Rosacea and MGD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rosacea and MGD

I am a new member from Santa Clarita, CA and just came from an Optometrist who diagnosed MGD as a chronic condition related to some mild Rosacea on my right check and nose. I have used Clobetasol Propionate cream for several years to prevent Rosacea from spreading, however it is toxic, hence I would prefer a homeopathic remedy that would remove the Rosacea permanently. Any suggestions?

Secondly, I take allergy shots for pollen control and avoid antibiotics if possible. I am not on any other medications, but use organic carrot juice daily along with a variety of vitamins etc. Despite all that I seem to have a mild case of dry eye (despite MGD diagnosis) and seek the best treatment (microwaved rice in nylon stockings compress?). Any suggestions?

Thank you for your time!

Hi John -

Rosacea and ocular rosacea are chronic conditions that you will need to manage long-term in order to get relief from your symptoms. Unfortunately, there is no "getting rid" of it.

As for the Clobetasol Propionate, I would proceed with the utmost caution. It is a steroid cream, usually prescribed for dermatoses like eczema and psoriasis. Steroids are expressly contraindicated for rosacea as it can exacerbate symptoms. Facial rosacea is generally treated with a topical like metrogel or Finacea and a low dose sub-antimicrobial antibiotic like Oracea. I would get a second dermatological opinion on your current rosacea treatment regimen.

As for the MGD, do some research on this board. If you want to start out simple, start with lid scrubs, warm compresses and Omega 3 supplementation. Further therapies are oral doxy (Oracea) or minocycline, Restasis, and azasite.

Good luck.
    Gretchen

Comment

Working...
    X