Brainstorming for a cure?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brainstorming for a cure?

Since a cure for dry eye is what we all want, recently I've been thinking about what I think a cure would look like. Here's my best idea so far:

Cochlear implants use an external source of electricity to simulate the cochlea in different areas, which the brain interprets as sound waves coming in. If we can figure out how to stimulate a sensory organ, then there must be some way to manually stimulate a gland. So my idea for a cure is a small implant with a very long-lasting battery that constantly stimulates the main or accessory lacrimal gland to secrete tears.

I also think that stem cells hold a lot of promise, and it really frustrates me that some politicians are allowing their own personal beliefs to slow progress in this realm. I don't want to start a political debate, but do you think Mr. Bush would be as opposed to stem cell research if he had chronic severe dry eye?

Anyone else have any ideas for a cure? Or comments on how far-fetched my idea is?

No ideas. No, I don't think your idea sounds far fetched. But I can't help but add to the political debate another few diagnoses, such as M.S., paralysis, cancer, Parkinson's. Were you aware that one of his family members, a sister I believe, had or died from Leukemia? Would that not be enough to spark some desire in stem cell research? Maybe his memory is fading? I've probably gone to far, but I could not resist.
    Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

First, if only dry eye was as simple as hearing loss.

My wife has numerous problems and we have discussed this stem cell thing on several occassions. She is not for stem cell work. We believe that sometimes your lot in life is what affects others in a positive way. So her suffering with a smile can be motivation for others to look at their life and maybe change their attitude for the better. Your life, no matter how bad it seems, is always better than someone elses. There is a Jewish saying and I can't pronounce it or say it but the jist is, if everyone put there problems and issues in a pile we would all pull ours back out given the choice.

Comment

Originally posted by Flick
        Cochlear implants use an external source of electricity to simulate the cochlea in different areas, which the brain interprets as sound waves coming in. If we can figure out how to stimulate a sensory organ, then there must be some way to manually stimulate a gland. So my idea for a cure is a small implant with a very long-lasting battery that constantly stimulates the main or accessory lacrimal gland to secrete tears.

I also think that stem cells hold a lot of promise, and it really frustrates me that some politicians are allowing their own personal beliefs to slow progress in this realm.
        Hi Flick,

well actually that's what secretagogues try to do -stimulate gland secretion- so some people are working on it... not using electricity but chemistry.
        another interesting option are growth factors that may stimulate neurotrophic DE and reinforce the mechanism of a sain lachrymal system (including as sain epithelium).
        I agree that stem cells have huge potential and I'm sure that they will be an essential source for "corneal repair" soon... once the damage is done though...

As a European I am not sure i should comment on Bush's opinions but then opinion suggest using the brain so... ... my case rests and I'll await the better judgment of the American people!
        in any case not some kind instinctive reaction to something that is not threatening Life but rather trying to embellish/resume it again for people who are trying hard to fight for it... it being Life.... again this is just my opinion (and furthermore an European one so...).

limbal (limbic?) stem cells die everyday because of ocular surface diseases -including DE - not sure Bush is having nightmares about it.

The good news are that stem cells are being investigated in other countries (including European and Asian ones and progress is being made.... recently a team from my town recreated the stromal layer of the cornea, the italian recreated the epithelium, etc)...

And someone will eventually replace Mr. B...

hang in there Flick and don't plug yourself to the current in the meantime,
        take care
        K
        Last edited by kakinda; 19-Jul-2006, 05:02. Reason: missing words or letters

Comment

Kakinda, you are too funny!
          Every day with DES is like a box of chocolates...You never know what you're going to get.

Comment

And someone will eventually replace Mr. B...
            So, that's when my eyes will get better! I can't wait.

No matter what, he's gonna be replaced in two years, six months. That will have made my dry eye run nine years exactly. God, I hope you're right. I will start counting the days.
            Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Oh Lucy. Sure, you're life's gonna suddenly change once Mr. B is gone?

Just so everyone is clear...if the US government doesn't fund embryonic stem cell research, it doesn't mean some other entity cannot fund the research. It is not illegal to do the research. It's just means that at present governement dollars will not be spent on the research...or at least not on research that is destroying human embryos. The government is funding research that does not include destroying human embryos. It's the media who wants us all to believe that the current administration simply is not allowing any of it to happen.

I'm certain if one wanted to find a company who is doing the embryonic research, one could make a donation to help fund it. I mean, if you have so much faith that it will cure what ails you, then fund it yourself. If a large pharmaceutical company expects to make progress and lot of money on such research, they are welcome to do it. I'm sure they'd love your donation.

For the record, I have terrible dry eye and suffer every minute because of it. And still I am against this research. I should clarify that I am against destroying human embroyos. There's much to this research, I am certain, that I am not against. Stem cells do come from other sources.

It would be pertinent to know exactly what stem cell research is and does and its possibilities before one makes a judgement about it.
              Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

Originally posted by dianat
                It would be pertinent to know exactly what stem cell research is and does and its possibilities before one makes a judgement about it.
                There certainly is some relevance of stem cell research to dry eye - I'm thinking of limbal stem cell transplantation in cases of severe dry eye from LSCD - however I thought this was typically done with a graft from the fellow eye. I have never looked into it in much detail. Google limbal stem cell transplantation and you'll see a lot more info. If you're squeamish be prepared for gory photos.
                Rebecca Petris
                The Dry Eye Foundation
                dryeyefoundation.org
                800-484-0244

Comment

Well,

I believe it should always be a personal choice to benefit from this research or not... so you're free to refuse – and I certainly respect that - and others may be free to accept too.

Yes, there stem cells taken from the other eye's limbus for instance or in some adult tissues such as the bone marrow, but I believe we were talking about stem cell research on non-viable or destined to be destroyed human embryos…. At least that’s what I thought Flick meant... so never destined to create a living being either....so it's not exactly killing babies as some put it. At least this is what is currently done in France.
                  The problem with non-embryonic ones is that they may undergo a senescence process – to put in simple terms they become old and lose their amazing properties.
                  What is now forbidden under the Bush Adm. , if my (European) memory serves me right and of course I’m speaking as layman as far as internal American policy is concerned, is the use of embryonic stem cells acquired after 2002 (which means that just a few are available) and any kind of federal funding for that research is forbidden.
                  So it’s actually it’s actually a serious restriction for American teams… but if the US don’t do others will (well they’re actually doing it).
                  However, I believe that there are specific state policies and it seems to me that you just had an election in California authorizing stem cell research (about 60 per cent of Californians were in favour…).

But you may want to check this yourselves just in case my euro-memory failed me…

However, if I may express my opinion on this, saving lives is a way of respecting Life, so to waste the ability or the gift of saving lives, is in my opinion, an ethical crime… a shame too…

Anyway, this is a long debate and when clinical applications in dry eye-related problems become available, Mr. B won’t be there anymore … so we’ll have plenty of time to express our opinions - in a different setting - till then... Here was mine.

Take care
                  K

PS: now concerning my area of expertise: Mr B’s administration isn’t always so concerned about saving real –I mean non-hypothetical this time - human lives… otherwise it would change its policy concerning arms transfers, international humanitarian law (landmines & clusters, etc), the environmental issues… und so weitter. People may think whatever they like as long as they are coherent with themselves… because if anything by “you shall not kill” God probably meant that you shouldn’t help others to do it either (and this includes weaponry transfer) … unless of course too much Celluvisc-induced blurry vision caused me to skip that in which one would be allowed to do that..

Surely, you may think otherwise…and I’m done with American policy anyway and should be concentrating on DE... but then again we're slightly more than just unhealthy corneas aren’t we?
                  The brain is always willing to debate about almost anything... but the eyes: all they care for is another drop and less computer... possibly a treatment someday in whatever shape or form. The most intelligent of the two must surrender... unfortunately.
                  so it's not always the most intelligent that rules...Sorry, I promised to stop!

Comment

Just so everyone is clear...if the US government doesn't fund embryonic stem cell research, it doesn't mean some other entity cannot fund the research. It is not illegal to do the research. It's just means that at present governement dollars will not be spent on the research...or at least not on research that is destroying human embryos. The government is funding research that does not include destroying human embryos. It's the media who wants us all to believe that the current administration simply is not allowing any of it to happen.
                    Yes, but federal funding is so critical to medical research and developments, which is why this has become such an issue. If private companies were willing and able to afford research into such uncharted territory, then I would have no problem with our government not joining in.

I'm certain if one wanted to find a company who is doing the embryonic research, one could make a donation to help fund it. I mean, if you have so much faith that it will cure what ails you, then fund it yourself. If a large pharmaceutical company expects to make progress and lot of money on such research, they are welcome to do it. I'm sure they'd love your donation.
                    True, but unfortunately I don't believe that my $20 will make much of a difference. I think that stem cell research has the potential to help with dry eyes, which of course is one reason I'm all for it, but I also think it could help in pretty much every area of medicine.

For the record, I have terrible dry eye and suffer every minute because of it. And still I am against this research. I should clarify that I am against destroying human embroyos. There's much to this research, I am certain, that I am not against. Stem cells do come from other sources.
                    Fertility clinics in the US currently hold approximately 400,000 unneeded embryos that are destined for disposal. I don't believe that embryo's should be created solely for research, but if they've already been created and will be destroyed otherwise, why not use them for research to treat diabetes, Parkinson's, Alzheimer's, spinal cord injuries, etc?

The possibilities are impossible to know. A solid majority of Americans now support human embryonic stem cell research, so I have faith that our democratic system will soon (2008) reflect this.

Comment

I was prepared for the backlash.

I do not care to nor to I have the time to tap out a lengthy message defending George Bush and all his policies to the world. I simply wanted to make something clear, which I apparently did not: the Bush Admin. didn't illegalize embryonic stem cell research. They just didn't fund it. The US govt. did agree to fund research on the original lines of embryonic cells, but that was all. Bush didn't exactly single-handedly squelch progress. The private sector is perfectly capable of handling this research. That's how it works here in the States.

And incidentally, private companies do have the money to conduct this research. If there's opporunity for profit, they'll find the means. If embryonic research is valuable, it will find its way with or without the US govt throwing your tax dollars at it. And, incidentally, it is your money they are spending, so don't underestimate your $20. If the majority of Americans are so sure of embryonic stem cell research, then everybody's 20 bucks would add up pretty quickly.

Moreover, considering that I have moral issues with embryonic research, one might conclude that I might also have an issue with unused frozen embryos lying around fertility clinics waiting for disposal or research. I wouldn't want any of my unusued embryos used that way (if I had any.) And yes, I feel strongly enough about this that I am willing to live with dry eye forever. (I consider it taking the high road.) I mean, it wouldn't be cool of me to criticize stem cell research and then jump on the bandwagon if it miraculously cured dry eye syndrome.

Unfortunately for the rest of you, I have not read anything that has convinced me that embryonic stem cells are going to cure dry eye. Limbal cells are one thing, but I've not seen any research where embryonic cells specifically should be any better.

Comment

This too will probably start a backlash, but I started it so I will step up to the plate and take it. The people have spoken. Both the House and the Senate passed the bill. I do not understand what right (other than a constitutional one) that B. has to go against the wishes of the people because of a religious belief? I thought there was a separation of church and state? I guess that one does not apply either with this administration. If this bill were not vetoed, then I would have the choice as to whether or not I want to benefit from the research. With the veto, I have no choice at all. I don't appreciate the government stepping in and making decisions about my life or any one elses life. I did not agree with it with Teri Sheivo (sorry if I spelled it wrong), and I don't agree with it now. Thanks. I'm done.
                        I am happy that we still have the freedom to voice our opinions, differing they may be!

Comment

I mean, if you have so much faith that it will cure what ails you, then fund it yourself.
                          Im sorry but I have to take issue with this as I feel it was silly thing to say and slightly offensive. Did you personally fund the research that led to you being able to use serum drops to make your dry eye more manageable? - I doubt it. Public money should not fund it just because you dont agree with it?

Whether or not people agree with this kind of research on moral or religious grounds should not come into it. It should not stop research that could potentially make a huge difference to the life expectancy and quality of life for people with all kinds of debilitating illnesses/conditions which can be absolutely devastating to that person and their families. If it happened that a discovery was made that could help dry eye sufferers also then great.

Stem cell research may well be much ado about nothing and I would imagine that only the extremely wealthy are likely to benefit from any discoveries in any case. I cant honestly see it benefiting me any time soon, yet I would not wish to stand in its way.

It would indeed be pertinent to know exactly what stem cell research is and does and its possibilities before one makes a judgement about it.

Comment

I must agree that I am also very happy to live in a country where we can openly banter about our government regardless of our stance. I will also add, too, that I will not take personally any comments made to me or about me, and will not lose sleep over it or log off this site forever...unless, of course, that's what everyone wants...

Okay. Now let me reiterate again in simple terms so that we are all clear.

The US government is not offering any additional funding for embryonic stem cell research. That's not to say that there isn't any federal money going into other types of stem cell research and a little going into embryonic research. So, you are getting your blessed research...you're just not getting full financial support from your governement for embryonic research.

The private sector is more than capable of conducting stem cell and embryonic stem cell research without the federal government. Why is everyone so certain that the only way there will be progress made here is with the help of the federal governement? We have the greatest health care system in the world becaue it is not controlled by the federal governement.

So, in a free market, the private sector (and I do not necessarily mean you and me-I mean pharmaceutical companies) will look at the potential of stem cell research and will conduct it if it is profitable for them. The only way it will be profitable is if it works. This can happen without federal money.

President Bush does have a certain amount of control over the purse strings. His moral stance regarding embryonic research is this:

"In this new era, our challenge is to harness the power of science to ease human suffering without sanctioning the practices that violate the dignity of human life,"

I happen to agree with this. He was, indeed, elected by a majority whether you like his stance or not. The separation of church and state refers in greater part to the separation of religious and government institutions and could certainly not guarantee that a government representative whether conservative or liberal is going to make decisions in a vacuum clear of any moral influence. How many decisions do many of us make where we don't factor in morality at least to some degree?

Regarding my personally financing blood serum drop research...

If I had been aware years ago that I was going to be suffering like I am with dry eye and I knew of serum research being done, you can bet I'd have offered a monetary donation to that cause in a nanosecond. It would be no different than my current donations to research for juvenile diabetes, cystic fibrosis and cancer. I sure as hell wouldn't sit around griping about the fedaral government overlooking my need for funding.

So, SusieD, keep in mind that public money is MY money and YOUR money. The governement doesn't just print it and spend it. It's tax money taken from our pockets and redistributed. And no, I do not want my money used to fund embryonic stem cell research.

Comment

My eye hurts too bad to read all through the stuff, but we can all agree to disagree, hopefully. Or agree to agree. Or agree we all have dry eyes.

I do get a tickle about the people who live outside the US who do not like our policies and complain about them. I get an even bigger tickle about those who live in the US and hate everything about the US. They hate George, they hate US policy, they hate this n' that and all will be well once George is out of office. If I really, really liked other countries' policies better, I'd move there as fast as possible.

I was at a concert this past weekend on the Canadian border. 90% of the people were Canadian and I was talking with the man behind me for a few minutes asking how he liked their national healthcare system. The concert started and our conversation was interruped. His beginning statement was an affirmative nodding of his head. That he DID like the Canadian system, while he was *****ing about everything else in his country. Most times when I speak to Canadians about their health system, they do not like it and wail about the deficiencies, weaknesses and lengthy waiting periods.

So, we can always try living somewhere else to see how much better it will be. I'd have dry eyes in Canada or in Britian or Poland. I doubt if I'd be able to do the things I've been able to try outside the good old USA.

When the year 2009 rolls around, all American evil will be gone and we'll all be the better for it.
                              Don't trust any refractive surgeon with YOUR eyes.

The Dry Eye Queen

Comment

Working...
                              X