Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• light sensitivity

Hi

What does light sensitivity or photo phobia feel like? i can feel my sinus pain worse when i look at natural light, i get a sharp pain in what i think is me forehead sinuses, where the pain from my sinuses are is on my eyebrows, just below my eye brows and inbetween my eyes (nose). I dont know whether this is due to my sinus problem and the close proximity to my eyes or its light sensitive problem with my eyes, any ideas? I dont get the sharp pain in my other sinuses on my cheaks but i do have sinus pain here as well.

I have noticed the problem worse after i went on doxy for 1 week, but cant say for sure, becuase i wasnt outside that often. but it is a recent thing. doxy does have light sensitive listed as a side effect somewhere.

Any ideas about whether this is light sensitivity or more to do with the sinus problem?
    I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Light sensitivity is also part of the progression of Dry Eye Disease. Could be the Doxy just exacerbated that aspect of DES or it could be just the doxy.

Comment

When I am experiencing sensitivity to light, I find myself wanting to be in a dark room or wear sunglasses. I find even florescent lighting irritating. I think the best way to describe what it feels like is when you wake up in the middle of the night and turn on a bright light. Your eyes just want to close, and the light kind of hurts. With the light sensitivity, I get this same sensation in any type of bright light, or reflecting light. I seem to be more comfortable outside when it is cloudy. If the sun shines right after a rain that is brutal. It seems like my light sensitivity is a problem when I am having increased inflammation and severe burning. It is not an every day thing. This one is kind of hard to explain.
      Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I never had this before taking doxycycline - but I have been noticing it more and more. Only really affects me outside, indoor light doesnt bother me too much. The pain is like behind my eyes. Even on days when the sun is behind the clouds - it still makes me squint sometimes.

Comment

Hi kitty where exactly is the pain? in your actual eyes or around your eyes, above underneath etc (where there is bone) that feels like a headache?

Now im not to sure if this pain is sinus pain or light sensitivity, it feels worse in any light or when i look directly at light than when im in the dark but there is still pain in the dark as well. Do you have any pain in the dark here as well around eyes?

I do feel like closing my eyes sometimes due to the pain around them.

I have read this:

'a sinus infection can stimulate nerves leading from eyes to brain, sending eye pain messages that make you wince in ordinary day light'

Im getting really depressed again becuase i dont know what the problem is, and I hope by sorting the sinus pain out eventually it will sort the sensitivty to light out. I cant hanndle wearing those thinted sunglasses everywhere, no offence to anyone who wears them but id feel like a freak wearing them at my age, its not an option! i really feel like dajavue here, if doxy has caused this symptom. like when antidepressants caused the dry eye!

If the ENT cant find anything wrong with my sinuses i dont know what im gonna do!
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

More likely to be your sinuses if you still get this pain in dark I would have thought I mean how can you be light sensitive in the dark? Maybe your sinus problem is just confusing things at the moment - do you have an appt at the ENT soon? hopefully they will clear things up.

Its interesting about the doxy though - I didnt have light sensitivity before - I dont remember reading this was a side effect though.

Comment

lists side effect: http://www.allaboutvision.com/condit...tsensitive.htm

http://www.doxycycline.com/what_is_doxycycline.htm#11

The pain definately felt worse whilist i was on the doxy and afterwards, the section about light sensitivity and sinus pain on that link does make sense.

Ive never had a problem with light sensitivity before recently.

Yea hopefully the ENT will find a sinus problem. The reason im worried is becuase ive been reading that its rare to have sinus headache with out the stuffed up nose, or nasal drip etc. And it could actually be 'migranes' which one common symptom is also LIGHT SENSITIVITY, aparently a study found 88% of people who had what they thought was sinus headache actually had a type of migrane, but these ussually come and go and is not constant. whereas, sinus infection/headache is consatnt (like mine). I really dont know what to think!

Susie: is the light sensitivity around your eyes or behind, what does it feel like?

Oh yea in the dark, i dont get the sharpe pain from light in the bone around eyes, but i press the bone and it still feels tender and painfull in the dark.

Maybe DR G might Know anything about this??

Comment

The pain is in my eyes but feels like its at the back/behind them. I also get a sharpish pain that goes across my forehead above my eyebrows. It only goes if I close my eyes. For me I think it may well be the doxy, Ive been on it four months now and its only really the last month that this has become a bit of a problem.

Comment

My light sensitivity pain is in my eyeballs. I will get a headache if I squint too much, trying to control the light coming at my eyes. A couple of days ago, I was getting a haircut and was in the shampoo sink, looking up at the halogen lights. I had to close my eyes. Same thing happens at the Dentist when the exam light is turned on. I know when I get the light sensitivity that I comment to myself "gosh those lights seem bright today", "is everyone driving with their high beams on?", "since when did traffic lights get so darn bright?". When my eyes get like that, I also see halos around the lights. I have pain at night with my eyes closed, but that is different. It is the DES pain.
                  Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Originally posted by sazy123
                    Oh yea in the dark, i dont get the sharpe pain from light in the bone around eyes, but i press the bone and it still feels tender and painfull in the dark.
                    Sazy....

My thought: it sounds pretty clear to me that you have some light sensitivity in your eyes, right? I mean: you turn off lights and at least a piece of it gets better.

So the underlying question, really, is: what's causing this?

Because Doxy has light-sensitivity (doesn't say eyes, specifically, but....), it's on the short list of possible causes, IMHO.

Many times, sinusitis is presumed when migraine is the actual issue. Migraines are closely associated with sensitivity to light. In fact, they can actually affect the functioning of the pupil (that'd do it). The ENT should be able to help you rule out sinus issues, especially with either endoscopy or a CT scan.

Sad to say, you could have a little piece of a couple of these issues. The tough thing to do is what you're already doing: approaching it systematically with the appropriate experts and doing the best you can to treat the symptoms until they can help.

I know what you mean about being young and wearing "funny-looking" goggles everywhere you go, but ... my experience? I'd rather they be staring at me while I'm smiling than glancing at me when I appear to be in pain....

Good luck. It's definitely a tough struggle.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/e...cle/003041.htm

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/migraine.html

Comment

Hi neil, yea there is deffinately some kind of light sensitivity, but hoping the cuase is the sinus problem rather than some indefinate problem with my eyes!

The reason i am reluctant to think the problem is migrane headache is becuase apart from pain over sinuses and light sensitivity i have no other charateristics of a migrane which comes and goes. unless im wrong and migranes can be constant! that study also says that there are alot of people whos pain/headache is a sinus problem. Although im not happy about having this sinus problem i would still prefer it to be this then i can get something done about it rather than not knowing what it is!

I know its vanity but i would be depressed if i had to wear those things and wouldn't be able to smile anyway!

Comment

Hi Sazy, froniga here....

I have light sensitivity as well, usually at night, and so much so that I cannot drive on city streets, I feel blinded by all the headlights, street lights etc. I also find at night I have to dim the light level of my computer screen. I am bothered by dry eyes mainly at night. In my case I feel the dry eyes and light sensitivity are paired together. I don't take the drugs you take, but did for nearly a year take various glaucoma drops that exacerbated the problem. Even going off them did not relieve the dryeye/light problem. So I have just last week gone off a very low dosage of hydrochlorizine (a diuretic) and I am starting to notice the tiniest improvement, hopefully just the beginning. This is the last of the prescribed drugs that have worsened a genetic condition.

In your case you may need to eliminate all drugs that contribute to your condition as well, in cooperation with your doctor. Have you had your sinus exam yet? last we spoke via the chat room you were going to the doctor. All the various parts of your syndrome need addressing and may be different from others. Be sure to bring all the symptoms to his attention. It took a while for my internist to address the dry eye as I didn't make it clear how intolerable it had become.

As a sidebar, I live in southern California where nearly everyone (yes even some doggys! ) wear sunglasses. I have some that block ultraviolet rays and slightly wrap around to cut off more bright light. Sunglasses are essential for nearly every driver esp. in the early morning or late afternoon when the sun is low and the glare is blinding. Since they are prescription, I wore them in the UK when visiting there. People did make remarks, esp. up in Scotland. But I was absolved of social offense as an eccentric Californian. Maybe you could play it for laughs (the celeb angle works) and joke "No pictures! No pictures!" I told people these were 'magic sunglasses' that made the sun come out..... funniest thing, it did! Wherever I travelled unseasonal sunshine followed.....

Seriously your eyes may do better and the social pressure is just nonesense at the end of the day. If you're in London they seem to have as eccentric an element as here in LA. Your eyes (and sanity) count for more. Wishing you the very best on finding the way through this stressful condition.
                        froniga

Comment

Hi froniga,

Im not ussually on any drugs so wouldnt be that im affraid. Lately ive been getting really bad heart burn and indegestion for the last 2 weeks, ive tried loads of stuff and nothing is helping! GOD IS THERE EVER AN END TO HEALTH PROBLEMS! im really worried about it actualy, my sinuses dont feel as bad, but this does. Anyone had this problem???? its been 1 week and a half and it still feels as bad, I have tried gavisgone, antacids, zantac, and am on omperizode (sp?) which is an acid blocker.. urghh its driving me up the wall!!!!!!!!!!!! Im only 21 and i wouldnt have thought anything major was wrong but its not going away!! im worried its gonna be another permanent thing!

Comment

Sazy-

How long were you on the Doxycycline???

I'm just guessing here (not a doctor, blah, blah, blah) and I'm treading awfully close to what some people would consider quackery, BUT ....

You may have developed/be developing the first signs of a yeast infection from the antibiotics. If I were you, I'd start eating (a bunch of) plain yogurt every day and see if that helps.

I've had this happen ... several times in my life, including now (from this year's two month + course of Doxy for presumed MGD (wasn't. Didn't help). Toenail fungus sprouted. Hands and skin got really dry. Heartburn (that I *never* get), fatigue, sinus issues recurring, etc., etc.

This is one of those things that "conventional medicine" is just starting to figure out, but has forcefully written off for years.

I'm glad your sinuses seem to be getting better. I'm sorry you're dealing with the rest.

====
                            ANTIBIOTICS INCREASE CANDIDA PROLIFERATION
                            http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Abstract

Comment

Neil said:
                              I'm just guessing here (not a doctor, blah, blah, blah) and I'm treading awfully close to what some people would consider quackery, BUT
                              Neil said:
                              I've had this happen ... several times in my life, including now (from this year's two month + course of Doxy for presumed MGD (wasn't. Didn't help). Toenail fungus sprouted. Hands and skin got really dry. Heartburn (that I *never* get), fatigue, sinus issues recurring, etc., etc.
                              Phyllis said: I'm LMAO. Neil, I just finished lunch and had to read about your toenail fungus. Nice timing.

For some reason, your post made me laugh. (It doesn't take much, but you got to my funny bone today.)
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X