• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Doctors: Improve Quality of Tear Film Prior to Punctal Occlusion

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article.aspx?article=86437

Ophthalmology Management September 2005

excerpt:

"In the old days, I used punctal occlusion on day 1," Dr. Sheppard says. "In severe cases, I started with a collagen plug, followed by cauterization. For milder cases, I'd trial, and then insert a silicone plug."

Dr. Sheppard changed his approach as both the literature and his own experience revealed problems with early punctal occlusion.

"Now the paradigm has really changed because we know plugs can trap 'bad tears,'" he says. "Pflugfelder and colleagues1 have shown that punctal occlusion can worsen a Schirmer test score, and premature occlusion can harm the biofeedback loop to the ocular surface enervation."

Dr. Holland recalls, "In the old paradigm, we gave dry eye patients some artificial tears and occluded their puncta. The eyes looked moist, but they were still red and painful. The patient had more tears but often was not happy."

Dr. Donnenfeld uses a bathtub analogy to describe the situation. "If someone bathed in a tub, you'd drain the dirty water and refill it before the next bath. The same applies to punctal plugs," he says. "In an eye with inflammatory mediators like cytokines, interleukin and neutrophils, why would you want to insert a plug and keep these inflammatory cells on the ocular surface? With an anti-inflammatory approach, we fill the tub with fresh, new water. We treat the inflammation, and then we insert the plugs. This therapy improves not only the quantity of tears, but also the quality of the tear film on the ocular surface."

In this approach, physicians start by improving the quality of the tear film, eliminating the cytokines, down-regulating the T-cell activation on the ocular surface and improving goblet cell production and the mucin layer of the tear film by reducing ocular surface inflammation.

"If anti-inflammatory therapy doesn't work or it doesn't work completely — and that often happens in moderate and severe cases — then we follow with punctal occlusion 4 to 6 weeks after starting anti-inflammatory therapy." Dr. Sheppard says.

By prescribing an anti-inflammatory first, physicians have greater success with punctal occlusion. Dr. Holland points out, "The anti-inflammatory makes a big difference because we soothe a mediator of the pain and all the complications we might see."

I had seen this once before but could not find it. Thanks much. I experienced this first hand, with an increase in inflammation after I got my plugs. I had to use Lotemax for a short time to get things under control.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

I can certainly relate to this "drain the bath theory", even without the plugs, as I use saline solution to drain bad tears all day long...
      I believe that if you simply use viscous lubricants without cleaning first you'd be recreating the same phenomenon... at a reduced level though.
      Sounds like the docs are doing some progress in listening to our complaints...
      I've seen similar articles during the last 2 years... altough many of us had reported that "draining" is crucial before!
      take care,
      Kakinda
      Last edited by kakinda; 05-Jul-2006, 06:36.

Comment

i could not handle the pain so began the plugs 3 weeks after the steroid drops (but pain began 2 months earlier) that did not help. I did not wait 6 weeks because i did not know about this and no doc told me. Ugh, now worried about making problems worse.

Comment

Great info, thanks!

This one made me think, since there's been no talk here in bassackward Europe of reducing inflammation, improving tear film, reducing cytokines, or anything else of the sort.

From what the doctors here have told me, all of that is science fiction.

I have to get to another country.
          ---
          Blepharitis leads to MGD causes dry eye?
          Dry eye drops cause eyelid irritation exacerbating Blepharitis?

Comment

Try France... well actually Paris.
            because about a 2 years ago they started talking about reducing inflammation first.
            K

Comment

Working...
            X