Another post lasik

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another post lasik

Hi, my name is Brad and I live in So Cal. I had lasik done in January so I am just past the 6 month mark and I have been struggling with moderate to severe dry eye as well as PVD in both eyes leaving me with a great deal of floaters. I have been reading some threads here over the past few months and have been encouraged by some of you and how you are coping with this. I was not going to join as I thought I would "get better" and put all this behind me but at 6 months and a horrible Dr. visit yesterday, I thought I would join in and share my experiences and perhaps get some good advice. I was told by the lasik surgeon that after this much time, there is not much chance it would improve! Of course I don't believe that and I do go to other Dr's. that are more encouraging but none the less, I still have very bad dry eyes. I am a 51 year old male and otherwise in good health, I am on a strict regiment with Restasis, plugs (x2) and many supplements, I go to acupuncture once a week, wear 7eye glasses, use a humidifier at night. I still don't make enough tears to participate in life any more. It is nice to know people are out there that can understand how I feel. Thanks for letting me be part of the discussion!

Jim,

If you are using OTC drops often in addition to the restasis, consider using lacriserts. They are little pellets that create tears for 12 hours.

Your doctor should give you a sample.

They have helped me take the focus off of my eyes so I can "participate" in life again.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

Hi, thanks you for the reply. I have tried Lacriset but had a problem with the "foreign object" feeling at first but after it dissolved, I found that I felt drier and had to put in my "go to " drops anyway which by the way is Refresh Plus. I am going in to the Dr. on Thursday and I am going for the upper plugs as well. I'll try anything.

Comment

Hi Jimi -

Welcome. While I am not a post Lasik victim (I'm ocular rosacea/MGD) I hope that you find inspiration in the many folks on here who have made progress at the 1, 2 even 5 year out mark. 6 months is still early and there is yet a lot of healing that you can do.

Regards,
        Gretchen

Comment

Hi!
          This is exactly why I joined. I need to hear some encouraging words and I can't tell you how much it means to me. I don't need to tell you all the details of the pain and such, you already know, but some days like today are tougher than other. Thanks

Comment

Hi Brad, I saw your post and had to reply because I know how much it meant to me when I was going through bad times. I pretty much have never posted, but read other peoples posts and it definitely got me over the hump and gave me hope. I had lasik 31/2 years ago and I had a really rough time. I had corneal erosions and dry eyes. I couldn't believe that I did that to myself. But, there is hope that you will improve after 6 months for sure. I know that every case is different, but I improved for at least 18 months if not a little longer. I take Bio-Tears which I order online and I know that it has helped me. I am 55 years old, and I to have floaters. I was told that they weren't due to lasik, but who knows. Anyway, I am quite comfortable now and only use drops three times a day. Keep your head up, and keep coming this site. I was so encouraged by these brave people, that I know it helped my sanity while I got better. Take care. Goba

Comment

Hi jimi-
              You came to the right place. It's amazing how many post-lasik patients we have on here. I'm almost 10 years post-Lasik and I hate to see people still coming along with the same problems. At least you newcomers have some history with which to compare your episodes! Even though we are all different, there is someone on here to match everyone.

You're already doing all the best things. Most post-Lasiks have some improvement at 6 months and many feel quite well at one year. There are some people who take longer to "get the burn out."

P.S. I tried Lacriserts twice and they never worked for me. I am surprised just recently some people on here are being helped by Lacriserts. This is good as years ago you never heard anyone say they helped. Lucy
              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Hi folks, thanks for the encouraging replys! Goba, I am so glad to hear that we are not left with this for life as my lasik surgeon just told me the other day. I am going for additional plugs tommorow, (different Dr. of course) has anyone found any relief with plugs as I have lower ones now (three month ones) which I have had inserted on several occasions throughout this ordeal, and found that I have had only minimal relief, does having the uppers plug make much of a difference? Also, are the "permanant" plugs better than the temporary? Thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by jimi51 View Post
                  Hi folks, thanks for the encouraging replys! Goba, I am so glad to hear that we are not left with this for life as my lasik surgeon just told me the other day. I am going for additional plugs tommorow, (different Dr. of course) has anyone found any relief with plugs as I have lower ones now (three month ones) which I have had inserted on several occasions throughout this ordeal, and found that I have had only minimal relief, does having the uppers plug make much of a difference? Also, are the "permanant" plugs better than the temporary? Thanks again.
                  I did not find a huge difference in my eyes with just lowers plugged as it sounds like you currently have. When I had my uppers plugged, there was a tremendous difference! It will be interesting to hear what you think a few days after tomorrow. I have heard/read that some temp plugs don't have the full occlusion that permanent ones do but can't say for sure.

Daren

Comment

I will let you know what happens, I hope I have the same results. I have had the three month ones (this pair for 1.5 months now) in because the Dr. I see now said that she thought I might start "making tears" again and then it would be the other problem of tears in my face. (would love that!) But since it has been over 6 months now, maybe she will offer that, will see. Thanks again!

Comment

Hi there,

I'm also located in So. Cal (San Diego) and had lasik at the end of May '09. Yup, dry eyes! I'm getting better, but it's a s l o w process.

I have a dr's appt at the end of Sept and we'll see what he has to say.

Monica.

Comment

I am glad to hear you are getting better, especailly after only a few months. I just saw a second opinion guy for the second time and he thought I still might get better but can't explain why all his patients never have it beyond 3-6 months! He said to his intern that "he is in a subset that goes beyond 6 months." I hoping for somehting to happen since I never even heard of dry eye and eye floaters before this darn surgery. Good luck to you!

Comment

Working...
                        X