Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Toronto Western Hospital eye clinic

Hello everyone,
    I recently had my first (and last) apt at Toronto Western Hospital’s, eye clinic and was very disappointed with it. I waited over 8 months to get there and the head doc was arrogant and was very uninformed with regards to my case. He didn’t read my chart after I waited 3 hours to see him, tried to prescribe medications I have already tried and am allergic to, thought I had 20/20 sight when I do not. I refused to answer any direct questions about my case when I asked. He also does laser eye surgery at a local place in Toronto and I felt he runs quite a racket, doing surgery outside the hospital and then treating the cases that don’t go well. One of his associates told me during my exam that the eye clinic does not recommend laser eye surgery to new patients due to all the issues and complications they deal with at the clinic. I felt this was unethical and a conflict of interest as the head guy does both.
    They wanted me to come back in 2 months but I won’t as I have learned over the past year (and beyond now) that I need to trust those who will care for the health of my eyes. Luckily I have a good optometrist and ophthalmologist that I will now stick with.
    While this apt was disappointing I have to say it was not totally surprising, as I have learned since my own eye surgery that not every doctor’s moral compasses are true. While they may take an oath to heal, some have also taken an oath to get rich at the cost of people’s health it would seem.
    fiddle

Hi fiddle,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond . . . I certainly wanted to add my two cents worth

Our Canadian Health Care system seems to be very heavily stretched, with long wait times and questionable thoroughness on the part of some doctors. Waiting three hours is just to long. I can't imagine this kind of a wait being accepted in other areas of the public service.

I totally agree. . . Lasik surgeons should not be working, not to mention managing publically funded hospital eye clinics. Given that there are so many potential complications with refractive surgery, I don't believe it is appropriate for lasik doctors to be 'double dipping', taking money for laser eye surgery and then taking money again to address complications arising from this surgery, even though they did not directly perform the surgery. This certainly strikes me as a conflict of interest!! Maybe if enough people alert Health Canada of the complications they experienced with laser eye surgery, Health Canada and the provincial health care providers will reconsider their position on refractive surgery.

It is good to find an optometrist that you can trust for follow up lasik care.

Season's Greetings!

Comment

Working...
    X