Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be somebody's dry eye buddy....

Hi all,

I just want to let you know that if you have a "dry eye buddy" on Dry Eye Talk in real need and whose day you'd like to brighten, please feel free to contact me about it. I keep a little "grab bag" of our eyedrops and eyewear available to send out for free now and then. No promises other than that I'll do my best to help when I can. Quantities will be quite limited because the eyewear is expensive but I'll try to have at least one pair of Panoptx and one Tranquileyes available each month plus several bottles of Dwelle and Dakrina.

It can be done as openly or as anonymously as you want, for example, you can just let me know the member's username and what you'd like them to get, and I'll contact them to get their address and let them know they have a gift coming from a secret dry eye buddy. To prevent abuse this is only open to Dry Eye Talk members who actively participate on the board.

Happy Monday
    Rebecca Petris
    The Dry Eye Foundation
    dryeyefoundation.org
    800-484-0244

I nominate you.

Pick something expensive, huh?

Comment

I'm having a lot of fun with this. 3 dry eye buddies to date, and from the way it's working so far, I think I might just have to rename it Dry Eye Zone Tag.

By the way, if you want to put a smile on someone's face by being a Dry Eye Buddy, eyecare goods are not the only choice - we have an "I care" package with some DryEyeZone merchandise that we can send instead. So if the person you want to cheer up already has the drops and gear they need (or if you don't know whether they do or not), don't let that stand in your way.
      Rebecca Petris
      The Dry Eye Foundation
      dryeyefoundation.org
      800-484-0244

Comment

I haven't had any buddy requests lately... hope that means everyone is well and happy

I accidentally wound up with a couple of pairs of Tranquileyes goggles in a color euphemistically listed on the order sheet as 'rose' (it's actually a rather appalling shade of fuschia). I couldn't bring myself to add them to our inventory - all the other colors are so nice - so they went straight into the bonus basket for a couple of (colorblind?) patients somewhere.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

I like fuschia. Often get my nails done in fuschia. I did my own hair today and it's now fuschia. I can't wait to hear what my friends think when they see me.
          Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

As of today, nails match my hair.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Well the dry eye buddy program is languishing a bit lately so I'm posting a reminder! Anybody want to nominate someone?

p.s. A "rose" tranquileyes is on its way to a good home, but there are other goodies available.
              Rebecca Petris
              The Dry Eye Foundation
              dryeyefoundation.org
              800-484-0244

Comment

I left a post asking if anyone could recommend a good reliable humidifier which puts out a lot of moisture but unfortunately nobody replied. I've looked all over the Internet, Walmart.com, Amazon.com, Target.com and so on and other sites which rate the different humidifiers and there doesn't seem to be a consensus as there are some which are highly rated on some sites but poorly rated on others. I also read a lot of negative user feedback on both Target.com and Amazon.com on every single model. I'm hoping someone will reply to this as I really need one.

Comment

re dry eye buddy.

Originally posted by Rebecca Petris
                  Well the dry eye buddy program is languishing a bit lately so I'm posting a reminder! Anybody want to nominate someone?

p.s. A "rose" tranquileyes is on its way to a good home, but there are other goodies available.
                  Hi rebecca I would like to nominate Ian anonymously as he has helped me with his emails and even posted me a few of his own samples free of charge and because its so sad that through laser treatment he got this horrible condition..regards cherry brandy.

Comment

Your wish, my command. One care package on its way across the pond.
                    Rebecca Petris
                    The Dry Eye Foundation
                    dryeyefoundation.org
                    800-484-0244

Comment

Thank you so much Carol and Rebecca. Your comments are really appreciated I am just so pleased that I could help you in some small way.

I am really struggling with all of this just at the moment.

Have been to the DR today and had permanent plugs put in my bottom punctum and 90 days in the top.

What a nightmare, when i move my eyes, I get a jab in the cornea from the plugs, I just have constant reflex tearing.

The DR told me it would be a little uncomfortable but this is ridiculous.

I have just returned from a 2 1/2 journey from London with tears dripping off my chin the entire way then I had to drive home an hour from the station - I must have looked a mess to anyone nearby - who cares. This is just beyond a joke.

I couldn't stand it any longer, have been up to the A&E department, after explaining what punctum plugs are and where they are put, I spoke to a DR who gave me the third degree. I could have given her a degree in eye care from what i have learnt on this board and my own research.

Long and short of it is this, permanent plugs are not the problem it is the temporary ones (sharp little suckers), they didn't settle properly and are hanging out of the upper punctum and scratching my eye.

Whilst I was sitting in the A&E department, the right one came out if I was game I would have a go at the left one but I am not that brave. Best to wait to see the DR tomorrow, maybe it will work its way out overnight.

What a day!!!!
                      Ian
                      Last edited by prattstar; 24-Oct-2006, 12:09. Reason: Update

Comment

Oh dear sorry to hear that Ian. - Sounds like they may be sticking out too far? HOWEVER do try and bear in mind that it really is possible for the initial irritation to settle down - I'm thinking 2-3 days - when the inflammation resulting from the insertion process itself recedes... Someone, I think IndRep or another user, explained more about this once, I'll try and dig up the thread. Personally I remember having a plug stick out too much and (DON'T DO THIS) I got desperate enough once on a Sunday to just yank one out with tweezers, so I do feel for you. If I had known that this is relatively common in the first few days though I probably would have been more likely to try and wait it out.
                        Rebecca Petris
                        The Dry Eye Foundation
                        dryeyefoundation.org
                        800-484-0244

Comment

I have pulled a plug myself. Sometimes it is so loose you know it will drop out any minute anyhow, and in my case, I'd rather go into my hand than fall out on it's own. I know it's not ideal, but sometimes it can't be helped.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Both temporary plugs out now

Thank goodness, I managed to get the temporary plug out, kept massaging my eyelid with a cotton tip dipped in saline (and a trusty pair of forceps also came in handy).

I wouldn't recommend this for anybody else to try, it was just driving me nuts being poked in the cornea everytime I looked in the wrong direction.

What astounds me more with this story is that the A&E department had no idea what I was talking about when I said punctum plugs, that was the first hurdle.

Back to my DR tomorrow to have new ones in. I am going to suggest that I sit around the surgery for an hour or two for them to check them before I leave this time.

This is the second time this has happened to me with these temporary plugs.

Much happier chappy now

Cheers

Ian

Comment

Thanks to someone

I've just been informed by Rebecca that I have an anonomous dry eye buddy who wishes to send me one of the packages. Thanks to whomever it is. I do so very much appreciate it. It brightens my day to know that someone really got help from something I said. Anyway, blessings to my dry eye buddy and to Rebecca.

Love,
                              Billye

Comment

Working...
                              X