Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do I have Dry Eye?

Hello all,

I did LASIK surgery 10 months ago. I would like to say that prior to that point my eyes were completely healthy and I was a healthy person overall. Prior to surgery, i had -1.75 in both eyes. After my surgery in February 2010, I had no problems whatsoever. My vision in both eyes is 20/15 which is great(there is no typo here). I only had occasional dry eye and it never really bothered me as over the counter artificial drops were working fine. I used to put a drop every 1-2 weeks. It was never a problem.

However, a month ago on November 15, 2010, i woke up with irritation in my eyes. I don't know how to describe this irritation exactly. It's not exactly pain. It's more of an irritation. Sometimes I feel like there is something in my eye. The weirdest thing about this irritation is that 95% of the time, it only effects one eye at a time. It's either my left eye that's bothering me, or my right eye that's bothering me, almost never both. I would also like to note that my eyes are white. The irritation stays the same regardless of the environment I'm in. It is not effected by wind, or plenty of humidity. It fluctuates in severity during the day regardless of the environment.

Ever since that date, I have visited 3 different ophthalmologists. The first was the clinic where my surgery was performed. He told me that I have dry eyes and that he recommends i insert punctal plugs, which I did. The plugs did not give me any sort of relief. My eyes were also over-tearing during the first 6 hours of the day. After five days, I visited the clinic again and removed the plugs. I then began trying Refresh Lacrilub every night before I slept for about 4 days but that also did not provide any relief. At that point, i decided to visit a second opthalmologist.

The second ophthalmologist told me that my problem was probably not a dry eye problem since i had no problems with dry eye up to that point. He told me that he saw some inflammation in my eyes and he gave me a prescription for Nevanac. The Nevanac drops were the first drops to give me any type of relief but they did not make the irritation go away completely. They removed most of the irritation however. After revisiting the doctor, he told me to keep using Nevanac until the problem went away and then to slowly lower the dose afterward.

The third opthalmologist i visited told me my eyes were a little dry but they shouldn't be causing me this much irritation/pain and that they certainly didn't need punctal plugs. However he also told me he did not know why the irritation is happening and that my eyes looked healthy. I respect this doctor for his honesty although he really did frustrate me.

I don't know what to do anymore. The irritation has not gone away in 34 days now. I don't know whether it is happening because of dry eye or because of something else as there is evidence pointing in both directions. I am very confused and need help.

I want to visit Dr.Latkany in New York as he seems to be the only one that can give me a definite answer but his office is closed until December 27. Until then, any comments would be welcome.

Thank you so much for reading this lengthy post. It means to me a lot more than you can imagine.

Has anyone at least had dry eye that switches from eye to eye during the day?

Comment

Sorry I didn't reply to this when you first posted, NH640!

Originally posted by needhelp640 View Post
      However, a month ago on November 15, 2010, i woke up with irritation in my eyes. I don't know how to describe this irritation exactly. It's not exactly pain. It's more of an irritation. Sometimes I feel like there is something in my eye. The weirdest thing about this irritation is that 95% of the time, it only effects one eye at a time.
      I don't recall anyone describing the fluctuation exactly like this - with LASIK in particular, people so often have a better eye and a worse eye.

The irritation stays the same regardless of the environment I'm in. It is not effected by wind, or plenty of humidity. It fluctuates in severity during the day regardless of the environment.
      Now that's more unusual for dry eye. Have you tested that with any moisture chambers/goggles?

I don't know what to do anymore. The irritation has not gone away in 34 days now. I don't know whether it is happening because of dry eye or because of something else as there is evidence pointing in both directions. I am very confused and need help.
      OK that was December and it's now May. Where are you at now - are things the same, worse, better?

I have moved your thread back to Open Forum.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

Hey Rebecca,

Things are better mentally, not physically though. I'm not as depressed, even though I still am. I'm sort of getting used to the irritation. In the beginning I kept hoping it would go away as suddenly as it came. Now I expect it to be there when I wake up.

In total so far I've been to 11 ophthalmologists and i'm seeing my last one tomorrow. I've gotten different diagnoses from them. Some have told me dry eye(LASIK doc included), some have said allergy (Latkany falls in this category), some have said meibomitis/MGD, some have said corneal erosion, and some have said nothing looks wrong with my eye. I did a schirmer i got 10mm in 2 min for both eyes and 7-8 seconds for my TBUT in both eyes. Since the wind doesn't bother me I've always suspected i didnt have dry eye. Now i'm pretty sure it's not my main problem.

Since some doctors have told me I have dry eye i think its appropriate for me to post in this forum. Maybe if one day I find the solution to my problem I can post it here and if anyone else runs into it he can find the solution, even though his initial search will be dry eye.

Anyways, in the past six months I've tried all sorts of OTC drops, punctal plugs, Latkany's home eye spa, theratears nutrition, humidifiers, tranquileyes, ointments at night, steroids, non-steroidal anti-inflammatories, 4 prescription allergy drops (patanol, lastacaft, emadine, and allomide) and moisture chambers. Nothing has helped except the moisture chambers, and even those only help a little bit. I'm not sure what I have anymore. I've tried many things for dry eye and allergies. I'm not sure what to do now. I'm gonna try scleral lenses on the 30th since some of you have benefited from them. The worst feeling in the world is not knowing what I have. I don't even know what to search for in google anymore.

A while ago I asked a doctor if I possibly had corneal neuropathy and he told me that "You wouldn't be able to sleep at night if i did". I really hope the best for people with corneal neuropathy and those with extreme dry eye. Since I am not that bad, I can only imagine what you guys go through every day. I hope you find a solution. My problem is extremely annoying but I am still able to function. I can't describe what i feel. It's not pain, it more like something stuck in my eye that annoys me every time i blink. And the thing that drives me crazy is that most of the time it only affects one eye and it even switches.

I'm not sure what to do now except try the scleral lenses and if those don't work i think i'll just have to wait for something new to come out. I hope I get a real diagnosis soon as to what's going on.

Comment

Working...
        X