new member: johnny

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new member: johnny

Hi I am johnny. I have had really painful eyes for the last 3 years. It gets so bad in airconditioned and dry climates that I basically am non-functional it hurts so badly. I live in Mississippi so at least It is pretty humid here so at least I can go outside here for relief from the dry airconditioned building I work in.

( Specifics about my eye problem)

I have always had slightly dry eyes. ( iknow this because I tried contacts at like age 15 and they would always dry up in my eye easy and gave up wearing them) In the past 3 years my eyes have become very uncomfortable. At first, it was only at work where everyone likes to set he AC on 55degrees. *SIGH* My eyes have gotten worse over the past year to where they always feel a little irritated even at home.

((SYMPTOMS))

-don't have typical classic dry eyes- My eyes are never sensitive to light and they rarely have any gritty sensation or a dry scratchy feeling. ( i live in a humid region of the USA

- They just burn - menthol effect or whatever however u explain it.

-Air conditioning is my BANE I get the urge to close my eyes. or just cover my face with a blanket. I can't stand central heating or a lot of wind. They do get literally dry if in a windy dry environment.

-very fatigued heavy feeling in my eyelids and forehead.

-Eyelids are always red. Capularies are enlarged and visible in my eyelids.

- Lots of bumps appear at my gland ducts and popping them increases confort. Heat compresses and scrubs exacerbate symptoms.

-Extreme sensitivity to cosmetics (cologne, perfumes, eyeliner, foundation, anything. especially if it has a strong scent.)

doctors told me I have ocular rosacea, but I have lost a lot of faith in what they think or say. I do have some rosacea type symptoms on my face.

I am trying to do a lot of hot compresses and eyelid washes but not helping so far.
    I was on oral doxycycline half doses every day for 5 months.
    I was on antibiotic eyedrops with steroids for a week.
    nothing helped.

Anyone with the same thing I have? Have you found something that helps?

Johnny,

Your situation sounds so familiar.

I no longer do warm compresses and lid scrubs. My eyes don't like the heat; however, they do like the steam of my hot drinks.

I bought an eye ice mask from Rite aid, and it helps so much to bring down those large vessels in my eyes. You may want to do this several times a day. I know they recommend heat, but that didn't work too well for me. I believe it only enlarged those vessels that are obstructing the oil glands, and yours are definitely not working right if you are getting those little bumps. They are clogged.

I am on restasis, and I think that this too has helped reduce inflammation as it does indeed whiten my eyes.

To reduce the menthol sensation, I wear moisture chamber sunglasses when in public. I wear walmart paintball goggles that are lightly tinted at home with my family. I am in some sort of protective eye gear all day.

Throughout the day, I will take off the goggles and do a little massage on my eyelids to stimulate what little oil I may have.

I was also wearing lacriserts which are little pellets that you put in the corner of your eyes that produce tears for 12 hours. They really did the trick for me. I think they also built up my tear film over the time that I wore them as well. I did not experience that menthol sensation when I wore them. I would highly recommend them. My doctor did not want to prescribe them for me (they are a script) because he said I produced near adequate tears, but they still worked wonders for me to reduce the menthol sensation, and I did not have overtearing. It was as if my eye only took what it needed from the pellet. I would ask for a sample from your doctor.

To sleep, I put in my restasis and then do an ice pack. I sleep with a satin sleep mask and the paintball goggles over it. I like the room very dark. This has definitely helped my mornings.

From what you say, I believe that your best bet would be to try a pair of goggles. I started with my ski mask and cheap anti fog swim goggles around the house. Test the waters and see if it makes a difference. For me, the difference was huge. I am an avid boater and jet skiier so I have goggles for all occasionsl. I don't think twice anymore. I'm more interested in comfort at this stage in my life. If you don't like the goggle idea, please try the lacriserts. I think they will help you just the same.

I have not tried doxy, plugs, IPL or gland probing as of yet. It is nice to know that I still have a few tricks up my sleeve for later years.

Best wishes,
    Melissa
    pianolady

Comment

Working...
    X