This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Decrease swelling?

Does expressing the oil glands reduce the eyelid swelling?

I haven't found it so.

My top / left eyelid is the more sensitive; when I express the glands on that side, I find the lid tends to swell a bit more because of the pressure.

Comment

Does the eyelid swelling ever go down for you?

Comment

No, the eyelids are always swollen but I've had this condition for so long now that I have forgotten what they looked like when they were `normal'.

I would describe their appearance as being more `puffy' than swollen (following gland expression) and that tends to improve within a few hours

Comment

Ok. I do sometime experience the puffiness in the morning but what really bothers me is the fact that all eyelids are swollen and they tire my eyes. Are your glands blocked? Because for me oil comes out if i press but my eyelids are always swollen...

Comment

My eyes make me feel constantly tired; there is a heavy, dull ache around my head all the time.

Yes, the majority of my glands are blocked and the lids are inflamed; blood vessels are prominent (on the lids) although the white of the eyes is reasonably OK.

My consultant doesn't recommend expressing glands too often and I'm trying to follow his advice - but now and again I stray......! On balance, I think they are better for not expressing too much. It's difficult to know what to do because a consultant I had for years (with NHS) suggested I do the expressions regularly.

Comment

For swelling...

You could try cool compresses to reduce swelling.

Also steroids are for inflammation. I often used my steroid drops on my lids (not in the eye). In fact, most of the time when I needed my steroid drops, it was because my lids were painful, hot, swollen, etc. I started putting the drops on my lids and lid margins. It's worth a shot.

Comment

So since you have tried both not to express them and to express them you reckon that your lids are better with the former?

Comment

Hi spmcc did the swollennes went away after the steroid drops?

Comment

Originally posted by Pearl25 View Post
                    Hi spmcc did the swollennes went away after the steroid drops?
                    It may help reduce swelling. There is no guarantee. But it's worth trying especially if you're wary of steroid drops IN your eyes. My doctor recommended putting it on the lids too.

Comment

Steroid drops on the eyelids. . . interesting. I was wondering if anyone found that the steroid drops get rid of the bubbles in the tear film. I have been noticing this more and more lately, although I am feeling a little better and my glands are producing more and more oil.

Comment

spmcc

Also steroids are for inflammation. I often used my steroid drops on my lids (not in the eye). In fact, most of the time when I needed my steroid drops, it was because my lids were painful, hot, swollen, etc. I started putting the drops on my lids and lid margins. It's worth a shot.

I forgot to mention that I actually do that but not as routine because I have had to rely on steroids for years for anterior iritis - a recurring condition. Doctors don't think there is a link between the two conditions and regard is as bad luck more than anything else.

I am currently treating the upper left lid with Prednisolene p.f. - I will tailor that off in a few days.

Hopeful2

I haven't noticed any decrease in `bubbles'.

Comment

Hopeful2

I am sorry for my ignorance but what do bubbles in the tear film mean? Because I noticed that I have them too..

spmcc

I always consider steroid to be my last resort..do you know of any other alternative methods that would help decrease the swelling?

Comment

By bubbles - I assume Hopeful2 meant frothy tear film - you can perform general internet searches on the term to get images.

In my experience, steroids reduce inflammation which in turn brings down the swelling a little - but this is only evident on the underside of the upper lid. I use a steroid to help with inflammation (rather than swelling) because the discomfort and pain can be very distracting.

At times, I use a cold compress to help with swelling; it depends how self conscious it is making me feel. Alleviating discomfort is my priority.

Comment

Thank you irish eyes for your answer so are bubbles a sign of dry eyes?

I don't think my eyelids are inflamed because they are not red although sometime they are red on the underside but they are always swollen. I saw this progressing because before I could touch the eyelids and feel the eyeball underneath but right now I cannot feel it because there is an edema. It has never gone down in months..it doesn't worsen or improve...it s always the same

Comment

Working...
                              X