In the news today - a new drop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In the news today - a new drop

There was an article in the paper today about a new drop being developed: http://www.vancouversun.com/eyes+dro...481/story.html

Here's the pubmed abstract: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?t...iointerface%20

I'd like to point out that TearLab is involved, but they don't mention osmolarity. I don't know if that's strange or not!

I saw this too. I wonder if it would be over the counter.

Comment

Excellent! Any idea as to when it is coming out or any other ways of getting a hold of it?

Comment

I think that one's going to be one of the most promising drugs coming. Will be quite some time though and no, not OTC.
        Rebecca Petris
        The Dry Eye Foundation
        dryeyefoundation.org
        800-484-0244

Comment

Yeah seems like a good few years.

Comment

Seems like just another bandaid fix to a much more complex problem. Another lubricant drop ? Apply, apply, reapply, a drug company's dream. I've tried every possible drop on the market. They work from 30 seconds to a few minutes.( and I have punctal plugs !) Completely unsustainable. Hate to be a negative nabob, but its depressing that Rebecca thinks this may be the most promising things coming because she is very knowledgeable of the products coming on stream.

Comment

fundryeyes:

I don't mind you being pessimistic, but I'd leave out the part about calling out a dry eye zone member.

Comment

Originally posted by fundryeyes View Post
                Rebecca thinks this may be the most promising things coming
                To put a little context around this: I am not a drug fan (in general, and in dry eye) and I do not place great stock in upcoming drugs for any broadbrush use, however, I recognize that certain drugs have the potential to improve quality of life for certain groups of people with dry eye and for the ones they benefit this can be very important. I had an opportunity to meet with David Sullivan a couple months back and was impressed with what he had to share about this one (we talked through status of other drugs as well). Have been meaning to write it up for the site & bulletin but misplaced my notes in the move... I'm sure they'll surface soon.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

I was in contact with David Sullivan during the summer of 2010 and I was impressed with him also. I was very happy to see he was a co-author on the paper! But then was a little disconcerted when I saw TearLab too! Oh well. I think that one day there will be better drops for us. Hopefully this will be one.

Comment

David Sullivan is responsible for discovering that Sjogrens patients are androgen deficient causing MGD and general tear film instability. This research has been around since the early nineties. He also discovered that lacrimal and an meibomian glands are regulated by testosterone.

Hormone imbalance and\or androgen deficiency are very common in the world we now live in.
                    Jamie

Comment

Originally posted by Tankie View Post
                      fundryeyes:

I don't mind you being pessimistic, but I'd leave out the part about calling out a dry eye zone member.
                      Hey Tankie, I'm not sure what you mean by "calling out" This is a grown up forum , perhaps you should direct your efforts to a more constructive cause ? Cheers

Comment

hey i just think its great anytime a "new drop" may or may not come out... it gives up hope. no its not a cure but could help a lot of people. we gotta keep up hope guys!!
                        Jenny

Comment

This is a grown up forum
                          It's a grown up forum with a high standard of civility amongst members where we all appreciate efforts to err on the side of politeness, given how the intended 'tone' of a post can be easily misconstrued.
                          Rebecca Petris
                          The Dry Eye Foundation
                          dryeyefoundation.org
                          800-484-0244

Comment

yes i agree and emails. and texts too can be so miscontrued.... yikes. i am just happy to hear about the possibiity of a new drop.yeay!
                            Jenny

Comment

What we need is Restasis that works...a drug that will dramatically increase tear production based on the dosage from subtle to flooding the eye. A "dial a yield" drug. That would a winner.

Comment

Working...
                              X