Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to expect from a visit with Dr. Latkany

Hi all...

Just wondering what to expect from a visit with Dr. L... I just finished inquiring about the cost of a visit, and, well, it was more than I expected

So, while I realize everyone's situation and therefore their appointment is bound to be unique, I figured it couldn't hurt to ask for your experiences... I'm hoping it will help me decide if I should cough up the money for this or not...

A visit with any of the local ophthamologists tends to take around 5-15 minutes...

Part of me thinks that since it will cost me $1100 just for the flight and appointment fee itself, I should just stay home... I know he's a wonderful doctor, but there's only so much that any doctor can do, even a great one, right? But then again, part of me wonders if maybe, just maybe, he'll be able to offer some kind of solution, insights, or treatment regimen that will be SOOO worth the trip!...

Anyhow, don't mind me rambling on...

This is probably a silly question to even be asking... I mean we're all so unique, right? What's totally worth it for one person may be totally NOT worth it for the next...

I think you are right in that every patient is different, so the appointments could include different things. For me, we spent the first 20 minutes or so just talking. He listened to all the different things I had tried and what all the various doctors told me. He was very patient, and I felt like he really cared and was concerned.

He diagnosed me with ocular rosacea pretty quickly. As I recall, he did a schirmers, tear break-up, pressure check, and corneal staining. He also did the normal kind of eye exam through his equipment, flipped my eyelids, pressed on my glands. He also showed me how hard to press for the eye spa.

After I left I followed his advice....stopped all artificial tears, ointments, and started doing cold compresses instead of warm. He had indicated that people with rosacea can do well with Restasis so that is what I am trying now. We needed to get my inflammation down first, which happened during the next month after my appointment following his advice.

When you leave his office, he tells you to email with a status and/or questions. He has been very responsive to my emails.

I was fortunate to find a flight for $200 and also my medical insurance covered the appointment cost with the exception of a copay. But honestly I was in a very bad place when I made the appointment, and I would have paid a lot more at the time to get some help and direction.

Hope that helps.
    Last edited by Debk; 23-Jun-2010, 14:59. Reason: added one more test

Comment

I don't think it's a silly question at all.

The idea has gone through my mind several times but I've not done anything about it - other than to check out the flights.

Over the years, I've seen so many people that I wonder if there is anything left to be said that hasn't been said already - but perhaps more eloquently!

When my eyes are very sore and I feel down, I think about these things more. My eyes are not that bad just now, so it's something I put to the back of my mind - as a possibility. As you say, there might just be some kind of fresh insight that would make the journey worthwhile.

(You could always book a short holiday and include Dr L as just a part of the proposed tour! )

Comment

Hm, same. Debk or anyone: how does Dr Latkany or ANother doc assess inflammation? We are currently checking eyesight and guessing.
        Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

Thanks so much for all of your replies... it helps to know what to expect from a visit with Dr. L... at least that way, if I DO decide to go, I'll know ahead of time what to expect for the money I'd be spending!

I think I'm leaning towards NOT going at this point... but there are days when I wonder if I should, know what I mean?

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post

Over the years, I've seen so many people that I wonder if there is anything left to be said that hasn't been said already - but perhaps more eloquently!
          Yes, I wonder this as well... I'd hate to spend the money on the visit only to come to the realization that there is nothing more that he can do for me that my own doc hasn't already done!

Originally posted by irish eyes View Post
          (You could always book a short holiday and include Dr L as just a part of the proposed tour! )
          Although I live in a city, I'm a total NON-city girl when it comes to vacations heehee... like to hike, snorkel, explore beaches in the middle of nowhere... however, if a giant humid jungle with a few beaches on its borders appears in the middle of New York City some day, then I'll totally be up for that!

Comment

Was thinking of this too, my appointment with the ophtalmologist this morning was a complete nightmare, she was an ignorant moron. She completely ignored all of the diagnostic of the optometrist who referred her to me and just delivered me the dreadful line of, well nothing looks bad so there is nothing just very light dry eyes. What's with these people and their beliefs that if there are no prominent symptoms to immediately behold then there is no problem...

She was even alarmed because I used Dwelle and Clinitas Ultra 3 which I ordered from the Internet, and she said that because they contained polyvinyl alcohol and alcohol would be bad in the long run.

That's when I got 100% sure that her appointment was worthless.

Eye professionals in Quebec I found out, are ass-backwards in a myriad of different ways. They don't know how to do anything but prescribe OTC drops and their one brand of steroids.

Might as well pay a premium for the cream of the crop.

How much did he ask for the appointment itself? Might use Greyhound to go, it would be cheap.
            Last edited by Roderick; 25-Jun-2010, 10:29.

Comment

Working...
            X