No announcement yet.

hope: we're not hypochondriacs anymore!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hope: we're not hypochondriacs anymore!

Hi, well there's nothing really new in this article but it relates to the discussion in another threat about a change in doctor's behaviour (notably the recognition of patient subjective sign and complaints, that finally we're not just a bunch of hypochondriacs... despite the ulcers and stuff... and that we do deserve propper care even when not during the critical periods... for me ulcers).
    We may be entering a new diplomatic era for patient/ophthalmologists discussions.
    I just felt some hope after reading this, so I wanted to share this feeling, orthewise it's just an overview article you may have read somewhere

http://www.ophmanagement.com/article.aspx?article=86286

take care
    K

Good article, thanks! I'm happy to know that I am not going crazy when I say I can't see as well as I would like, but the eye doc says my corrected vision has not changed and is fine!
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

That was a good article - its good to know that some doctors at least appreciate the impact it can have.

Comment

I can't stand it when doctors call their patients hypochondriacs. There was a doctor apparently in the hospital that I work in that referred to a patient as having "Personality type A". I only hope that whatever is wrong with the patient happens to her one day. And, I have a good idea who it probably was although I never found out for sure. She is a jerk. But, for the most part, the doctors are really good.

Comment

So what's wrong with noting that someone has a type A or a type B personality? In medical terms, a type A is one who is at high risk for cardiovascular disease and other stress related illnesses. By nature they always try to find more hours in the day, they are workaholics and often don't take time out to take care of themselves. Hypochondriasis is a distinctly separate disorder. Both of course can occur in the same person. I would hope a doctor would pick up on a Type A personality type during his/her history and physical. Now, if that comment were made to label a difficult patient a hypochondriac, that would be another story. In my experience as an RN, we in the medical profession calls em as we sees em! A type A is a type A, a hypochondriac is a hypochondriac. If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.....I'm not saying that you did, but we should all be careful not to take things out of context!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by kitty
            Good article, thanks! I'm happy to know that I am not going crazy when I say I can't see as well as I would like, but the eye doc says my corrected vision has not changed and is fine!

I could not have said it better myself Kitty.

Thanks for the article it is nice to be vindicated,
            Jeff

Comment

Working...
            X