Mucous Fishing Syndrome -- HELP!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mucous Fishing Syndrome -- HELP!!!!!

I need some help here, please. I am getting none at EVERY step of the way.

7 years of Hell -- Contagious?
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showp...2&postcount=28

A couple more suggestions
    http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showp...4&postcount=29

Contagion proof?

http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showp...7&postcount=30

I'm sorry you are having so much trouble, borobundy. I too have mucous strings and they are terrible.

Your posts are a bit overwhelming, at least for me, perhaps if you could tone it down a little you would get more responses.

I hope you can find some help here. There is a wealth of information available here.

Comment

Be patient when you first post on the forum. Sometimes responses are instant - sometimes they take a few days. People need to digest. And of course much of the community doesn't visit every day.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Have Had Mucus Strings for 7 Years to!

Borobundy,
        First of all welcome to our community, I don't post often, but I am catching up and seen your posts, it's hard to live with and can be extremely over whelming, at first when I got this awful mucous fishing syndrome I thought I was losing my mind. It started with a bad eye infection while I was in college, I was using the computers in the computer labs because I didn't have my own computer at the time, I must of touched my eyes and got an infection? Went to the eye doctor and he perscribed me eye drops to cure the infection, 3 day's later I started noticing these long mucous strings coming out of my eyes and as the day's went on they got worse and worse.

I went back to the eye doctor and explained this to him, he had no cure and couldn't suggest anything but to quit touching my eyes and it would go away, then found that I had Severe Lattice Degeneration in both eyes, sent me to the Moran Eye Clinic in Utah, that was his biggest concern, which still scares me, wondering if any day my retina could become detached and I could end up blinde? So year after year I have been searching for a "cure" there isn't much you can do and I wouldn't put Q-Tips in your eyes as you get those fuzzy little strands of fibers in there and they cause more damage.

I've tried the fish oil eye drops from a compouding pharmacy called Leiters Pharmacy in California, google it, they worked for a while and almost stopped the strings, couple weeks after they started again. So for years I've been using Muro 128 eye drops about 3 to 4 times a day, these drops are for Corneal Edema and will not hurt your eyes if you use them for long term, these drops help bring the mucous strings out of your eyes, I use a clean wet wash cloth with clean hands and remove them, then I rinse them out with perservative free eye drops, this is my regimen, may not work for you or for everyone dealing with this awful eye condition but it's worth a try?

I have good day's and bad day's, sometimes my eyes are worse one day but the next the strings are minimal, like today, they are awful and I can't tell you how many times I've rinsed my eyes out with the preservative free eye drops and used the Muro 128? At first I freaked out just like you, it's normal and no doctor has a "cure" the only thing you can do is find what works for you and that makes it "tolerable" never "comfortable" but tolerable, yes it sucks and still to this day sometimes I want to scream! I get frustrated and tired of dealing with it and I am very sorry to hear that you've been dealing with it.

I buy the Muro 128 at Wal*Greens it's $24 and the preservative free eye drops I buy at Wal*Mart, a huge bottle is $4 bucks, I go through about 2 bottles of the Muro 128 and about 3 or 4 bottles of the other, it all depends on how much you use them and how often your bothered. I've tried many other methods that never worked for me, also just to let you know NAC eye drops dry out your eyes and the supplement never did nothing for me. Good luck and God Bless, feel free to e-mail me if you have any other questions. D

Comment

Hi Delilah- Good to see you. I read your post and to clarify for borobundy, are you buying Muro 128 DROPS or Muro 128 OINTMENT?

Also my eye doc said I could use Muro "forever" and it wouldn't hurt my eyes, although I have no medical knowledge this is true. But I use Muro often and don't worry about damage. Lucy
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Point soilidified

Main point solidified and displayed once again, by the removal of my most recent post. there was absolutely nothing appropriate about it, imo, with all due respect.

Comment

Borobundy:

Please read the user guidelines before continuing to post here. Thank you in advance.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

I get this is as well. Quite terrible especially since my eyes are very sensitive and they irritate and make my eyes red. Im going in for allergy testing, pumping me full of needles. My doctor thinks its allergy symptoms. I do notice they are reduced when I use allegra. Also on the internet when you look up clear discharge, i have seen that it is an allergy symptom.

To be honest I do use q-tips, i dont touch my eyes. Your right about the string ends from the q tip can get in your eyes, so im very carefuly. I have to use it though and actually stick it in my eyes because they come mostly from the top corner by my nose. I wipe gently with the qtip. If you dont get them out, the pain and discomfort is worse, and my eyes then get very red and aggravated. I dont see how you cannot touch your eye with something, they need to come out, they also distort vision if they build up. As soon as i get them out, my eyes feel great, and my vision is nice and clear.

Comment

If the cotton bud is wet would that help prevent bits coming off do you think? I use buds too.

Comment

Hi,

I was just wondering how often does this mucous take to build up? and how much often do you get it out? and how how much of it is ther?.

I get tiny mucous build ups also, its not THAT much, it comes in the corners of my eyes, i just thought it was due to dry eye, but ive noticed its been worse in my left lately. I get it out a couple of times a day.. its niot that much though, but i notice it builds up through out the day.
                    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

this is my first post

hi everyone,

i had mucus strings also, but i never knew what to call them. i knew it was mucus in my eye, but i didn't have the faintest idea why. it was sporadic though--i remember having them as a child and they were diagnosed as "not pink eye but some kind of allergy perhaps" (yeah that was helpful haha). then i went 35 years without having any, and when i started teaching middle school, it seemed i would often have bouts that looked like pink eye but only in my left eye, never the right. additionally, you don't want people to think you have pink eye and are teaching because it spreads so quickly among children. i felt that if it were bacterial or contagious, it would surely affect both eyes. it was almost impossible for me to get to a doctor when it was happening because it only lasted a day or two, so by the time i had an appointment, it was gone. not exactly anything i'd go to the emergency room for. but i started to have episodes from about once every six months to one every couple of months and it was so annoying. actually, it would start with the strings and globs that obscured my vision, and if i removed them with a kleenex or even used eye wash to try to flush them out, it just got worse. my entire eye would swell up, turn red and really hurt. i would just put warm washclothes on it and have to wait a day or two until my eye returned to normal.

finally, two years ago, i had an appointment with an optometrist and it just happened to flare up. it sounds stupid to be happy that i had pink eye, but i was just glad that a doctor would be able to see it.

he prescribed patanol drops, said they may or may not work. i was really skeptical that it was from an allergy, but he explained that since it wasn't bacterial and i have no other problems with my eyes, it could be from something i was allergic to and didn't realize. i do have cats, but it didn't start right away when i got them, so i was hesitant to think it was from them.

however, whatever was causing it is controlled by the patanol because i haven't had one episode since i started using it. it could also be from having dry eyes because i noticed that i usually had problems after i had stayed up very late grading papers.

i feel bad for those of you who have chronic dry eyes, because i don't, but maybe this will be of some help to someone. i found this site because i wanted to know what the problem was called, if anything--i don't like to have any health problems and have no idea what they're called.

even though i'm not a doctor, it seems that having chronic dry eyes in addition to some microscopic allergen would cause this very annoying problem? i've seen the commercials for restasis, but i have no idea if it's helpful or not.

i use the drops twice every day, and they appear to be preventive.

Comment

mucus - thick and stringy

I've been reading the posts on this. Dr has me on several different drops, the latest being Vigamox and Lotemax. The inflammatiion has calmed down somewhat but the mucus continues. The watery tearing is reduced after removing the lower punctal plug. The upper duct is narrow/plugged (on its own).

Like you all have said, this mucus is a nuisance. I'm constantly carrying a tissue around to wipe the mucus off, only to reappear in an hour or two.

Any ideas?

cassie

Comment

No help

Brief update:

The most recent ophath. I saw was the lackey associate of the main doctor. She offered no help and, AS USUAL, didn't even want to me to pull some out of my eye for her to see what the ACTUAL problem is.

My sister contacted the main doctor at that office; he claims to have treated someone "several years ago" with this... disease. I call it a disease because I KNOW it is contagious. It is not a "condition" or an "issue." It is a contagious disease.

I know what I know, thru experience. You know what you know, because someone told you.

I KNOW.

However, my insurance has changed since I was last there and his office does not accept my new insurance. When my sister inquired about doing it pro bono, as it was his office that did NOT diagnose/treat my disease the first time around and they got paid for doing nothing, there was simply a lack of response from him. Essentially, "oh well... nothing we can do... move along... nothing to see here," as usual.

If you, as a customer, pay for a good or service which is not rendered by the provider... are you to pay ANOTHER time to attempt to get the good or service not rendered the first time?

If your answer is yes, I have a house I would like to sell to you. Just send me the money and then, "move along... nothing to see here."

And in response to Bette40 -- I already use wet/moist Q-tips. Some people just don't take the time to actually read what others write. There was never an issue for me with "bits" nor "fuzzy little strands" coming off the Q-tips.

To cinderflower -- Patanol did not work for me and you likely have it in both eyes. One is just MUCH worse than the other. Remember... I know, thru experience.

To all: Read -- process -- understand -- retain. Only then may you respond.

Comment

Originally posted by borobundy View Post
                            I call it a disease because I KNOW it is contagious. It is not a "condition" or an "issue." It is a contagious disease.
                            It is NOT contagious. I repeat, It is NOT contagious. Please stop spreading incorrect information, it doesn't help anyone.

You keep taking your anger out on doctors because they don't cure the problem for you, I feel your pain, but here's a news-flash, they don't cure the problem for you cause THERE IS NO CURE. Or if there is, science has not yet discovered it.

So maybe you should just take a few deep breaths and calm down. There are a lot of people here suffering from it including myself. But you spreading frantic misinformation doesn't help anyone. You may want to consider that your high stress and franticness may be contributing to the flare ups.

Also regarding Q-Tips I could never use those, I attempted to once but as soon as I saw the Q-Tip and my eye close up in the mirror I realised it seemed like a terrible idea because of the huge fibres that clearly have the potential to come off in your eye. Those fibres touch your eye before the 'core' part of the Q-Tip gets close enough to get the mucous out - this seems pretty clear to me. I just use a tissue folded up a few times as it's clean but it doesnt have the huge fibres that Q-Tips have that will just come off and go in your eyes.

BTW I use Bion tears at the moment, the no preservative capsules. and I use Zaditen drops when it gets bad.

Comment

Working...
                            X