Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

can someone recommend me a skin/face moisturizer safe around eyes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can someone recommend me a skin/face moisturizer safe around eyes?

hi, I use Ocusoft 2 -3 times a day & its really drying out the skin around my eyelids. I need to start using some moisturizer but dont know which ones are safe for me. I am very sensitive to any harsh chemicals & oils/perfumes around or in my eyes. Anyone know of a moisturizer cream/lotion brand that is gentle enough that it wont do damge or sting if it gets into my eyes?
    thanks...btw, I have dry eye do to aqueous deficiency.
    miserable in Miami...

I use Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15. So far I have not had any problems with it and I tend to be allergic and/or sensitive to many different substances. http://www.purposeskincare.com/

I have used it for probably ten years. It was originally recommended to me by a dermatologist.

If my eyelids or the skin around and under my eyes are particularly red or dry, I use Vaseline on that area until it is back to normal.
    Last edited by Scout; 19-Dec-2011, 16:50. Reason: clarity

Comment

You can probably find something at these sites below. I'm not happy with my facial products so can't recommend them. I have to search below sites myself this weekend and find something.

http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/

http://lesstoxicguide.ca/index.asp?fetch=personal#lotio

http://shopping.goodguide.com/about

http://www.psico.com/products/products.cfm#

Mary

Comment

i use eyecream that is very emollient-like this olive oil eye cream from mario badescu--not sure though if you would be sensitive to the ingredients.. i have tried so many andhave found things that have 'rose hips" and other ingredients to really make my eyes water...

also, i too use vasoline or aquafor on the actual eyelids or right below the lash line on lower eyelids when they are super dry--- it is thick and doesnt go into the eye--
        Jenny

Comment

I use organic caster oil, it can be used on eyelids as well. It doesnt have any chemicals in it and is oil for dry skin.
          I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

We are having success with all-natural moisturisers made from beeswax (cera alba) base, honey, and various additions like manuka honey, manuka oil, propolis. No chemicals, no perfumes or preservatives.

LM is using them for reinfecting rosacea along with chronic use of topical antibacterials. The moisturisers are particularly reducing redness and dryness on the nose, and it is noticeable when she skips even a day, and she loves them. No sting, no flush, to all the components. With chemicals and detergents she gets a long-lasting red flush on the cheeks and a dry red nose, so we are also trying them as a buffer on the face before eg hairwash because the beeswax survives the detergent and stays on beautifully. Honey is antibacterial and antifungal, and I am hoping we can reduce chronic use of the prescription antibacterials to pulse treatments and support the skin's barrier.

These moisturisers feel so good and natural, especially on dry skin and crepiness around the eyes. To me, beeswax feels right for the human skin. Many countries have smaller businesses making bee moisturisers and soaps (beware over-priced chain store products with chemicals and perfumes in), eg http://www.naturesgiftuk.co.uk
            Last edited by littlemermaid; 22-Dec-2011, 15:41.
            Paediatric ocular rosacea ~ primum non nocere

Comment

thanks guys, wow looks like Ill have to do some research & visit some of my local drug stores.

I use Purpose Dual Treatment Moisture Lotion with SPF 15. So far I have not had any problems with it and I tend to be allergic and/or sensitive to many different substances. http://www.purposeskincare.com/
              huh thats what my mom uses, I guess I can start with that first.

i dont have rosacea or mgd but 1 1/2 years of AT drops, restasis, OcuSoft & now serum tears have taken a toll on the skin around my eyes ! Theyre always itchy(though not really red) & look awful, like theyve aged 10 years!
              miserable in Miami...

Comment

Chimera,
                I don't know your situation, but can you cut use of the ocusoft back to once a day or less? and you might look at Burt's Bee's (brand name) for a natural /no preservatives facial wash and moisturizer.

Comment

Be careful of that Purpose product because it has a formaldehyde-reseasing ingredient in it, Diazolidinyl Urea. I looked up the ingredients on drugstore.com. The way my formaldehyde hypersensitivity affects me (mostly) is in my eyes and it's horrible because it lasts for days and there's nothing you can do but keep rewetting the eyes with drops. If you're not allergic to it, it may be fine, but I suspect some people in this group have trouble treating dry eye due to chemical allergies, like me. And formaldehyde is a common allergen.

Some other formaldehyde-releasing preservatives to look for on labels are Quaternium-15, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethylolmethyl hydantoin, Bronopol, Germall 115, Germall II, Tris Nitro and imidazolidinyl urea.

I think I'm going to search for a moisturizer for myself on drugstore.com by using "sensitive skin" as a search term. But I'll still have to check ingredients labels.

Mary

Comment

Originally posted by MaryVa61 View Post
                    Be careful of that Purpose product because it has a formaldehyde-reseasing ingredient in it, Diazolidinyl Urea. I looked up the ingredients on drugstore.com. The way my formaldehyde hypersensitivity affects me (mostly) is in my eyes and it's horrible because it lasts for days and there's nothing you can do but keep rewetting the eyes with drops. If you're not allergic to it, it may be fine, but I suspect some people in this group have trouble treating dry eye due to chemical allergies, like me. And formaldehyde is a common allergen.

Some other formaldehyde-releasing preservatives to look for on labels are Quaternium-15, DMDM Hydantoin, Dimethylolmethyl hydantoin, Bronopol, Germall 115, Germall II, Tris Nitro and imidazolidinyl urea.

I think I'm going to search for a moisturizer for myself on drugstore.com by using "sensitive skin" as a search term. But I'll still have to check ingredients labels.

Mary
                    Hi Mary,

Thank you for pointing this out. I would be really upset if I recommended a product that made anyone's symptoms worse. I guess it really pays to find out what exactly you are sensitive to before you try another product or another medication.

I guess I am not sensitive to anything in the Purpose lotion, fortunately. However, I have tried many different products, including Nutragena and Eucerin, that were supposed to be for "sensitive skin" and I had skin and eye reactions.

Ironically, I avoid all products that are "organic" "natural" or "botanical" because I found out that I am highly sensitive to organics and especially anything that is botanical. The fragrance and also the plant itself causes a reaction on my skin and eyes.

So I avoid most of the natural products that most people here really promote.

It pays to really know which products, chemicals and fragrances we are sensitive to.

Everyone is different.

Scout

Comment

jojoba oil...natural, helps with rosacea...cheap and good for your face!

Comment

Originally posted by regina View Post
                        jojoba oil...natural, helps with rosacea...cheap and good for your face!
                        Jojoba is another example of what I posted above. It is considered safe for use on the skin, except for the rare rash and allergic reactions in some people. Of course, I am one of those people that can't tolerate it near my eyes on or my skin.

From WebMD:
                        http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supple...entName=JOJOBA
                        Jojoba is considered SAFE for most people when used on the skin. It can cause some side effects such as rash and allergic reactions.
                        Natural does not necessarily mean safe for everyone. It is very important to find out which substances can help you and which can make things worse. It is not always what you think.

Everyone is different.

Comment

Speaking or formaldehyde releasers...

The Ocusoft lid scrub foam also contains one: quaternium 15. Just wanted to mention this in case others are trying to avoid them like Mary is. (I am too!)

I have also found that the ingredients isododecane and to a lesser degree, isohexadecane bother my eyes as well. These seem to be in a lot of products now so avoiding them has been challenging.

I use Paula's Choice Moisture Boost Hydrating Treatment Cream with no problems and have used it for at least 5 yrs now. Here is the product link- click on the "ingredients" tab for details.
                          http://www.paulaschoice.com/product/...m/moisturizers
                          Hth!
                          Last edited by alisonW; 26-Dec-2011, 17:11.

Comment

I wonder if this product would work for you? It only seems to contain a few ingredients, which is generally the way to go. I'd get unscented of course, even though the scents are natural.

http://shop.sixwise.com/surgeonssecr...25ozstick.aspx

Mary

Comment

well now I dont know...I got tested for allergies & i came out negative for everything, but I have no idea if any of those chemicals were in the test.

I use ocusoft twice a day now, i used to use it 3 to 4 times a day. I need to use something like it b/c I get so much residue/gunk/flakes from the hourly use of Refresh & other drops. I wonder if its the constant use of drops that have me itchy & not so much the Ocu...

I notice on the Purpose bottle says it cant get into your eyes. I need something that I can spread very close under/over the lid margin of my eye b/c that where it itches. I do use Aveno natural skin cream for the rest of my body & havent had problems with it, maybe I can find soemthing for my face from them? Im also gona try Burts Bee's, many folks with allergies seem to like that product.

thanks for the help and ideas so far, keep em coming!
                              miserable in Miami...

Comment

Working...
                              X