Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can't use drops & worried about eye surgery

Hi,

I have dry eyes (aqueous & lipid deficiency with MGD), glaucoma and cataracts. Very high myope too. Also chronic pain associated with MS. Quite ridiculous really. I've tried 23 different types of artificial tears - all caused blepharitis or allergic flare-up. Currently relying on hot compresses and lid hygiene routine. Not too bad right now, but absolute hell in the winter. Last year I had laser procedure for glaucoma - eyes have been drier ever since.

Tomorrow I see neuro-opthalmologist for opinion on whether my optic nerve damage is related to MS or glaucoma (or both). My primary opthalolmologist is talking about simultaneous surgery for cataracts and glaucoma. I'm very skeptical. Have just started reading the literature, searching for answers. The options look pretty bleak. Any advice or suggestions? I'm in Kingston, Ontario, but would be willing to go to US for second opinion.

D

Originally posted by adbal4 View Post
    I have dry eyes (aqueous & lipid deficiency with MGD)... Currently relying on hot compresses and lid hygiene routine. Not too bad right now, but absolute hell in the winter.
    Hi & welcome!

Lots of potential options for you - hope you are able to get some time to read on the main site dryeyezone.com and the threads here. With dry eye, I can't emphasize enough how important it is to get away from the idea that drops are the be-all and end-all of treatment... They are usually an important part, but they are often only the beginning.

My first thought for you is moisture chambers. How is your vision - do you wear glasses? If so what Rx. That will pretty much define your options for daytime eyewear. If you are dry at night, night barrier protection is vital as well.

I'd sure be all for another opinion on surgery. Sounds like minimizing the number of invasive surgeries would be a good thing though. Also, maxing out dry eye treatment in the period leading up to it will be helpful.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Comment

drops and surgery continued

Yes, I've been reading various items on this site for a while - very interesting. Unfortunately, my prescription is extreme (-17; -18.5). I am using overnight eye protection (purchased from your site some time ago).

I'm not sure yet whether my opthalmologists are going to recommend a single surgery or try to do glaucoma first, then cataracts. There are complications with any of the options. I have 3 opthalmologists who will be sitting down for consult before recommending specific procedure to me. This seems to be one of those no win situations - refuse surgery and lose sight in at least one eye or accept surgery and risk exacerbating dry eye.

Comment

Working...
      X