This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ocular Side Effects with Bisphosphonates

I have been on Fosamax for 6 years and had never heard there was a connection with the serious eye problems I have. There is alot to read out there so check it out there. This was a topic on Dry Eye in 2008, thought it bears repeating.
    Ophthalmologists Dr. Rick Fraunfelder and his father, Dr. Frederick T. Fraunfelder, from the Casey Eye Institute (Oregon Health Services University, Portland, OR), wrote a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine. They state that currently there is no mention of the potential side effects of bisphosphonates in the Physicians' Desk Reference for Ophthalmology.

Any patient on a bisphosphonate who reports vision loss or ocular pain should be referred to an ophthalmologist, the Fraunfelders advise. Specifically, physicians caring for patients who are taking bisphosphonates should "look out for deep boring eye pain, a red eye, photophobia, and decreased vision." One possible side effect of the bisphosphonate medication is scleritis, a vision -threatening and potentially blinding condition if it goes unrecognized and untreated. "A finding of particular importance to clinicians is that no case of unilateral or bilateral scleritis that developed in a person receiving bisphosphonates resolved, regardless of therapy, until the bisphosphonate was discontinued," they explain.

Another eye condition called conjunctivitis seldom requires treatment and usually decreases in intensity during continued exposure to a bisphosphonate, but discontinuation of the bisphosphonate may be required for the ocular inflammation to resolve.

Physicians need to be aware that more than one ocular side effect can occur at the same time

I had read about the connection before, but thinking back on my own experience with Fosamax, I may have had more eye pain, blepharitis, and photophobia when I took it. This was right about the time I started some serious dry eye and also entered menopause, but before I found out I had Sjogren's.

Fosamax did raise my bone density scores, but I decided to quit it because of all the "unknowns". I had vitreous detachments and bad dental problems during that time, and was worried that the Fosamax might not be the best for me.

Now I try to take extra calcium and do Jazzercise to keep my bones healthy, and so far, I'm stable without using meds for osteopenia---not great, but OK.

C

Comment

Working...
    X