osmolarity test

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• osmolarity test

There is now a "reasonable" price test in the UK for testing osmolarity of the tear film. This has great significance to dry eye treatment. For those who have dry eye you can now have your tear film tested to see if treatments are bringing the osmoloarity down to below 312. This is significant in that osmolarity below 312 does not create an inflammatory environment. For those who are not yet feeling the effects of dry eye they will be able to know when their osmolarity is going above 312 and take corrective measures early.

Do they take a sample of tears and send it to a lab? Or does the doctor do the test during an office visit?

I think this is an important development. Often I have felt that inflammation is making my eyes uncomfortable, not dryness, particularly.

Do you think having plugs has an effect on osmolarity of the tear film? I am down to one plug only, in my driest eye. Plugs in general seem to increase inflammation in and around my eyes, which I have always assumed was due to the "stagnant pool" (of debris) effect. But perhaps they changed the osmolarity.

Is this test connected with a company name, and would it be available in the US?

Thanks,

Calli
    (Sjogren's dry eyes)

Comment

Calli
      The test is performed in the doctors office.

Studies have shown that punctal occlusion does lower osmolarity. In fact one study showed that 80% of patients with punctal occlusion and a two week dose of topical steroids had zero staing and greatly reduced symptoms.

Three companies are currently developing a product for the US market. Most likely a year away.

Comment

I think inflamation is why my inner eyelids feel uncomfortable, and why drops don't help me sometimes.

Is this a test I could ask to be performed on the NHS?

Comment

Working...
        X