This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cyclosporine in UK on NHS?

Saw my Ophth yesterday, and he encouraged me to seek out Restasis on the Internet as he could not perscribe it in the UK. However, this page seems to say that Cyclosporine drops are available on the NHS:

http://www.goodhope.org.uk/departmen...ies.htm#severe

Cyclosporine drops are available now from the NHS and can be very helpful.
    Anyone in the UK know any more about this? Buying online looks bloody expensive!

I dont know but prob be expensive..

Better off getting them from www.edrugnet.com

But you should take that along to him next time.. cylsporine have been available but must dont use for dry eye and as i said mite be expensive.
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

Anyone in the UK know any more about this? Buying online looks bloody expensive

Hi Jlg

I saw that link too but it's misleading. The version of Cyclosporine ointment is that which is licensed for animal use. It is true that it is used in the NHS. I was prescribed it by a consultant I am seeing privately - it cost around £12 but it didn't help me at all. Restasis was obtainable but ridiculously expensive.

There are 2 pharmacists who import it to the UK. I cannot think of their names but one refused to deal with queries from the public (me) and the other quoted around £300 for 32 vials.

Boots the Chemist sourced it from me and it was going to cost around £970 for a months supply - but I think that might have been based on the dose that the consultant prescribed ie 2 lots of 32 vials

Wherever you obtain it, a prescription is needed. It's a real pain isn't it? I wrote to Allergen (UK) in recent weeks and they could not say when (or if) there were plans for it to be obtainable in Europe.

NB
      I think one of the pharmacies was called John Bell Croyden (?)

Comment

£12 is alot better than the silly online price. Licensed only for animals but still available on the NHS? Weird!

I wouldn't be against trying it if there's a chance it could help. I'd rather Allergan sorted themselves out though. There seems to be a very rapidly expanding UK market for DES related medicines.

Comment

The ointment isn't really the same product as Restasis; it is often used to give corneal grafts a chance of survival in clinic - I suppose vets dispense it when animals have ocular surface disorders too.

This is the letter from Allergen. IDIS refused to give any information at all, insisting that if I wanted to know the costs, they would only supply this information to my doctor. You can bet that if it is passed by NICE (National Institute for Clinical Excellence) it could be a postcode lottery.

As you know, RestasisTM is not available in the UK or Europe and Allergan are not able to supply the product on a named-patient basis. However, it is possible to obtain RestasisTM on a named patient basis via an international pharmacy. The contact details of two such pharmacies are given below.

IDIS World Medicines, IDIS House,Churchfield Road, Weybridge, KT13 8BD
          Tel: 01932 824 000 Fax: 01932 824 200 E-mail: enquiry@idispharma.com

John Bell & Croydon, Wigmore Street, London W1H 0AU
          Tel: 0207-935-5555 Fax: 0207-935-9605 E-mail: jbc@johnbellcroyden.co.uk

However, RESTASISTM is a prescription only medicine and therefore can only be given on a prescription by a doctor. It is also important to note that there is a cost implication in obtaining it via the above pharmacies. These pharmacies should be able to give you further details about this.

Unfortunately, I am not aware of any plans for this product to be made available in Europe at the current time. I am sorry for any inconvenience this may cause you.

Comment

Working...
          X