Dry Eye Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Eye Question

Hi. Thanks for the very useful website. This is my first posting.
    I had IntraLase custom-guided wavefront LASIK on March 31, 2009, so I am about four months postop.
    Since then I have had intermittent dry eye symptoms including stinging especially in the inside corner near the nose, a kind of subtle prickly feeling on the surface of my eye, and a subtle foreign body sensation. The symptoms are more pronounced on my left eye. In fact my right eye normally feels just as it did before the operation. I would classify the symptoms as generally mild, as they come and go and severity seems dependent on environmental factors. I do suffer anxiety that the situation will become permanent and suffer some self-recrimination, but generally the symptoms do not affect my functioning. I can read fine, though computer work does lead to the onset of fatigue earlier than pre-LASIK.
    The symptoms were probably worst about two months after the operation and lasted for about a month and a half. My eyes felt quite dry then, and I started to get worried. Since about mid-July I've been feeling a lot better but I don't think that I'm in the clear by a long shot.
    Looking at my eyes especially after a long day I am surprised at the lack of sheen on the eyeball.
    I have not experienced any vision abnormalities.
    I've been on Restasis for about a month and a half and take the usual drops. I also do compresses and take flax seed oil regularly.
    I've been to see two ophthalmologists for second opinions. The first said that my condition would improve with time and that "I would be fine." He acted like my complaints were routine and showed little interest, which I interpreted as a good sign.
    The second doctor stained my eyes and said they "looked good" and gave me a Shirmer test (9mm/11mm). He said my condition was "mild" and said that my surgeon was probably right that the problem would not become a chronic and long-term one. He said the condition would probably improve over time.
    I've contacted your forum to help me answer the question that has dogged me these past few months. Are my symptoms part of the so-called healing process? Should I expect these symptoms to last longer than the so-called six-month healing period? Are there any other people on the site who have experienced similar conditions? Did you get over them?
    By the way I think I probably had some underlying dry eye issues that were not properly treated before the surgery.
    Any guidance or insight would be helpful.
    Thanks and congratulations on the great site.

Hi and welcome, I too am a new user. I had LASIK 6 months ago and I too suffer from dry eyes. I have been told that with time it should improve by a couple of Dr's. and one said it won't! I am going with the ones that say they will. 4 weeks ago, my Shirmmer (spl) scores were 3 and 4, my tbut was 7 and 8. I just had permanant upper plugs put in to go with my 90 day lower plugs, it seem to of made a difference. My situation is a bit worse as the symptoms have overwhelmed me. I also take the restasis and the flax/fish oils and am hoping for improvement, I think that you have come to the right place, these people are knowledgable and supportive and I'm sure with time you will improve as well, best of luck.

Brad

Comment

Brad,
      That's great. I'm sure you will find improvement. I think I improved quite a bit with the Restasis, which I've been on for about six weeks now. My eyes don't feel parched, but I still have some very minor foreign body sensation and very subtle dryness and really in only one eye. Sometimes I'll get the stinging and mild itchiness, especially after a long day at the office. I'm hoping that it will go away for good or at least end up something that will be easy to manage. I am in a humid climate and you are in Los Angeles which is dry of course, so that might play a role too.
      By the way here's an interesting article that you might find of interest: http://archopht.ama-assn.org/cgi/con...ull/122/9/1338

Comment

Hi Omaha, thanks for the info. I will speak to my dr. next month about NGF. i wonder if it will work this late in the game? I just suffered a CE yestersay and could use some relief. I am very glad to hear you are improving and continue to hope forn that "6 month spontaneous" healing!!

Comment

Working...
        X