could have ocular rosacea and that is what is causing my eye to water, he said yes. So i started taking Oracea. I must have a very mild case b/c I can hardly see any blocked glands. I've been eating red grapes for about a week and taking fish oil pills for over a month. I have noticed a big difference for the better.

I can't really see my blocked glands either, but the doc says I have them.

A while back I saw an illustration online that showed a normal lid margin/glands, a lid with blocked glands, and then "completely _______" (I don't remember what word they used, but you could no longer see the glands, like it was all grown together or something). I wish I saved that image, because maybe if I looked at it again, now that I have a 15x magnifying mirror, I could compare mine.

I usually don't get crusty stuff on mine, but they water for much of the day. I only get the crustiness on days when they are very irritated and I probably rub them too much at that point.

I have not been diagnosed with rosacea, but I am fair skinned and do flush easily, so I could have a mild case. After I take AzaSite and FML for a month, the doc is going to determine what is next. I planned to ask him about Oracea because regular doxy makes me nauseous and I hate having to schedule my meals with dairy around it. I hear Oracea is much easier to take.

I am glad you are doing better!

Comment

I have not been diagnosed with rosacea, but I am fair skinned and do flush easily, so I could have a mild case
      Me too but my derm discounted rosacea mostly based on that, she just said it came with the fair skin.

just keep swimming...

Comment

Hi Lisa, I remember reading your post where you mentioned the 15x mirror. I would love to see pictures of no mgd/mild/severe -- just to compare.

On the Oracea, you have to take it one hour before or 2 hours after meals. The difference between Oracea and regular doxy is that Oracea does not kill bacteria -- it only works on inflammation.

Comment

Originally posted by catlover View Post
          Hi Lisa, I remember reading your post where you mentioned the 15x mirror. I would love to see pictures of no mgd/mild/severe -- just to compare.

On the Oracea, you have to take it one hour before or 2 hours after meals. The difference between Oracea and regular doxy is that Oracea does not kill bacteria -- it only works on inflammation.
          My understanding about Oracea was that it s time-release, so taking it on an empty stomach is not as big a problem... for instance this post from a Rosacea forum:

IMHO, Oracea 1xday is easier to manage than Doxy 100mg 2xday. The much higher strength with the Doxy makes me nauseous/vomiting, which means I'm irregular taking it in the morning, MUST take with some food (which cuts the effectiveness) and then having to stay up later at night to take the second dose. Oracea never fazed me one bit on that score.
          The quote is from this thread, but I have seen the same sentiment in other places, and that has been my complaint about doxy, so that is why I was interested in trying Oracea.

http://rosaceagroup.org/The_Rosacea_...ad.php?t=18425

Comment

Thanks Lisa for that info. I have not had any bad side effects from the Oracea so I'm glad about that. I ordered the dry eye book today from this site.

Comment

Oracea is better tolerated than 100mg Doxy because it is only 40mg. If you have stomach issues with Doxy, ask your doctor about Doryx. It is formulated to dissolve in the intestinal tract, not the stomach.

HTH,
              Gretchen

Comment

Working...
              X