Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Post-LASIK Dry Eye & Starting Dwelle Today

Hi All,

Another de-lurking. I had custom wavefront LASIK in January of 2008 (original rx was -7.50 in both eyes and was mildly contact-lens intolerant) and did surprisingly well for the first year and a half (only using OTC PF drops in the morning and in the evening). I literally felt like I was on top of the world in February of this year. You know, so good that you think, "Something is BOUND to happen, life is just too good!"

Well, something did! In May of this year, some MAJOR stress hit me, and I feel as if my eyes dried up over the course of two weeks. You name it - I was living it: My mother-in-law was dying after a 5-year battle with lung cancer, one of my cats died, I was horribly stressed at work, and I was trying to wrap up a very stressful semester of school (which I was trying to do full time at that point!). Looking back, it was just too much for one person to take I think.

Fast-forward to today, and here I am, making my initial post on the DEZ. My symptoms have not really improved since late May. They change day to day and are basically a burning sensation in 1 or both eyes and just a general gunkiness-type feeling. I know from my LASIK records that I had SPK grade 1 as of May of this year and judging by the feeling in my eyes, this has not resolved.

I have, however, dealt with some issues which I STRONGLY suggest we all try to do to lessen our load in this already-burdensome life: my MIL passed away two weeks ago and the stress level from that situation has dropped IMMENSELY, I spoke to my boss at work about my work load and some people who were dumping on me, and I have cut back to part-time school only. Can't replace the cat but we have 4 others to help divert my attention!

What am I doing now? Well, when I noticed my go-to drops lessening in their effectiveness in May of this year, I tried everything else on the store shelf. It's bizarre, like something would work for a day or two and then stop working. I made the decision to go drop free about a week ago and my eyes did relatively well. But the past weekend threw me for a loop (why are there good weeks and bad weeks??) so I broke down and instilled my first drops of Dwelle last night and again today. But I'm not seeing any white flakes! WAH! I also drink TONS OF WATER, eat right, do hot compresses 2x a day, take 3 Theratears in the morning, a multivitamin and a separate vitamin D3 and evening primrose capsule at lunch, and then another evening primrose at dinner. I'm trying to get my omega 3/6s in balance, hoping that will do SOMETHING!

Worth mentioning is that before my eyes dried out, I had run out of my evening primrose. I was originally taking it because I do not eat meat and my uncle (vitamin guru) told me that I needed to get omega 6s from somewhere and to take the evening primrose. So when I ran out I just thought, "Well I'll buy some more soon" and never did. After the dry eye started in pretty badly, I made it a point to research omegas and found that evening primrose can help dry eye. I don't know if it is coincidental or what, but I'm back on them, and this time for good!!

I am not on any medications except for Ativan for anxiety, a very low dose of it. I started this medication AFTER the dry eye symptoms began because like others, I was stuck in a well of guilt 'n shame over the LASIK and I really felt like I could not climb out without help. I know Ativan is a benzo and they can mess with your tear glands, so I hope to one day ditch it and see if going ENTIRELY medication free helps. The Ativan helps to me to mentally focus on everyday life without being too consumed by the dry eye, so for now I am going to continue taking it.

I will try to update everyone on my progress with Dwelle, since I am going to give it a REAL HEAVE HO. I will not be mixing it with other drops and will try to be diligent for several months.

I have yet to try anything else like Restasis, plugs, or lacriserts. My LASIK doctor did try me on a steriod and I truly think that worsened my condition, so I am going to stay away from those as well.

So, a big thanks to Rebecca, Rozjen, dianat, Lucy, VirginiaDryEye, Bernmee, and all of the others who have posted what works for them and what does not. I have learned so much since my lurking days began and hope to find something that gives me some bonafide relief.

- Rose
Working...
X