Success with Oasys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Success with Oasys

Just thought I'd write to let you know that I've had a lot of comfortable wear with my dry left eye with Acuvue Oasys (12 hours plus per day). I do find I need to change the lenses every week, though, rather than the recommended two, or the dry eye symptoms come back. Meanwhile, weirdly, my other eye rejects Oasys and is still happy with Zero 6! How are Stanza and Maened getting on with contacts?

Thanks for the post! I too have bleph and need to wear contacts as my life is hell in glasses. I have been mulling over committing to Oasys or Acuvue 1-day. Most will recommend dailies for bleph, but I freaking hate daily contacts. They don't breath as well as Oasys, are expensive, and are a pain in the ass to put in. It's good to hear you are having success with Oasys. I really like them and they do a great job of reducing the dilated blood vessels in my eyes.

I was just wondering, what cleaning solutions do you use? Do you use a daily cleaner like Miraflow or even a weekly protein remover?

Thanks!

Comment

I'm in the UK and use a solution called Easiclens which has no preservatives (by Boots). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and I don't get on well with very many of the others (so I'm ekeing out my current supply). I also put my Zero 6 in a protein remover solution for 30 mins once a week. I think using Oasys as a weekly lens really works - the daily ones tend to be too thin and dry out very quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by Zarla View Post
        I'm in the UK and use a solution called Easiclens which has no preservatives (by Boots). Unfortunately, it's been discontinued and I don't get on well with very many of the others (so I'm ekeing out my current supply). I also put my Zero 6 in a protein remover solution for 30 mins once a week. I think using Oasys as a weekly lens really works - the daily ones tend to be too thin and dry out very quickly.

I have been out of the UK for a couple of months..but before i left my optician told me that there was a new silicon hydrogel Acuvue ...daily contact lens...supposedly very similar to oasys due to come out around May time... have to check up on this.

Comment

hey Zarla, nice update, how powerful is the Oasis lens? I don't think I can get bi-monthly lenses in my power
          I had to move and my optician didn't sort the rx for one of my proclears, so I'm now in one Zero6 and one proclear, actually worked out ok as the proclear is for the eye that has problems with the rims of lenses and it definitely doesn't have a problem with the proclear!

That said - I only wear them very rarely, sadly, comfortale as the proclear is, it seems to get blurry with eyedrops (which is not logical - I use lens friendly drops) or I think it's the drops it could just be me I guess! But anyway whatever it is after a couple of hours it can be annoying. Whilst the zero6 seems ok.

You said they aren't making zero6s anymore though, or was that my imagination? Just wondering what I'll do when I need new ones! I want to go get sclerals though, I don't think soft lenses are going to be more than 'party' lenses for me soon
          Last edited by Stanza; 11-May-2008, 07:22.
          just keep swimming...

Comment

They go up to -12, Stanza. I had to get my normal base curve of 8.8 and the right eye, which is 9, won't tolerate them as they feel too tight so is still with the Zero 6, even though this is an unhealthy type with low oxygen transfer. I would go for 8.8 curve with these or whatever is closest to your Zero 6. is your prescription -13, though? I can't remember.
            Oasys are very comfortable but do gather protein quickly so need changing every week, unlike the zero 6. I have managed to stop all drops and everything except for 50 mg of Doxy once a day now and I am going to try to get down to once every other day.

Comment

Just to answer your other question - zero 6 is still being made but they have changed the design and made the edge sharper. You might still be ok with them. Oasys has a lovely soft edge (like the old style Zero 6). It's also a bit thinner than Zero 6, but not so thin it crinkles up in your eye. It's 38% water, like Zero 6, and the same diameter, but is made of a softer, more 'watery' material - hard to describe. It feels just like putting a drop of water in your eyes at first - really nice!! This gradually wears off as the week goes on and it gathers residue but my vision stays clear. I have stopped using all drops as they just make my contacts blurry!

Comment

yeah the powers won't work for me but i'm still excited as that's the highest i've seen a weekly lens go, so they are now starting to make them higher, so who knows in some time?

They sound great, glad they've worked out. Thanks for the other info too, is useful. Going to see if I can get the proclear to stop doing the blurry/crinkly thing and see how it goes or I probably won't take them again next time.
                just keep swimming...

Comment

Stanza and Rory

Stanza, you might be able to get an optician to put in a 'bespoke' order for your prescription in the Oasys! I just ordered online and they don't have the full range. Proclear don't go up to your prescription online either I don't think, but didn't your optician order them in?
                  Rory, a daily lenses like Oasys would be the answer to my prayers as I need to get away from soaking solutions altogether! Still not sure what to do when the Easiclens runs out. Tempted to just stick them in saline solution every night and change them every week before the nasty stuff has a chance to build up (without using any sterilising or peroxiding solutions at all ). One Zero 6 lenses is £10 and one Oasys about 50p, so this wouldn't be a completely unfeasible financial proposition(about £40 a month). In my view, the chance of infection is much less than the manufacturers of these solutions make it out to be, unless you store the lenses in tap water. I think a lot of it is hype and the solutions do more harm than good in some cases. What solution do you use, as a matter of interest?

Comment

I know they looked in that range last time and they didn't but give it a year and who knows?? I'll keep asking

On solutions - you could try googling the main 'ingredients' of easiclens maybe and see what is most similar? There must be something eh?
                    just keep swimming...

Comment

http://www.epinions.com/review/Bioco...t_161252281988

interesting - this seems to mirror my experience with proclear, perhaps they're just not good if your DES is from lack of tears. Might work for other types, they are very very comfortable, but I do have the 'fogging' problem!
                      just keep swimming...

Comment

The fogging problem: I used to have this and it took a while for me to realize that the "fog" was actually debris that was collecting on the inside of the lens. At first I thought the lens was drying out in the center--because I don't make many tears. But I could take the lens out, and actually rub the debris off, rinse, and put it in again---then it would be clear.

I no longer wear contacts. I think my eyes were so very dry last year---and were producing lots of inflammation by-products like mucous and proteins. There weren't enough tears to keep a flow of liquid under the lens, and the debris would collect--making fog.

So look closely and see if the "fog" is something that can be rubbed off.

C

Comment

will do, sounds similar. Thanks for the thoughts.
                          I've all but given up too, to be honest, I'm sort of on a once a fortnight for a couple of hours schedule with lenses now. I am thinking of going to london to try schlerals but I'm sceptical they'll work for me as hard lenses never did. ARGH!!
                          just keep swimming...

Comment

Working...
                          X