Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Congress of Corneal Biomechanics, April 2010

http://www.cbcongress.com/presentati...iveSurgery.pdf

I like this presentation for simple summaries of current treatments - really good pictures before and after, clear explanatory diagrams, helped me understand. Pls post if anyone can find the text pre-publication tho'. Sorry it's simple, just found that useful.

Thanks - Prof. Richard W Yee (Dept of Ophthalmology and Visual Sciences, Univ. of Texas, Cizik Eye Clinic, Hermann Eye Center), think it's conference intro - covers all our preoccupations - restoring corneal surface, effects of preservatives, improving microenvironment, long term use (if you are post LASIK and find this reference tactless I am truly sorry).
    Last edited by littlemermaid; 18-May-2010, 05:20.
    Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

The product that most meets all of his criteria for corneal healing and comfort are the HA drops. They are the most cost effective treatment for dry eye.

Comment

What are 'HA drops'?

Wondering what are 'HA drops'?

Originally posted by indrep View Post
      The product that most meets all of his criteria for corneal healing and comfort are the HA drops. They are the most cost effective treatment for dry eye.

Comment

Originally posted by littlemermaid View Post
        (if you are post LASIK and find this reference tactless I am truly sorry).
        Well, as a post-Lasik, I personally found nothing tactless about it at all... found it an interesting slide presentation, actually... so thanks for posting it!

Comment

morgaine101

HA is Sodium Hyaluronate. It is a fabulous molecule for artificial tear use when of the right molecular weight and concentration.

The molecule is very similar to the mucopolysaccharide that is the mucin layer of your tear film. In other words it acts a great substitute to hold the water on your ocular surface. It also holds 1000 times its weight in water. So if you're aqueous deficient this molecule holds water from every blink on your eye. It also promotes healing of the damaged cells on the ocular surface. If you have corneal erosions this is a great product to help those.

Comment

Ha

How does one get/buy HA (sodium hyaluronate)?

I googled it and found that brand names include Healon; AMO Vitrax; Amvisic Plus; Hyalgan; Hylo-Comod (Eye Drop).

I've never seen these OTC in the US or Canada (I live in Canada but shop in the US, too).

Can someone please point me to where HA is?

Thank you,
            Sheila

Comment

Often people recommend products not because they know or believe they are good but because of financial interests they have.

Comment

weteyes

I agree with your post and wanted to make sure people understand OASIS' position.

OASIS has not paid any consultants for any articles or studies on their products.

Comment

Chemia,
                  By chance did your doctor do a lissamine green staining of your corneas before you started the Oasis drops?

As for increasing TBUT to 10 on every patient. I have seen the results of a study claiming that, however, I am not familiar with the details of that study. I am familiar with a study that showed an average increase in TBUT of 50% at 2 1/2 hours after one drop on 70% of the patients. This is after nly one drop of Oasis TEARS Plus. To compare that to something, RESTASIS claims a 33% increase after 12 months.

One of the issues slowing down the approval of meds for dry eyes is this issue. The patient feels different than the clinical signs show. I have personally seen corneas that have improved very significantly and the patient felt no different than before. That's not to say at some point the discomfort/pain will go away. My experience is there is a long healing time for long term dry eye patients.

My wish is that every dry eye patient would get a lissamine green photo of their cornea before treatment and then evry 90 days thereafter. This would allow the patient to see their corneas healing. With this eventhough the discomfort might still be there at least you would know the treatments are havig an effect.

Comment

Working...
                  X