New to Dry eye talk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to Dry eye talk

My name is Brian Armitage and have a optometric practice in Jacksonville, FL. Prior to owning Baymeadows Vision Center for the past 5 1/2 years, I was the world head of clinical reseach at Vistakon, a Johnson & Johnson company, that manufactures the ACUVUE contact lens. My interest in dry eye problems began with dryness problems with contact lenses. After many years of research, new contact lens technology has significantly reduced contact lens related dryness.

However, eye dryness continues to be a major problem with my patients today. My research experience has allowed me to better evaluate patients and prescribe individual treatments for their conditions. This area of research continues to be very active as dry eye problems increase as we age. Feel free to email me at drbrian@BaymeadowsVision.com and visit my Web site www.BaymeadowsVision.com. I am excited to participate on this forum.

welcome to the board Dr. Brian,

Do you have alot of experience with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction? what could be causing the inflammation?

Thanks,
    rhad

Comment

Welcome Dr. Brian! Great to have you aboard!
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Originally posted by rhad View Post
        welcome to the board Dr. Brian,

Do you have alot of experience with Meibomian Gland Dysfunction? what could be causing the inflammation?

Thanks,
        rhad

MGD is a common finding among my patients although the severity will vary. I believe the inflammation starts at the cellular level and slowly causes damage to the gland and therefore its secretions. Normal cellular metabolism results in the formation of free radicals that can damage the glands. When we are young our body has the ability to neutralize these free radicals, and minimize the damage. However, as we age our body has less ability to do this. this is why doxycycline and Omega 3 fatty acids are prescribed due to their anti-inflammatory activity. The inflammation that starts at the cellular level does not cause any symptoms. However, as the disease worsens symptoms and signs become present.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris View Post
          Welcome Dr. Brian! Great to have you aboard!
          Thanks Rebecca, I hope I can help!!!

Comment

Hi Doc. Welcome aboard. As you read through many of the threads on this board you will see that there are many of us here who have been forced to pretty much give up contact lens wear due to severe dry eye despite even the latest “breakthrough” contact lens materials currently on the market. I’m curious, given your expertise in the contact lens industry, are you aware of any new contact lens developments (for dry eye sufferers) on the horizon that may offer a ray of hope in the near future to those of us who really want to get back into regular lens wear?

Comment

Hi all...

This is my first visit over here. I am new for dry eye talk. First i would like to say hi to every member of this forum site. I am happy to visit again....

Comment

Working...
              X