dry eye in the future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dry eye in the future

i know that this has been brought up in the past, but what do y'all think the likelihood is that there will be a cure (or better treatment) for dry eye someday? do you things this will one day no longer be a thing to worry about within our lifetime? i'm asking this because i've read all the posts about people's eyes drying out naturally as the get older, and i read an article just now that said women's eyes are 80% drier after menopause then they were at age 18.... holy crap! if that's what i have to look forward to and i already have dry eye then i am going to be permanently forced into goggles one day! besides that though, i know that there are many people here that are struggling to balance dry eye and careers or dry eye and raising kids or dry eye and college. things would be so much easier with a cure for everyone.
    -Amy

Sooner then you think

There will be a cure for sure. Hands down. And I would be suprised if it took 20 years for it to happen. A lot of people right now are just nonchalantly going about there simple lives and don't think technology is changing that much. When in reality( and I know people don't want to hear this because they're scared of change) the rate of technology is speeding up exponentially. Do a google search and read what most of the great thinkers at the top of their fields are saying. Personally, I think we live in very exciting times.

Comment

And I'm going to throw in my exceedingly cynical two cents:

There's nowhere near as much money in curing diseases as there is in treating and managing them for a lifetime.

Take that for what it's worth; ignore it if it feels like the right thing to do....

Comment

....and that's scary

Comment

Do a google search and read what most of the great thinkers at the top of their fields are saying. Personally, I think we live in very exciting times.
          Montgumski: With all due respect, I admire your prediction. For all I know, you may be a research scientist with the "cure/fix" in the palm of your hand.
          Using the terminology in your post, you appear to be someone in the know.

I highly doubt we're afraid of change. I went to a wonderful laser physician 6+ years ago to "use some of this new technology of change." I should have been very afraid. In my case, it brought my life to a screeching halt as I knew it.

I've been waiting, watching, researching, taking part in dry eye trials, hoping and crossing my fingers for something to fix my dry eyes. I do not live in very exciting times since I can't go to my job any more. I should have just let Neil's post stand, as it said things in a very cogent manner. I tend to ramble. Just ignore me and my thoughts............I do not want to start a debate. However, I do not just go about my life non-chalantly now.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

What Neil said:

There's nowhere near as much money in curing diseases as there is in treating and managing them for a lifetime.

...and that's scary. I try to hope that isn't true. Capitalism, bah, humbug.

Comment

and that's scary. I try to hope that isn't true. Capitalism, bah, humbug.
              I would like to know where in the entire world you might find better "treatment" for our condition(s). I'll be on a plane in two hours. People in Britian cannot even obtain Restasis.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Oh, you're probably right. I'm just being a pessimistic dork today. Guess i've been in pain too long. This is still the greatest country in the world.

Comment

Charon, I see you've had Boston Scleral Lens (in your profile). How did they work for you?

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Well, my eyes are so severely dry that without the lenses I wouldn't be able to open them, and eventually the corneas would become scarred, etc. They greatly cut down on pain, but because of my condition, I still have pain, as the lens doesn't cover the inside corners, and they get very dry and painful.
                    I have an appointment for a refitting on April. 11.

Like you, I have had mine for about the same amount of time.

How do they work for you?

Comment

Charon, I could not wear my lens for awhile (not the fault of the lens) but something else going on, plus an eyelid infection that lasted for a long time.
                      I am just getting back to wearing them again on a regular basis. I am better with the lens than without is a good way to put it. My problematic left eye is better and I've had a recent surgery on the sclera which I think causes some pressure with the lens. I still am better with them. I suspect the left could use some tweaking. How close are you to Boston? I'm 1,000 miles away and made 2 trips there between July-Oct 2005 and just can't rationalize another at this time. Let us know how it goes after your appt. I am very interested as not many of us have the lens.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Meds I found that can cause Dry Eye

HI EVERYONE, I FOUND ALL THESE MEDICINES THAT CAN CAUSE OR WORSEN DRY EYE!!! DOESN'T THIS JUST SUCK!!! SOME OF THESE I TAKE AND IM GOING TO TRY AND SUFFER WITHOUT SOME OF THEM TO SEE IF MY DRY EYE IMPROVES. ONE THING ABOUT ALL OF THESE MEDS IS THAT NOT ALL OF THEM PERTAIN TO EVERYONE, IT STATES THAT FOR SOME PEOPLE IT CAN CAUSE OR WORSEN DRY EYE. HOPE THIS HELPS SOME OF YOU.
                        Allergy medicines (antihistamines) Can cause or worsen dry eye. This is true both for many eye drops used for seasonal allergies as well as for many or most over-the-counter allergy medicines.
                        Artificial tears
                        (for some people) Can cause or worsen dry eye for some people if they contain preservatives or if you are sensitive or allergic to any of the ingredients. Currently, most artificial tears contain methylcellulose, and some people with dry eye are sensitive or allergic to methylcellulose. Be aware that an allergic reaction can occur days or weeks after you start using a new eye drop.
                        Anti-depressants Some, including Diazepam (Valium) and Elavil, can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Atropine Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Beta blockers Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Blood pressure medications Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Cataract surgery eyedrops Some people report an allergic or sensitive reaction to eyedrops used after cataract surgery. See also Cataract Surgery.
                        Chemotherapeutic agents Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Decongestants & decongestant eyedrops Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Diuretics Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Glaucoma eyedrops Can cause or worsen dry eye. According to the Sjogren's Syndrome Foundation newsletter, February 2002, "much of the damage to the eye surface [when using glaucoma eyedrops] is from the preservatives in the eyedrops; it is possible for some pharmacies to compound some of these agents in a non-preserved solution."
                        Ibuprofen (Advil) Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Incontinence medicines Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Methylcellulose Although methylcellulose is an ingredient in many, possibly most, artificial tears and other dry eye preparations, some people are allergic or sensitive to methylcellulose.

If you have tried many eyedrops but find that they don't help or make your dry eye pain worse, try Refresh Lubricant Eye Drops (not the same as Refresh Plus, which does contain methylcellulose). The active ingredients in Refresh Lubricant Eye Drops are polyvinyl alcohol and povidone. You can find Refresh at MedShopExpress.com or Drugstore.com.
                        Murine eyedrops Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Niacin Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Oral contraceptives Can cause or worsen dry eye.
                        Plaquenil (hydroxychloroquine) Can cause or worsen dry eye for some individuals (sometimes prescribed for fatigue caused by Sjogren's).
                        Provigil Can cause or worsen dry eye (sometimes prescribed for fatigue caused by Sjogren's).
                        Refresh Plus Can make dry eye worse for people who are allergic or sensitive to carboxylmethylcellulose. Instead of Refresh Plus, try Refresh Lubricant Eye Drops (active ingredients: polyvinyl alcohol and povidone). Despite the similar names, Refresh Lubricant Eye Drops and Refresh Plus are completely different products.
                        Ulcer medications Some can contribute to dry eye.

Be aware that sensitivity to light (photophobia) is one of the possible symptoms of dry eye.

Comment

Lucy
                          I'm very sorry for your problems, it's certainly not easy. My left eye is also the worst one most of the time. Better with than without is a good way to put it. I live in Ohio, not sure how far away from Boston (Needham, that is) but it's much closer for me.

I made three trips from Sept.-Oct.05. One was because their lathe broke down and needed a few weeks to fix. This trip is because I feel something has changed with my eyes, and it could possibly be the fit as the bottoms are painful now even when the lens is out. Sometimes the eye shape changes and the lenses have to be refitted, they said.

Many people wearing this lens are not on the computer due to various reasons.

I will let you know how it goes & what they say. My eyes are always in a state of flux due to Sjogren's.

Comment

whoa! ibeprophen can worsen dry eye?!?! I've taken that many times in the past when i was having an extra bad day with my eyes being inflammed or when my eyelids were extra swollen because i thought it would help with the dry eye! i guess i was wrong!

and whoa! plaquenil can worsen dry eye?!?! for a while my eye doctors thought i had sjogren's because i have SLK (an eye disorder almost always caused by sjogren's or thyroid problems) which also contributed to dry eye. i was put on plaquenil for almost 3 months to see if it would help my dry eye! of course it didn't help. wow, if i would have known that i would never have taken it!

eveyones comments are rather discouraging.... maybe i was just hoping for some more optimisitic attitudes than i've gotten so far, and maybe i was hoping it would give me a reason to think things will get better. but from the replies of all of y'all, it sounds like a cure for dry is still far far far away and that i have no reason to get my hopes up. god that sucks.
                            -Amy

Comment

Originally posted by Amy09
                              eveyones comments are rather discouraging.... maybe i was just hoping for some more optimisitic attitudes than i've gotten so far, and maybe i was hoping it would give me a reason to think things will get better. but from the replies of all of y'all, it sounds like a cure for dry is still far far far away and that i have no reason to get my hopes up. god that sucks.
                              I'm sorry it comes across to you that way, Amy. As you can probably guess, most of us have good days and bad days, as do--I imagine--almost all people who struggle with any sort of chronic condition.

I would also guess that most people who participate on this forum can tell a fair number of equally positive stories, or that they've found at least one treatment modality that's made their situation better, or that they've found at least one coping mechanism that--even if the dry eyes didn't actually get better--made life just a bit easier, or that--even if none of that happened--they found some comfort in knowing that they weren't alone in this.

We get through this ... on good days with joy and enthusiasm ... on bad days with hopes for a touch of grace.

I wish you much luck in this journey. There's always a way to make this condition a little more bearable....

Comment

Working...
                              X