Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi there - first post =) PRK/dry eye/contacts

Hello

I have been wearing contacts for 13 years and have developed dry eyes as a result. I find myself in a catch 22 as the contacts have made my eyes dry, but feel most comfortable when wearing contacts and so I have to keep wearing them. When my eyes are exposed they are sore and feel like burning and I get headaches as a result.

My eyesight has stabilised at -6 and -5 respectively and I have had the initial laser consultation and am suitable to have PRK (my eyes are too thin for lasik).

My only concern with going ahead with laser is having the same or even dryer eyes afterwards. The Dr tried to relieve my concerns by saying its lasik that causes dry eye due to severing the nerves which PRK does not do. Is this true? Is PRK less likely to end with dry eyes?

My Dr also said the only way to cure dry eye from contacts wear is to stop wearing contacts.

I am just scared I will only exacerbate the problem by having PRK but also think the dry eye will get worse if i continue to wear contacts.

Anyone have any opinions? Thanks for listening.

Hi Pine*

I am sleepless in the midwest tonight and just cruising through but I want to tell you NOT to do anything with a blade or a laser until the people have talked to you. Too many of us listened to our (Lasik/PRK) doc. Lucy
    Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

The doctor just wants your money. I had lasek (not lasik) and my eyes are dry and i have never ever had problems with dry eye before my surgery. I do not have very dry eyes like some people but if i were you and i allready had dry eyes i would not have a surgery.

Comment

Hello and welcome!

Originally posted by pine*apple View Post
        I have been wearing contacts for 13 years and have developed dry eyes as a result. I find myself in a catch 22 as the contacts have made my eyes dry, but feel most comfortable when wearing contacts and so I have to keep wearing them. When my eyes are exposed they are sore and feel like burning and I get headaches as a result.
        I would like to caution about this assumption that contacts have caused your dry eyes. I think that dry eyes are, more often than not, multifactorial. Can contacts contribute, probably (though there's surprisingly few medical studies saying so) but I think more often there are other factors behind it. One of the reasons I'm really concerned about this with you is, if the cause is assumed to be contacts then corrective eye surgery sounds like a reasonable solution. But this board is full of people who went from the proverbial frying pan into the fire when they had laser surgery after some pre-existing signs of dry eye.

The Dr tried to relieve my concerns by saying its lasik that causes dry eye due to severing the nerves which PRK does not do. Is this true? Is PRK less likely to end with dry eyes?
        It is certainly true that PRK and the other 'surface ablation procedures are LESS likely to cause dry eyes than LASIK. It does not mean that the risk was eliminated. We've had some people here who have had extreme dry eye pain even a couple of years after surface ablation.

My Dr also said the only way to cure dry eye from contacts wear is to stop wearing contacts.
        I would respectfully submit that you first need to know what's causing the dry eye and treat it. Saying the contacts caused it is just too plain simplistic. I'd like to see him show you the medical evidence for it. I'd also like to hear what a knowledgeable cornea doctor with no financial interest in you having surgery has to say about your situation.

I don't like to scaremonger especially with PRK because it really is thought to be lower risk, BUT in your case, if you are so dry that you are noticing the 'shield' effect of contacts, you're too dry to want to risk becoming drier. First get the real condition identified and under control.

My recommendation would be, get yourself a fashionable pair of glasses, and look for a cornea doc that takes a serious interest in dry eye. Do some reading on the site, including articles like this one on getting a good diagnosis.

But please never, ever, get laser surgery while unexplained, uncontrolled dry eye symptoms are going on.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Working...
        X