Nerve Growth Factor eyedrops (Oxervate) to be available soon in Europe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nerve Growth Factor eyedrops (Oxervate) to be available soon in Europe

I've read a lot of Pubmed articles regarding nerve growth factor and its role in healing various ocular pathologies including severed corneal nerves and ulcers. Looks like Europe recently approved NGF eye drops and they'll be available soon. Unfortunately, I'm in the USA and no word of anything like it here. I've actually even tried making my own NGF eyedrops in the past by ordering the raw materials from a lab research supply company, but could not tolerate the drops for reasons unknown to me. I suspect I was sensitive to a chemical used in the purification process, but all the studies I've read reported no side effects. Anyone here know about Oxervate?

http://www.prnewswire.co.uk/news-rel...637622853.html

At the moment Oxervate is only approved for very rare cases such as neurotrophic keratitis in Europe rather than dry eye in general unfortunately. I read that their dry eye trials are still in phase 2 I think (phase 3 is the last then they go through the process of getting approved in different countries). The problem I think is the cost, I dunno whether it's accurate but someone said a UK eye doctor said it costs thousands. That must restrict how many people the NHS here in UK can afford to give it to, so may explain why it's only very rare cases. I saw someone on the dry eye groups say a friend has been permitted to try it but only one eye at a time.

You can read about how to use Oxervate here including the full list of ingredients and potential side effects.
    https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...r_patients.pdf

The active substance is cenegermin. 1 ml of OXERVATE contains 20 micrograms of cenegermin.
    The other ingredients are trehalose dihydrate, mannitol, disodium hydrogen phosphate anhydrous, sodium dihydrogen phosphate dihydrate, hydroxypropylmethyl cellulose, polyethylene glycol 6000, L-methionine and water for injections, hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide and nitrogen.

Possible side effects

Like all medicines, this medicine can cause side effects, although not everybody gets them. The majority of side effects occur generally in and around the eyes. The following side effects have been reported

Very common (may affect more than 1 in 10 people)

• eye pain.

Common (may affect up to 1 in 10 people)

• inflammation of the eye;

• pain in the eyelid;

• abnormal sensation and discomfort in the eye, including feeling that there is something in the eye;

• increase of tears (this could include symptoms such as discharge in the eye);

• inflammation of the eyelid with itching and redness;

• redness of the conjunctiva (mucous membrane that covers the front of the eye and lines the inside of the eyelids);

• sensitivity to light;

• irritation in or around the eye;

• headache.

Uncommon (may affect up to 1 in 100 people)

• excessive ingrowth of blood vessels into the cornea;

• infection of the cornea with pus and swelling.
    Some other things that have nerve growth factors though are autologous serum (eye drops made from your own blood) or fingerprick autologous blood for those places that can't get access to serum, amniotic membrane such as Prokera, AmbioDisk temporary contact lens or the upcoming amniotic / umbilical cord tissue Regenesol eye drops (estimated February 2018 release for the US). There's also things like RegenerEyes, Genesis, OptiSerum which are amniotic / umbilical cord fluid extract drops but as they don't retain the original tissue not sure how much better they are than autologous serum.
    Sufferer due to Toxic Epidermal Necrolysis.

Comment

I got a lot of those side effects, mostly eyelid inflammation and eye pain (pain like I've never experienced before, it hurt to move my eyes around and resolved 2 days after stopping the drops), with the NGF drops I made on my own. I bought the NGF from Alomone labs, but I may try again from a different company to rule out confounding factors. I'm going to try out Genesis in the mean time and go back to serum tears too. 20 ug in 1 mL is a very small concentration; in most publications, the concentration they used had was 250 ug/1mL, 1 drop every 2 hours for 12 hours of the day.

Comment

Hosanna 13, I also made my own NGF eye drops. I made them at the concentration used in the studies. It was very expensive but my eyes felt great.

I also had the tender eyelids but no eye pain. Supposedly that goes away after a while but I could only afford about 10 days worth.

How much did the NGF cost you? What concentration did you make? How long did you use it for?

Did you ever try the Genesis drops? Were they helpful for you?

Sorry about all the questions

Comment

FDA approves oxervate see :
          FDA approves first drug for neurotrophic keratitis, a rare eye disease

Comment

I hope its widely available soon!

Comment

Can oxervate be purchased in Europe? Italy, Germany, UK?

Comment

Sorry I just saw your post. You might want to contact Dompe about it?
                http://www.dompe.com/contact-en/
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

It’s availabe in the Us Now for over $1,000.00+ per vial x 8 vials. Medicare is not covering it, I’m challenging it otherwise I’ll be paying between $11-12,000.00, a hefty sum it seems, am trying to get info on how well it has been received in Europe and cost

Comment

I am also interested in oxervate. Did anyone see improvements while using it? Did side effects (photophobia, eye pain) go away after stopping?

Comment

I am on my 3rd week of Oxervate… I am having a lot of trouble wearing my schleral lenses because of my sore eyes..Still a lot of burning.. Which is my main problem…

Comment

Working...
                      X