Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Moorfields Private Eye Hospital- Opinions?!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CharlieGreenEyes
    replied
    I haven't been there as a private patient but had very bad experiences there as an NHS patient. This was 3 or 4 years ago though - and from what I've read (here and reviews on NHS patient opinion site) experieces are mixed - some very good, some not good. Privately I guess would (hopefully) be different - and I have considered it for myself but went somewhere else (also privately, in desperation) in the end.

My experience on the NHS there was: I never got to see the consultant, waited 2 hours to be seen by a rushed dismissive opthalmologist (the wait would be worth it if I'd had a proper consultation and examination but that never happened when I went, which was a number of times), and I was left without any effective help for my eyes. But, you'd be going privately where, presumably, the wait is short and you get to see the consultant (and have a proper non-rushed examination and consultation). From what I understand they do prescribe Ikervis - both privately and on the NHS, but I don't know if their private department is like other places (and the NHS at Moorfields when I last went) and try not to give it out.

Sorry I can't help more. I was recommended a consultant there a few years ago (I was actually supposed to be under him on the NHS but never got seen by him). It's been a couple of years since I last visited this site so I'm not sure what the rules are on giving out names here? I also haven't seen him myself so can only pass on a 2nd-hand recommendation - but happy to do so if someone confirms it's okay to give out names.

Just as some extra info. I recently saw someone privately. Not at Moorfields but another name I found on here recommended by someone. He also seemed to want steroids (prescribed me some) and didn't mention ikervis at all. I'm not sure if this is just how it is in the UK - and whether you need to push for it (I regret not asking about it at the time), or whether it's because he hadn't seen me before and starts from the beginning as if you haven't been seen by anyone before (so leaves ikervis until you've tried other options).

Leave a comment:

• IrishEyes1992
    started a topic Moorfields Private Eye Hospital- Opinions?!

Moorfields Private Eye Hospital- Opinions?!

Hey guys,

Im from Northern Ireland and have chronic inflammatory dry eye. I have seen two opthamologists here in Northern Ireland. My first one was extremely rude....the second guy was better and more understanding but seemed to be very into steroids and wants me using maintenance doses three times per day for three days once per month. ( though warned me they can cause blindness) he said Ikervis would be way down the road.

Can anyone from the UK who has been to Moorfields eye hospital give me some information about it?.....Was your experience good/bad? Would you recommend it or is it no different to going anywhere else?? Does anyone have a consultant at Moorfields that they can recommend?

Does Moorfields give out Ikervis on private prescription? I rang them and they said they do stock it but obviously they need to see you for a consultation....so I'm wondering do they give it out on private prescription or is it like a lot of places where they very rarely give it out in only the worse case scenario...no point in me going over there if they aren't going to give me it.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could get back to me on their experience of Moorfields and whether they would recommend me going or not. I would be going as a private patient....im not sure if its the same hospital/building as the NHS or if its all one place or two completely separate places.

Thanks!
Working...
X