Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

aritificial tears reduce shirmers scores?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• aritificial tears reduce shirmers scores?

I have wondered about this before and came accross an article on www.opthalmologymanagement.com regarding this.

The article itself focuses on treatment for Ocular rosacea but also looks at dry eye too.

It looks at treatment with cyclosporin compared with a control group just using artificial tears. The group just using the artificial tears actually showed a reduction in the amount of tears they produced (shirmer scores) and a reduced TBUT.

Is it possible that by supplementing your tears (especially regularly) your eyes may become 'lazy' and produce less of their own because you are doing it artificially. What made me wonder was because (and I know its a different situation) many years ago when I had to take a course of steroids (systemic) due to an acute asthma flare, my doc explained that they dont like to do this too much because you can end up needing them long term - due to your body becoming 'lazy' and not producing any steroids naturally. Well this is how he explained it to me and Ive always remembered that. I just wondered whether it could be a similar thing with tear production.

Has anyone come accross any info/evidence to suggest this?

Sorry I dont have the link for the article right now but I will look it up again and post it.

Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on this.

Susie,

I do recall reading something similar, but I believe it was in regard to punctal plugs. The gist of the report was that when one dams up tears, the nerves of the eye sense the additional moisture and cut back on tear production. It follows the same logic as the article you've read regarding drops.

We just can't seem to win, can we.

D
    Never play leapfrog with a unicorn.

Comment

That sounds about right! and thats all they tell us to do over here keep using them as often as possible, which i dont bother doing coz theres no point, and i dont listen to them anyway, coz they dont know what there talking about. My eyes still feel abit worse dwelle has helped abit, so i will use that for the time being. rant over
      I healed my dry eye with nutrition and detoxification. I'm now a Nutritional Therapist at: www.nourishbalanceheal.com Join my dry eye facebook group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/420821978111328/

Comment

I guess the question is what regulates tear production? Is it the feedback from the nerves? Is it something hormonal? Does anyone know?

Comment

Working...
        X