Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what is the differense btw lotomax and dexamethasone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is the differense btw lotomax and dexamethasone?

hi, can some one tells me what is difference btw lotomax and preservative free 0.05dexamethasone from literr pharmecy? I mean other than the preservative. the lotomax was very drying for me. is the other one also drying. please somenoe advise me. thanks alot.

Topical steroid drops

From my limited knowledge of the chemistry of these guys, here my explanation of the differences between the steroid eye drops. The main difference is the side effect profile. The main side effects are 1) increase in intraocular pressure, 2) cataracts, and 3) corneal thinning / ulceration. Also, with any steroid, you have an increased risk of infection and should stop taking them if you think you have an eye infection.

For these reasons, steroids REQUIRE REGULAR VISITS TO YOUR PHYSICIAN so they can examine your eyes. Sorry, I know it is just another way for doctors to make money, but there it is.

First, the traditional "older" steroids - dexamethasone, beclamethasone, prednisone, etc. - These have the highest rate of side effects.

Second, the newer topical "ketone" steroids like FML - fewer side effects than the older steroids.

Finally, the newest "ester" steroids, like Lotemax and Alrex - studies show slightly (but statistically significant) lower risk of side effects.

You also have to consider which is a drop and which is an ointment - different needs for different vehicles of delivery.

Edit ---> I forgot one thing. These side effects are dose dependent meaning that the higher the dose of steroid, the more likely you are to get side effects. So FML Forte (I think is 2x stronger than FML) has 2x the risk of side effects. Pred Forte twice as much as Pred, etc. etc. Also, the longer you take them, the more likely you are to get these side effects. <---- end Edit

That's really all I know about the differences. The usual other warnings about steroids (rebound, infections, etc.) are the same regardless of the type used.

Comment

Hi Guys,

Lotemax and Vexol are steroids that are used to treat inflammatory conditions, they are indicated for use when you wish to treat inflammation, but dont want the intra ocular pressure to be increased. I have found them to be of little use, and their "steroidal power" is less than often advertised.

If I was treating a patient, I would give a traditional steroid, and if there were side effects such as the pressure increasing, I would then treat that with an anti glaucoma medication.

Specifically, in reply to your question, Im not sure if its wise to be selecting medication like this, I would go to an eye care professional and let their years of training and experience guide you.

regards,

Ahmed.

Comment

Working...
      X