Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A hypothetical scheme about dry eye resulting from eye injury (Lasik and others)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A hypothetical scheme about dry eye resulting from eye injury (Lasik and others)

A hypothetical scheme about dry eye resulting from eye injury (Lasik and others)
    It is known that many dry eye cases are related to neural problem of ocular surface. The corneal cells, the conjunctival cells and others glandular cells in ocular surface, especially goblet cells produces mucus (mucin). These cells, like other glands in the ocular surface (aqueous layer and lipid layer[?]) depends ocular surface’s nerve impulses to make the secretion. See the picture attached!!! In this scheme, it's demonstrated that the dry eye resulting from eye injury may have two sources (damages to glandular cell and damage to nerve cells) and also that the photophobia resulting from eye injury may have two sources (dry eye and damage to nerve cells). We need to repair the nerve damage!!!! In this line of guideline Italian researchers are doing tests with nerve growth factors (NGF). THIS COULD BE THE SOLUTION!!!!!

SEE this: http://www.dryeyezone.com/talk/showthread.php?15051

sorry my english
    Last edited by cvowr; 25-Feb-2012, 13:14.

I would like to know the mechanism of photophobia due to dry eye, but i have never being able to find an explanation about it.

Comment

Great question. I think the dry eye causes photophobia by the increased sensitivity to light of the nervous ocular surface. This increased sensitivity in turn can be caused by friction of the lids on the ocular surface. Maybe the tear also functions as a bandage, regulating over-stimulation. I also still think that the decrease in tear may allow greater passage of light to the retina, sensitizing it.

Comment

This image of this great site (http://www.oculist.net/downaton502/p...v8/v8c002.html) is self-explanatory. Corneal nerves controls conjunctival nerves. Conjunctival nerves controls goblet cells. Goblet cells produces mucus...

Comment

Working...
        X