Mary Kenny Badami (1941-2010)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary Kenny Badami (1941-2010)

I was devastated to learn this morning that Mary Kenny Badami passed away last Friday.

Mary was one of the veterans from the early days of post LASIK internet communities (first known as “gloomsburg”, a play on Bloomsburg, PA where she lived for many years). She was an articulate and thoughtful voice in the post LASIK patient advocacy world for a long time. In recent years, especially since retirement, she was not as frequently active on the boards, so other than fellow veterans most of you may not even know of her, but she remained an avid reader and deeply interested in all our community developments all along.

I first “met” Mary online at the original refractive surgery bulletin board, SurgicalEyes in 2001. We later met in person several times including once in Bloomsburg. Mary was a founding board member of LaserMyEye, Inc., a nonprofit patient advocacy group (now defunct) that I ran for some years. Mary was also longtime moderator of D’Eyealogues, the bulletin board associated with LaserMyEye.

She was a delightful, gifted person and a dear, dear friend for many years. Her integrity and communication skills always inspired me and her personal support was a great encouragement to me over the years.

Here is her official obituary:

Dr. Mary Kenny Badami, age 68,
    of Scenic Avenue, Bloomsburg, passed away Friday, June 11, 2010, at her home.

She served on the faculty as a tenured professor at Bloomsburg
    University, from 1981 until her retirement in 2006, in the Communication
    Studies Department, where she also served as chairperson for six years.

She is survived by her daughter, Linda Badami; son, Scott Badami;
    daughter-in-law, Heather Badami; grandsons, Alex and Evan; brother, Paul Kenny; sister-in-law, Judy Kenny; and niece, Alison Kenny. She is also survived by her beloved friends: Harry Strausser III, Dwayne Heisler, Chris Defrain, Kara Shultz and Mike Dillion.

Dr. Badami was born in the Bronx, N.Y., the daughter of
    the late Ann Kenny.

She was an avid reader, especially of science fiction. She loved theater, teaching, fierce debate, folk music, “Magnum, P.I.” and her family. With an amazing mind and memory, she enjoyed Team Trivia every Thursday at Harry’s Bar and Grill with her friends. She was also a four-day champion on
    the TV show “Jeopardy!” in 1966.

In lieu of flowers or as a memorial, please make contributions in her name to the Bloomsburg Theatre Ensemble, 226 Center St., Bloomsburg, PA 17815 or the S.P.C.A., 2801 Bloom Road, Danville, PA 17821.

The Badami family is being assisted by the Allen Funeral Home of 745 Market St., Bloomsburg. For those wishing, online condolences are available at AllenFuneralHomeonline.com.

The date of a memorial service will be announced soon.

She will be missed very much.
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

Oh my goodness -- Mary was so incredibly kind to me. Emailing me with encouraging words and even calling to talk me through rough times.

Mary, you helped so many people here.

Comment

Thank you for posting this, Rebecca. I'm so sorry that I did not know the extent of Mary's health problems.

Mary and I corresponded through private messages and learned that we shared a lot of interests in common. I'm quite saddened by this news.

Her calm, helpful voice on this board will be missed.

--Liz

Comment

Ugh, Rebecca, this is a big loss. Mary was so helpful to me in my early 'lurking' days on this board, and I will never forget that.

Rose
        Last edited by Sammy B.; 16-Jun-2010, 06:16. Reason: Added info

Comment

Mary Badami

Very sorry to hear this, she was a kind and persistent advocate for dry eye victims

Comment

Mary"s sense of humor was out of this world! She was razor sharp, affectionate, loyal, honorable and so incredibly interesting... this news is nearly unbearable.

I would like to share something with you. Very early on in our friendship, Mary and I discovered that we are both avid listeners to NPR (National Public Radio) and LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the show "wait, wait... don't tell me". We would email or call after - or sometimes during - a particularly funny show and laugh and laugh. It is a fast-paced, current events, debate-y type show that pits the audience and the witty, sharp panel against one another. It's right up Mary's alley. The show is on Saturdays and Mary and I knew that we were probably listening to it 'together', she in PA, me in MI. It was our connection. I just didn't know this past Saturday she was listening from a higher place than I.
            Cindy

"People may not always remember exactly what you said or what you did, but they will always remember how you made them feel." ~ Unknown

Comment

This is indeed sad news.

Mary and I exchanged a few private messages and I could tell she had the capacity to be great company.

Good night & God bless you Mary

Comment

Mary Kenny Badami

So sorry to hear about our loss of Mary. She was a special person who gave me support in my early days of post Lasik dry eye and later when I had an op.
                We had quite a lot in common. Too young to go.
                Dot
                When the going gets tough - the tough get going!

Comment

That is so sad. Thanks for letting us know. She will be missed.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

This is very sad news. I have exchanged a couple PMs with Mary in the past, and she was so compassionate and wise. She will be greatly missed.

Comment

The world has lost a very special person ...

Now I understand why the world was so much darker last Friday ... Mary took some of the color with her. What an incredible person, what a tremendous advocate and what an amazing friend she was!

I met "Twinsta" (our nickname for each other) on Surgical Eyes in 2000. I ended up being diagnosed with LASIK Induced Trigeminal Neuralgia. That's basically a fancy title that just means a whole lot of pain. Mary understood that humor and friendship were a potent prescription in getting people through long nights of pain. I know because she got me through a whole lot of them. She had a quick and wicked humor and I loved signing on and finding her in the chat room on Surgical Eyes. She also had a bright and beautiful spirit!

I've always said that you have to look for the joy in each day. Especially when you're in pain you have to find the joy and hang on tight. Well, Mary was always a joy in my day! There were so many times I found myself thanking God for her!

My only regret is that I never got to meet her in person and hang out with her. Well, my time will come too and then ((( ((( ((( Twinsta ))) ))) ))) ... I'm bringing that much laughed over roll of duct tape along (silly private joke) so you be watching for me!

MJ
                      Last edited by MJ; 21-Jul-2010, 18:14.

Comment

Sigh.

I miss Mary

I find myself thinking about her more and more these days.

She has always been a big part of DEZ for me even at times when she wasn't very actively posting. It was such a habit for me to always check in with her if I had a quandary, a questionable poster where I wanted to make sure I wasn't being unreasonable or unfair... I so often catch myself thinking, "What would Mary have thought about this member/this post?"

She was such a delightful combination of personality and integrity of character. A woman like no other.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

I agree with this Rebecca. I couldn't bring myself to write anything about her death with the other posts. I can't even bring myself to take her email address from my email list. I think I have the last few emails she sent me.

I know she misses us too. Lucy
                          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Nothing like being a year late. I knew Mary from the early days of surgical eyes and we would periodically get in touch over the years. I felt a special connection because we were both academics.

I remember one night I was on campus-maybe it was about 9 PM, and she was on her respective campus. I am in Ohio and Mary was in PA and it was dark. We were talking on some chat board. I tend to never be concerned about walking in dark places at night. Mary told me to get home and bring a bat with me as I walked to my car. I might point out that I walked to my car in the dark on a regular basis with no concern. But that particular night, I brought a "bat" with me as I walked to my car.

Mary provided comfort to me when I especially needed it. And she would also occasionally refer people in my area to me so I could offer my help. I appreciated both efforts.

I am very sad to learn she is no longer with us.

Comment

I am so saddened to see this. Mary was such a help to me when I first joined back in 2005. I have been gone too long.

Comment

Working...
                              X